Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-LGA "Shuttle" announced

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:09 am
Original Poster

ORD-LGA "Shuttle" announced

15x daily flights at the bottom of the hour. Dedicated ORD gates, Free beer and wine on board. "expedited check-in" whatever that means

American Airlines launching weekday shuttle between Chicago and N.Y. - Chicago Tribune
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Like the article says, they are almost there already. Flights to LGA from ORD are on the :30 except for a 6:00 am flight, and almost all flights leave from either H5 or H6. All they really need is to create a dedicated check in area, maybe some signage at H5 and H6, and roll out the free booze.

It would be better if they could use a closer gate (K1 would be perfect), but they appear to need two gates to make it work. H5 and H6 are fairly convenient.

Anybody know if there will be a dedicated fleet, or at least a guaranteed sub-fleet (seat-back IFE guaranteed, for example)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
H5/6 are also right near the AC which is nice and helpful.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Copying Delta, obviously; they’ve had Shuttle-branded ORD-LGA Service since 2010 and to MDW for a bit before that. I’m surprised the article didn’t mention that. But AA, unlike DL, will have significant connecting traffic on the route. I’d take a DL E75 over an AA 737 for sure, all else being equal.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
H5/6 are also right near the AC which is nice and helpful.
That is a good point.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:43 am

This a "Back to the Future" situation. Up through the early to mid "80s AA, TW and UA, all offered hourly flights between ORD and LGA. I don't recall any being branded as a "shuttle", but that's effectively what they were.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA, DL and UA all have 13 or more hourly flights LGA-ORD on a weekday. It's the Shuttle branding and services that are new for AA.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Shuttles are nothing new and AA already offers so-called Shuttle for DCA-LGA and BOS. Dedicated check-in is helpful for the few people who need it, but the best benefit is close-in check in deadlines for truly last minute travel. Additionally, while ORD will not have it, rear door deplaning is useful.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I love the close booking options and ability to check-in right before to departure with the Shuttle. It's extremely helpful for last minute travel. As others have mentioned, on the shuttle, the additional benefits of complimentary beer/wine, separate check-in desks to be added in ORD, and rear-door deplaning for the absolute quickest experience possible is also valuable. I assume AA will continue service in F class as usual on the route, with meal service offered during meal times (perhaps the afternoon snacks may receive an upgrade?).
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I love the close booking options and ability to check-in right before to departure with the Shuttle. It's extremely helpful for last minute travel. As others have mentioned, on the shuttle, the additional benefits of complimentary beer/wine, separate check-in desks to be added in ORD, and rear-door deplaning for the absolute quickest experience possible is also valuable. I assume AA will continue service in F class as usual on the route, with meal service offered during meal times (perhaps the afternoon snacks may receive an upgrade?).
The question is whether those amenities really make sense for AA, since I would assume a much larger fraction of their ORD-LGA traffic is connecting than on any of the three DL shuttle routes (LGA-ORD/BOS/DCA) or on the other AA shuttle routes (LGA-DCA/BOS, BOS-DCA). AA at ORD is the only major connecting hub. And rear door deplaning helps less when many of the customers don't know what's going on and are trying to stampede to the front.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Hourly LGA-ORD Shuttle service with comp beer & wine

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news...nd-wine-011818

Not a big fan of LGA but frequent schedule &drinks is a nice perk.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news...nd-wine-011818

Not a big fan of LGA but frequent schedule &drinks is a nice perk.
Makes sense. Surprised this hasn't been a thing already.

I am no LGA fan either, but sadly, the other 2 NYC airports are lousy too.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
What's old is new again. Reminds me of United's old Business One service 25 years ago, which used the close-in B gates at ORD and had stuff like complementary newspapers, coffee, and soda fountains at the gate for all passengers to a few cities. I believe it was LGA and DCA hourly, then also BOS and PHL on a smaller schedule.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Some years ago, AA introduced the same thing (hourly-ish service with free beer/wine/snack) on LGA-DCA and LGA-BOS. Designed to compete with DL's operation out of the Marine Air Terminal and US's operations as well. (AA acquired US's slots at DCA after the merger, but I believe traded some DCA slots to B6 in exchange for more JFK slots??)
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Thumbs down Weekend LGA-BOS Shuttle Inflight Service

I was on yesterday’s NY to Boston shuttle 2122 in economy (couldn’t clear companion upgrade) and there was no inflight beverage service offered to Econ passengers. It was a low turbulence day (I know they like to use it as an excuse) and when I asked the FA for a drink, he informed me that there is no inflight service on short flights, and that the catering staff only provided juice and water. I let him know that shuttles have complimentary beer and wine (plus a comp premium drink for EXP), yet he doubled down on this. There was also no announcement indicating this apparent lack of catering or drink service. To no surprise, he was either in the back chatting or on his phone. I’ve chalked this up to laziness.

I typically fly the shuttle during the week and outside of the turbulence excuse, the FAs typically hustle to serve drinks. Has anyone else noticed a decrease in the inflight service on weekends?

Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread; I couldn’t find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.