Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:59 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by kar don
On the SJC to PHX "Nerd Bird"?
I thought that was SJC-AUS
ashill and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:20 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
yep, that is the one. PHX-SJC just another sad flight on a tired airline....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kar don
I had two FAs on two different flights tell me 2/1 was the start of free drinks in MCE.
In the interest of research I tested this theory on AA1799 tonight.

Sat in exit row, ordered a cocktail, was given a single, and was charged for it. No mention of MCE benefit obviously and I did not press the issue.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dpb132

In the interest of research I tested this theory on AA1799 tonight.

Sat in exit row, ordered a cocktail, was given a single, and was charged for it. No mention of MCE benefit obviously and I did not press the issue.
Yeah on my flight on friday I asked again and was told "March 1"
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:19 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Last week (2/16) I was on a mainline flight in MCE and asked the FA about the new policy and she didn't know any details and only "heard rumblings" about it. The MCE placards to restrict luggage to those specific customers also were not in the front bins yet. She did split the difference with me and comp me 1 of my 2 drinks though. From what I read in this thread, the rollout is "Spring 2018" so February 1 seems a bit aggressive to get the crews notified and trained on the changes.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:42 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
With the LUS fleet of A321's that still have only exit row seating designated as MCE during seat selection (versus the LAA A321 fleet with the first several rows of Y designated as such), I wonder if the FA's devices will be configured to know those specific few rows will be eligible for the MCE benefits.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'll be flying CLT-YYZ tomorrow on a CRJ-900. Didn't get the upgrade and currently looks like it won't happen- flight is at J0 so if that holds, I'll be in the bulkhead row. When I booked, it was the only one aside from exit rows marked as MCE, however I noticed a few days ago that a few other rows which were previously green "preferred" seats had also changed to orange MCE. I wonder if there is indeed more legroom, or if it's just the beginning of the change to designate which rows will receive MCE and the new benefits. I've only flown in F on this bird thus far, so will be interested to see if they comp me more than one drink....
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I flew LAS to ORD last week and the MCE bins were labelled up as "Reserved for Main Cabin Extra" but that was the only sign of the policy change. The FA did specifically ask if I wanted any of my complimentary items, and both my g/f and I received a Bloody Mary and we could both have had a food item too (although we chose to share a sandwich rather than have one each). I cheekily asked if we could have more vodka, and was told that it would have to be charged for. So in spite of the policy not having changed and only me having status we did rather well.

Flying back from LAX to LAS yesterday there was no cabin service at all, due to the risk of turbulence. For once the risk must have been so great that it actually impacted the First cabin too, and not just coach. I think we spent more time sitting on the ground at LAX and taxiing at LAS than we did in the air!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
The bins were labeled on the 737 I took from DFW to IAH on Monday. FAs only offered water and OJ.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ACA321
I'll be flying CLT-YYZ tomorrow on a CRJ-900. Didn't get the upgrade and currently looks like it won't happen- flight is at J0 so if that holds, I'll be in the bulkhead row. When I booked, it was the only one aside from exit rows marked as MCE, however I noticed a few days ago that a few other rows which were previously green "preferred" seats had also changed to orange MCE. I wonder if there is indeed more legroom, or if it's just the beginning of the change to designate which rows will receive MCE and the new benefits. I've only flown in F on this bird thus far, so will be interested to see if they comp me more than one drink....
AA has like 1,000 different versions of the CRJ-900 (ok I think it is really 3 or 4), the old US air ones do not have MCE other then exit row or bulkhead, but the other versions have several rows beyond the bulkhead do. You were probably switched from a old USAir version to an AA version. For me it is often the other way around, I am booked in MCE in row 2 or 3 from the bulkhead, and end up in an old version where the seats are not MCE.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Flying tomorrow, first time since going from ExPlat down to no status

i’ll cross 25k miles in a few weeks, but spend will only be $1600

if I buy MCE/preferred seat upgrades, does this count towards the spend goal?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I flew LAS to ORD last week and the MCE bins were labelled up as "Reserved for Main Cabin Extra" but that was the only sign of the policy change. The FA did specifically ask if I wanted any of my complimentary items, and both my g/f and I received a Bloody Mary and we could both have had a food item too (although we chose to share a sandwich rather than have one each). I cheekily asked if we could have more vodka, and was told that it would have to be charged for. So in spite of the policy not having changed and only me having status we did rather well.

Flying back from LAX to LAS yesterday there was no cabin service at all, due to the risk of turbulence. For once the risk must have been so great that it actually impacted the First cabin too, and not just coach. I think we spent more time sitting on the ground at LAX and taxiing at LAS than we did in the air!
Are AA FAs enforcing the bin use in the way suggested by the sign on those bins?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:51 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 4aks
Flying tomorrow, first time since going from ExPlat down to no status

i’ll cross 25k miles in a few weeks, but spend will only be $1600

if I buy MCE/preferred seat upgrades, does this count towards the spend goal?
No. Change fees, baggage fees, etc, don't count either.
4aks likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:49 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
What about pax who are seated n MCE and can fit their SINGLE c/o under the seat in front--should they be entitled to a "discount"?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nrr
What about pax who are seated n MCE and can fit their SINGLE c/o under the seat in front--should they be entitled to a "discount"?
Or can they sublet their overhead space to another passenger?
apeortdz and ProMedEd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.