Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
does Oneworld Emerald get complimentary MCE?
Yes, even Sapphire does.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by nk15
These are the first steps to make MCE a separate class domestically, probably followed by complimentary upgrades to MCE only, down the line. There is no "free lunch", these are the seeds for the next major devaluation.
Along this line, there's not much talk anymore about the previously announced AA plan for domestic premium economy. Does anyone know, is the current news what became of that plan?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:36 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It would be nice if there was actually MCE in 100% of the fleet first (no, bulkhead and exit rows only don't count) before they "enhanced" this piece.
Yes, I was wondering how this will work in the LUS planes (that I mostly fly) where MCE is bulkhead and exit rows, but the part in the middle is regular coach.

I don't usually like the bulkhead, but I might start choosing that if I'll get free drinks out of it.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It would be nice if there was actually MCE in 100% of the fleet first (no, bulkhead and exit rows only don't count) before they "enhanced" this piece.
^^^
I take the "enhancement" as a positive sign: someone in the ivory tower perceives value in MCE, opportunity for added revenues may provide the motivation to FINALLY add TRUE MCE to LUS equipment.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Not good news.

Bigger incentive for non-elites to pay for MCE, meaning less MCE seats for elites.
Not too concerned. Kettles are generally looking for the lowest fare, unwilling to pay the premium, saving $7 on a drink is not going to tip the scale. My perception comparing AA (and AS) seatmaps at T-72 and T-12 is that Y+ is normally relatively available, filled by lower tier elites, manually for those without seats, special needs on the day of departure.

If there is a cloud in the silver lining: concerned that the lack of paying MCE customers - after throwing customers a few bones - may convince Parker to further CUT BACK on the number of available seats, not add them to LUS aircraft, reducing accessibility for elites.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I'm curious how this works with Y passengers who are automatically assigned MCE if there are no other seats left on the plane. They wouldn't have to pay extra for MCE, but would they still get the same benefits?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by izzik
This is a nice bonus for those Basic Economy folks that end up in a MCE seat (usually the middle).
Those lucky Basic fare people are now going to get free drinks?
Or, is AA going to identify who paid for MCE and only give them free drinks
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
At this point shouldn't AA rename themselves DeltAA and just get it over with?
That would be an insult to Delta.

Originally Posted by superweak
AA: here's a small service enhancement
Flyertalk: THIS IS TERRIBLE IN SO MANY WAYS

Seriously, chill out, everyone.
I think people have a right to be cynical. Many times, a true enhancement often means a cutback somewhere else (management often makes a big deal about the enhancements while keeping silent about the trade off). It's possible the MCE enhancements could be the first step towards making MCE a separate cabin, and high level elites would need to pay to sit in MCE or be upgraded into MCE. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose they could identify who is "real" MCE vs. Basic based on seating, seat swaps could complicate that. They could require a boarding pass. Or maybe they just confirm by last name. If then end up having to give free drinks to basic economy, it would seem they're underpricing BE and overpricing MCE.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by tismfu
So, when will they be designating overhead bins in F as for passengers assigned to that cabin?
This is the first thing I thought...
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I hope it doesn't also come with an increased cost. I need MCE for the legroom, not for a glass of wine.

Originally Posted by diver858
If there is a cloud in the silver lining: concerned that the lack of paying MCE customers - after throwing customers a few bones - may convince Parker to further CUT BACK on the number of available seats, not add them to LUS aircraft, reducing accessibility for elites.
That would be a major bummer - if you read the DL forum the C+ class sells out weeks in advance. Of course the elites are often complaining b/c they aren't getting upgrades but for someone who is willing to pay for it, I don't want to see it reduced.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Delta has alcohol in Comfort Plus if I recall but I don't remember the FA coming through any more than in coach. Not sure this is really any different than the current system for an EXP except they sometimes come look for me and ask me what I would like to eat and drink when I'm in the back.
When I flew Delta more before they made C+ an upgradeble cabin but after they introduced free drinks, myself and others that were in C+ used the call button to order more drinks when desired. I would expect similar behavior on AA. MCE on some of the transcons (free food and drinks) can be worth it.

Originally Posted by diver858
Not too concerned. Kettles are generally looking for the lowest fare, unwilling to pay the premium, saving $7 on a drink is not going to tip the scale. My perception comparing AA (and AS) seatmaps at T-72 and T-12 is that Y+ is normally relatively available, filled by lower tier elites, manually for those without seats, special needs on the day of departure.
As a lower level elite myself, I may be more willing to ensure I have an MCE window./aile seat given these changes.

In general, I echo the sentiment that the negative reaction to this change is overblown. Anything that makes the flying experience better for normal customers is a positive. Adding free drinks to MCE is a better experience for those customers. They should add a snack basket as well. The addition of free meals for economy transcon passengers is also welcome. We should be encouraging airlines to try to compete on offerings and service, not criticizing them when they do,
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:50 am

I wonder what the long game is to all of this.

MCE becomes the domestic PE? More $ for MCE? It can’t be because they were feeling generous many months ago and set the ball rolling. What iare these changes laying the foundation for?

I’m not saying they are bad, just that there is more to the game than these changes.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I wonder what the long game is to all of this.

MCE becomes the domestic PE? More $ for MCE? It can’t be because they were feeling generous many months ago and set the ball rolling. What iare these changes laying the foundation for?

I’m not saying they are bad, just that there is more to the game than these changes.
I think the answer is that MCE becomes the domestic PE. I mean, you have extra legroom, free drinks, and priority boarding/overhead space. What else would you add? If you make the seat wider and put the drinks in a glass tumbler you have re-invented domestic F.

Thus, I would agree with those that suggest MCE will eventually become a separate bookable class. It helps align with the international products-- since international J tickets book into domestic F on the connecting segment, it only makes sense that international PE tickets will book into MCE on domestic connecting segments. Of course it complicates things if they leave MCE on the international widebodies....
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:39 pm

Agreed.

Looking at the cabin layout of the MAX 8's coming into the fleet now, MCE is definitely the first few rows of the MC, plus the exit rows.

If over the next few years they bring that seating philosophy into the rest of the domestic fleet, I could see it moving into its own domestic class and being rebranded as PE. Which would then leave MCE to just an INTL configuration and save the confusion.

The downside to that would be those with status and how upgrades are handled, but as was mentioned before if it's something that makes the experience better overall than it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.