Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A trip of a life time spoilt in part

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Was at LAX last Jan more than 3 hours before flight departure (ended up more due to flight delay due to delay incoming flight). I was at the priority queue, there were 3 agents helping out and it took ages. After a long wait (tried the kiosk but didn't work out because they needed to see our passports), and finally it's our turn, we told the agent about our worries not making the connection home and she was on the phone for an hour.

Then she said an alternative is to wait until tomorrow and then go via LAS and LHR, Mr. had to go back to work and the kids had school so they said we could try to get on this plane. We ended up having to run straight to the gate - of course no lounge time

At LHR we couldn't make the connection so AA rebooked us on SK.

And this January AA cancelled our flight - after tons of decisions made every 30 minutes and we had to go home a day later and AA refused to reimburse one extra day airport parking and instead we got $1500 transportation vouchers. I flew UA a lot more than AA (so far 2 times and both times they screwed up) and this has never happened to me. I think AA just comp people when they screw up, I don't want the vouchers, I want my booked flight.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
While I agree the OP's demand of a refund is unrealistic and recount of the event maybe a little dramatic, <redacted>! The OP's request to be treated with respect and courtesy is not an unreasonable request. It sounds to me like we've all become a little too complacent with what is an acceptable level of service. Air travel is not free...we are paying customers. If I dined in a restaurant where the staff was as rude as some ground agents and FAs I've encountered (not just on AA, but other carriers as well), I wouldn't return. However, we don't have that many choices in carrier (despite what they tell us on the AC). I guess we're stuck with it....but we don't have to like it...or shame those who point out such rudeness.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 24, 2018 at 8:41 am Reason: Redacted Rules violation
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ashb001
I made mention of the lack of help and friendliness we experienced by the staff and he said they all had work to do even when they aren’t serving customers. Fact was they were all standing around and talking and laughing as already mentioned.
Disparaging those from whom you seek assistance is generally not a formula for sympathy, success.

Based on the use of "the Queen's English", much of the perceived poor service may be a cultural issue - particularly in BOS, MIA, NYC; Brits, many other Europeans (excluding the French) may act in a more professional, formal manner, but the result is still basically the same.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I wrote this at the airport after my family was separated hence the emotion. Actually I have never used this kind
of forum before. Some interesting people throwing their two cents worth in. Quite regret it actually. However fact, I was there in time prior to check in.
OK, so YES, you've received some harsh feedback, but I can see both sides. Unfortunately the bottom line is you showed up late. If the check-in cut off time is 90 minutes prior to departure that does not mean that walking into the airport at that time entitles you to get your bags on that flight. Also, unless someone was physically injured or your video recording of said incidents went viral on social media, you will likely get nothing from AA if anything a few miles or MAYBE one bag fee refund.

Here are some honest tips:

1.) Expect that any check in ques are 60 mins minimum, thus arrive 60 mins + bag cutoff time.
2.) Use the AA mobile app, that automatically informs you of any gate changes and standby updates
3.) Understand that agents have zero power and are mostly beholden to whatever the computer says
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I wrote this at the airport after my family was separated hence the emotion. Actually I have never used this kind
of forum before. Some interesting people throwing their two cents worth in. Quite regret it actually. However fact, I was there in time prior to check in.
From your own description, you got to the airport ("13th January at 10:19am"), spent some time fiddling with kiosks ("We spent a good 5-6 minutes trying to use the machine that didn’t work"), went in line, and then were told you had missed the checkin time for luggage ("He then told us the time had just passed for us to book baggage on").

It doesn't sound to me like you had allowed for much time before the deadline to check bags. So I don't think I can agree with you on "none of it being our fault" or that you deserve a complete refund. Everything else is, while perhaps not amazing customer service, fairly tangential to the problem that caused you to miss your original flight (not allowing enough time for checkin and luggage drop).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:46 pm

@ashb001

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Unfortunately, one of the truths around here is that you will have a tough time if you’re “thin-skinned.” Obviously most here are probably more experienced travelers than you and your family. You wanted to vent — that’s allowed. If you do stick around there’s lots of good info and some helpful folk too. Ignore the rude and condescending posts.

You say you were at the check-in desk BEFORE the deadline? What time was that cutoff? What time was your flight scheduled to leave? Since you haven’t provided those details it’s hard to determine if policies were followed. No doubt airline (not just AA) staff can seem/be indifferent and unhelpful. If you came here looking for info on what might have happened, you have to be more forthcoming.

Oh and do you really think a refund is justified? Not likely to happen.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has never provided the flight number or scheduled departure time of his original flight, but AA clearly published a T-45 deadline for checked bags. At large stations such as MIA, it can be really hard for a front-line agent to call and determine whether it is still possible to accept a late bag (at smaller station it is easy).

