Now I remember why I miss USAirways

Old Jan 22, 18, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Now I remember why I miss USAirways

I came over to AA with the merger. Most of my travel has been between LAA hubs. Mostly legacy AA crews. 99% of the time in F. For the most part the service has been fair to poor. No PDB, no drink refill, no extra anything. I just got used to it.

Now I have a new client and I'm flying through LUS hubs and then on to regional service. What a difference!! Always get PDB, refills proactively offered, checks with me if I need anything. My Sunday trip has BOS-CLT-MEM. On BOS-CLT the FA was unbelievable. Full PDB with refills! He never sat once during the flight. Did constant refills and got anything anybody needed. Friendly and warm. On the CLT-MEM (PSA) the FA came by and thanked me for being an EXP. Full PDB and full drink service (2 rounds) on a 1:25 minute flight.

This is what a F class experience should be. The FA's performing the service actually seem to be enjoying themselves.

I wish that culture had moved over to the LAA FA's.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Agree on the PDB... but i'd trade the lack of PDB for MCE, In flight power, IFE and no credit card hawking.
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've stopped flying AA for the most part but after the merger I quickly decided to avoid LUS at all costs. Maybe that garbage service was temporary - I don't know what US was like pre merge. Anyways, the only time to ever get excited when boarding AA these days is when they have a new hire working F. Someone who actually wants the job.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
From the thread title it was so predictable it would be PDB related!
jhartvu likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
I think pmUS was a workhorse airline... they were simple, no-frills, and perceived as cheap. pmAA, on the other hand, was a much more convoluted airline, with many levels and tiers of service. That made people's experiences with pmAA inconsistent, because pmAA shone in some areas and didn't shine in others. pmUS was simple and generally consistent... yes, the service was kind of blah, but you at least knew what you were getting into.

For me, personally, I miss pmUS more than pmAA. They ran a generally solid operation, got me where I needed to be, and crew were consistently friendly. pmAA shone in the areas of meal service in F/J and the general premium experience, but I ran into many more surly employees and had quite jarring experiences - from excellent/wonderful service to downright awful. I don't think I remember seeing such a deep variance on pmUS.

Today, the combined airline feels and seems more like pmAA, but with less focus on the premium experience, IMHO.
Old Jan 22, 18, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat; former UA Gold
I agree...

I've actually shifted a good bit of my flying back through CLT lately. I get a mix of LAA/LUS equipment (and hence inflight crews) either way now, but I've come to the conclusion that at least on shorter flights the lack of inflight power on the LUS A321's and A320's means less to me than the great service provided to me by the majority of CLT crews and ground staff. Sure, CLT can be a sardine can most of the day, the clubs don't have showers (and the B club barely has bathrooms), and I do like the 738's seatback AVOD, but it's not like AA's other hubs aren't also packed, and not enough 738's ever got seatback screens to make that worth counting on. (Yeah, I know, US's "fault.")

Before being driven away by HP Management's changes in '06-'07ish, I originally came to be a customer of US from Piedmont, and I still see that spirit in a LOT of CLT-based employees, both new and old. I can't fly [THAT] Piedmont today, but I can choose to spend a part of my day with people that make me feel like Piedmont's employees did back then.

Just my feeling...
twa777 and trooper like this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I don't think OP is too far off here, the CLT and PHX based US crews are usually very good. PHL, on the other hand... Just take the PMUS service and ops coupled with the PMAA hard product and meals, and it'd frankly be beating Delta right now

Unfortunately, we have cross fleeting of some pretty horrible LUS A321/A320 aircraft; a reversion to a mean much closer to PMUS in F/J meals; and AA no longer looking to invest in narrowbody hard product with IFE. I do love what AA has done with the flagship lounges though; and they continue to invest in a very nice longhaul widebody fleet. Now if they'd just invest a little more in domestic F food and accelerate the in-seat power in LUS planes (I'm afraid IFE is probably a lost cause at this point) as well as train the LAA employees how to do a PDB that isn't just lAAzy water or orange juice, it'd make a big difference
Austin787 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Agree on the PDB... but i'd trade the lack of PDB for MCE, In flight power, IFE and no credit card hawking.
Noob here.

What is PDB, MCE and IFE?

PDB = Pre-departure boarding?
Old Jan 22, 18, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD, IHG PLT
PDB = Pre-departure Beverage in first class
MCE = Main Cabin Extra seats
IFE = In Flight Entertainment
ToddSpam and jamesinclair like this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by mokarney View Post
Noob here.

PDB = Pre Departure Beverage. All boarding is done pre-departure

MCE=Main Cabin Extra (Y+)
IFE=In Flight Entertainment

When in doubt, FT has a great glossary where you can find most acronyms.
Old Jan 22, 18, 2:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mokarney View Post
Noob here.

Welcome to FlyerTalk mokarney!

You may want to take a look at the
FlyerTalk Glossary for information on acronyms that you aren't familiar with.

aztimm
Old Jan 22, 18, 2:33 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy View Post
I've actually shifted a good bit of my flying back through CLT lately. I get a mix of LAA/LUS equipment (and hence inflight crews) either way now, but I've come to the conclusion that at least on shorter flights the lack of inflight power on the LUS A321's and A320's means less to me than the great service provided to me by the majority of CLT crews and ground staff. Sure, CLT can be a sardine can most of the day, the clubs don't have showers (and the B club barely has bathrooms), and I do like the 738's seatback AVOD, but it's not like AA's other hubs aren't also packed
No FL at CLT or PHX. I prefer ORD, JFK, MIA, or LAX or soon DFW and PHL for the FL. Of course I also shifted to crediting flights to BA vs AA, when AA went to dollar based earning system, so I'd have FL access.
Old Jan 22, 18, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post

You may want to take a look at the FlyerTalk Glossary for information on acronyms that you aren't familiar with.
Except , of course, PDB is not an acronym , but an initialism

On the issue of comparison, surely one big consideration is that if travelling between old AA only hubs, then wouldn't have been likely to have been able to travel US Airways on those routes anyway.
Old Jan 22, 18, 2:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moderator note:

I'd like to remind everyone, yet again, about the FlyerTalk rules. Everyone agrees to these when they join Flyertalk. Here is one that is applicable:

Non-contributive posts

Posts must be contributive to the thread and/or the topic of the forum.

Posts about popcorn, night reading, "in before the lock," etc., have been deleted.

Thanks.

aztimm
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Except , of course, PDB is not an acronym , but an initialism
Regardless, PDB does show in the FT Glossary @:-)

If in doubt what something means, it makes a great resource. There is an address for submitting additions.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: