Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by scubadu
As an EXP not impacted by this policy not getting an email about it matters because....

Regards
1. You would be able to inform your non-EXP travelling companions that they are likewise entitled to a drink.
2. Warn you to not smugly inform your travelling companions that you are entitled to a free drink and they are not.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Update from last night's flight. So upon boarding, I was aisle seat, another gentleman was at the window, and we started chatting about how nice it was that we had an open middle. I then informed him that starting today the seats included alcoholic beverages. He said he did not know about that and thought that was pretty cool. He then fell asleep before the first beverage service came through, so needless to say he did not order anything during the time when all this confusion with the FA went down. He woke up about an hour and a half later, and then a second drink service came through and he ordered a beer from this same FA. I thought to myself, uh-oh, I just got done telling this guy about free drinks in this section and now this FA is going to charge him for this beer and it's going to get awkward. She went to the back of the plane to get the type of beer he wanted and I quickly grabbed my phone and started pulling up the email so I could show it to her when she asked him for his card. Well, perhaps enough people had mentioned something or she actually read her email during the flight, but when she came back with the beer she just handed it to him and did not charge.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:15 am

Also get a full can of soda, rather than the usual thimble full served over a mountain of ice.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AAway
What a sh** show. I can't believe there's not some system in place for FA's (and other work groups as applicable) to electronically acknowledge receipt and understanding of operational changes such a this so that management can ensure the employees have received the information and follow up on those who have not acknowledged.

I had a similar situation (kind of) -- I was in F recently and the FA was taking orders, had his manifest, and looked at me and said "Pro (I think is what he said) ... hmmm I've never seen that before. That must mean you're extra special". I just played dumb as I didn't think it was my place to train the FA on the new elite level that his company introduced about a year prior. He must also not read his email very often

Does anyone have any insight on this?
The manifest in F lists status for pax. IIRC it says "Pro" for Platinum Pro and "EP" for Exec Plat. Lots of reports on FT indicate that AA's FAs don't get much in the way of detailed updates regarding CS related changes to AAdvantage.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Really confused about the revenue strategy here. As a gold, I buy MCE seats 25% of the time, which will now be 0%, also looking at the thread, I am not alone. Wondering if the 85% of AA's customers that fly once a year will shell out the extra cash for the MCE seat? I'm guessing no.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:08 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'm a gold and never buy an MCE. I've not once been unable to grab one at T minus 24 if I hadn't already gotten a lucky upgrade to F. AA is banking on some Golds to continue buying at the undiscounted price, and other non-elite customers paying outright. But what AA is really doing is trying to match Delta. If they hadn't introduced free alcohol in comfort +, I doubt AA would lead the pack and do something so innovative.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Also get a full can of soda, rather than the usual thimble full served over a mountain of ice.
Bolding mine. Literally laughing out loud at this line! Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:36 pm

I just took DFW>LGA in MCE in seat 25A on an A321. I was given 3+ mini bottles of liquor at no charge. No mention of the new policy so I cannot tell if it was because of that or just a generous FA.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:50 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by elkue
I just took DFW>LGA in MCE in seat 25A on an A321. I was given 3+ mini bottles of liquor at no charge. No mention of the new policy so I cannot tell if it was because of that or just a generous FA.
Was this on 3 separate trips through the cabin by the FA for beverage/snack service or all 3 at the same time?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I used to offer my free drink to whomever had the middle next to me since I almost always just get water or Coke zero. I guess I'll have fewer friends now.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Was this on 3 separate trips through the cabin by the FA for beverage/snack service or all 3 at the same time?
First service I asked for 3 total. He later came by and brought me 3 more. Which even for me was a lot so I just threw them in my bag.
PHL likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
This is interesting because they recently changed 25A/F to "preferred" rather than "MCE". I assumed that change was directly related to the free alcohol so that there wouldn't be confusion over the window seats getting the benefit while the middle/aisle don't.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
First service I asked for 3 total. He later came by and brought me 3 more. Which even for me was a lot so I just threw them in my bag.
In the past, I've almost always been offered free alcohol in the MC. I sort of unintentionally flirt with the FAs. I like to ask them where they like to non-rev and I usually get into long conversations and stories with them. They usually ask me if I'd like anything to drink on the house. Ironically, I'm not doing it for free drinks, but because I'm genuinely curious.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I usually always get a double of what I'm drinking when in MC/MCE......don't have to bother them again for a refill. Only once did an FA tell me: "I'll have to charge you for the 2nd drink" - to which I said: that's fine, and I'll also take advantage of complimentary snack then too (wasn't even hungry and gave it to a passenger near me in the exit row).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:26 pm

While this is awesome news and is a huge incentive for me to book in this class, is this the first step in AA removing their domestic First Class product?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.