Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Delta offers a snack basket for their Comfort+, too bad Parker can't offer that too.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
Delta offers a snack basket for their Comfort+, too bad Parker can't offer that too.
Parker does not know what a snack basket is, so how could he possibly offer it?
Old May 24, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EP
I'm curious, when this goes into effect, if an EP happens to be seated in the main cabin not in a MCE designated seat, theoretically will they only be served one complimentary alcoholic beverage whereas those in MCE will get more than one?

On smaller regional jets (RJ140 for example), there's not a whole lot of MCE to go around for everyone.

Old May 25, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
So at first glance, I was thinking that this may create some open rows as people won't be allowed to just come sit in the open MCE seats. Then it dawned on me that they will just be filled with standbys and basic economy folks. So in the end, several of these will still go to folks who did not pay for MCE. (Outside of elites who are entitled to them.)
Old May 25, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jcatman
Parker does not know what a snack basket is, so how could he possibly offer it?
American offers snack baskets on international routes and Hawaii routes IIRC. Also, isn't there a snack basket in F/J on trans-cons?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:45 am

So with this change is American going to expand what they call MCE on LUS A321s? Currently rows 6-8 are "Preferred" but not "MCE." The total number of actual MCE seats on a LUS A321 is 15, compared to 30 on a 737 or 24 on a 319. Not proportional. Makes a big difference for me because I go through PHX a lot so I'm frequently on these awful, awful planes and I'm a Plat Pro which is typically good for around number 12 of 35ish on the upgrade standby list. American copying Delta on this is a welcome change but only if it applies to a meaningful number of seats.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I notice they've now added "Beer, wine and spirits are on us" to the Main Cabin Extra info page on aa.com. They also quietly snuck this in there: "Gold members who buy Main Cabin Extra seats on or after September 5, 2018 will no longer receive a 50% discount." They will still be complimentary with 24 hours of departure.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by msr0013
I notice they've now added "Beer, wine and spirits are on us" to the Main Cabin Extra info page on aa.com. They also quietly snuck this in there: "Gold members who buy Main Cabin Extra seats on or after September 5, 2018 will no longer receive a 50% discount." They will still be complimentary with 24 hours of departure.
I'm surprised AA felt the need to reduce Gold elites' benefits.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by Check
So with this change is American going to expand what they call MCE on LUS A321s? Currently rows 6-8 are "Preferred" but not "MCE." The total number of actual MCE seats on a LUS A321 is 15, compared to 30 on a 737 or 24 on a 319. Not proportional. Makes a big difference for me because I go through PHX a lot so I'm frequently on these awful, awful planes and I'm a Plat Pro which is typically good for around number 12 of 35ish on the upgrade standby list. American copying Delta on this is a welcome change but only if it applies to a meaningful number of seats.

Be careful what you wish for. -- Project Oasis -- coming to a LUS321 near you in the next few years.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarkY123
Now, this is a net loss for me. I buy "up" to MCE at time of booking when flying AA and. One or two drinks on an evening flight home almost offsets the additional cost without the 50% discount given to Golds, but since I'm not going to have an alcohol beverage on a morning flight, will be less likely to pay the buy-up cost now.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by asf-07
Be careful what you wish for. -- Project Oasis -- coming to a LUS321 near you in the next few years.
I think that will be an improvement, assuming, of course, that they add power and adjustable headrests on the new seats.

The existing LUS A321 coach seats already have imperceptible recline, so that's a wash. Not a huge fan of most of the first class seats either, so if Oasis replaces them with F seats comparable to the 319 retrofits then that's fine by me as well.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Just received the official launch email from AA.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by econometrics
Just received the official launch email from AA.
You must have an higher eagle/helix rating than I. Still waiting for my e-mail..
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MarkY123
Because AA is offering free alcoholic beverages, after previously charging for them, I expected they would change something else to offset the loss of revenue. Ending the 50% discount for Golds is one way to do that.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
You must have an higher eagle/helix rating than I. Still waiting for my e-mail..
Okay, I lied. My WIFE got the MCE email. (She is GLD). Her account has a different email of mine on file.

It's nice to see how us EXPs are often overlooked with official communication. My wife and daughter (also GLD) get more program notifications than me, for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.