It sounds as though OP cut it too close with the car rental return and then had to hike to the people mover and then to the terminal. That is a haul, but if you are not familiar with a location, you need to consult a map and figure out that this is an airport where --- with 5 people + luggage -- you need time.
\
If OP wants to vent, he should rewrite his complaint into three clear and direct sentences. Not one word longer. Asking for a refund is foolish and not going to happen.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AAdamE
OK, so YES, you've received some harsh feedback, but I can see both sides. Unfortunately the bottom line is you showed up late. If the check-in cut off time is 90 minutes prior to departure that does not mean that walking into the airport at that time entitles you to get your bags on that flight. Also, unless someone was physically injured or your video recording of said incidents went viral on social media, you will likely get nothing from AA if anything a few miles or MAYBE one bag fee refund.

Here are some honest tips:

1.) Expect that any check in ques are 60 mins minimum, thus arrive 60 mins + bag cutoff time.
2.) Use the AA mobile app, that automatically informs you of any gate changes and standby updates
3.) Understand that agents have zero power and are mostly beholden to whatever the computer says
Except, in this case, OP stated: "Please let me make it really clear - there was absolutely no queues - None."
This would make it seem like they arrived at the ticket area either shortly before the deadline or after it.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
I am shocked and bothered by the total lack of sympathy and outright nasty responses to the OP here.

I am in agreement with many of the technical points that were made here; (s)he needs to be much more specific and detailed regarding the times and exactly what happened, the request for a full refund is unreasonable, and some of the emotional language was excessive.

But (s)he deserves some real sympathy here. We FT's fly for a living and are experts in working the system to the max. Inexperienced travelers can struggle with the incredibly confusing and complex air travel system. Customer service agents are also inconsistent, I have personally found MIA to be a less favorable location in that regard, but perhaps more significantly, CA's are much more friendly and helpful when you know the system well and are talking their language, some shut down quickly to someone who innocently doesn't get it. I recently ran into this myself. A couple of weeks ago I planned a trip for wife and her brothers to her to her father's 70th birthday party, but I did not go along. I tried building in extra time knowing that they were newbies and explained them every step to the best of my ability. I could have done the trip with my eyes closed, yet they still managed to miss their return flight. If not for my rebooking them and walking them through every step of the process over the phone, they would probably still be wandering around some airport trying to find an agent to rebook.

As I see it, there is no crime here and I am not going to tell AA how to run their business. We should recognize that travel can be confusing and difficult for those who aren't as experienced as us. AA can decide for themselves how much they might want to invest in helping out in that regard. I think we should have sympathy for those who aren't nearly as experienced as us and try to provide gentle help rather than a tongue lashing. I suspect (though I haven't checked) that the same people who are beating up the OP for what was a traumatic experience are the ones talking about changing airlines over PDBs, an issue so trivial to me that I don't understand the whole discussion.

I appreciate that the moderators stepped in to try making this more civil and all those that did respond in a civil and helpful way
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I had something similar happen recently at an airport I frequent where I needed to check a bag.

The sole priority agent was working on rebooking a group who were very confused and had missed their flight. Unfortunately, I couldn't get anyone to help and missed the bag cutoff. When I finally got to the counter, she told me I should have just ran to the machine and printed the bag tag to make the deadline. I don't check bags very often but the last time I was cutting it close, I went to the machine and printed my tag in time to make the cutoff. So, the machines work both ways.

And, of course, if its an international flight, the cutoff is one hour -- not 45 minutes.

Sorry for the stress to the OP. Navigating large unfamiliar airports for the beginner is always difficult and stressful -- particularly when its the stress of making sure the rental car gets turned in, unfamiliar traffic, getting the family to checkin, etc.

Personally, when I've been close like that, I've tried to drop off the ex-spouse to get the bags checked in while I returned the call. Not blaming you, but that is at least one option to think about from this experience.

And ... I hope that in hindsight, the airport issues didn't ruin what was otherwise the trip of a lifetime.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I had something similar happen recently at an airport I frequent where I needed to check a bag.

The sole priority agent was working on rebooking a group who were very confused and had missed their flight. Unfortunately, I couldn't get anyone to help and missed the bag cutoff. When I finally got to the counter, she told me I should have just ran to the machine and printed the bag tag to make the deadline. I don't check bags very often but the last time I was cutting it close, I went to the machine and printed my tag in time to make the cutoff. So, the machines work both ways.

And, of course, if its an international flight, the cutoff is one hour -- not 45 minutes.

Sorry for the stress to the OP. Navigating large unfamiliar airports for the beginner is always difficult and stressful -- particularly when its the stress of making sure the rental car gets turned in, unfamiliar traffic, getting the family to checkin, etc.

Personally, when I've been close like that, I've tried to drop off the ex-spouse to get the bags checked in while I returned the call. Not blaming you, but that is at least one option to think about from this experience.

And ... I hope that in hindsight, the airport issues didn't ruin what was otherwise the trip of a lifetime.
It's been almost 10 years, but when this happened to me, I got the manager involved, and the manager made an exception and walked the checked in bags to .... wherever it goes (BRU-JFK). My parents were in line and waiting 16-20 minutes before cutoff. The person manning the second lane and manager were helping the person in the first lane trying to get something straightened out with a couple's ticket. After 20 minutes they finally got it straightened out and the #2 lane person motioned my parents over and proceeded to say they were too late. At that point I asked for the manager and explained that we had been waiting for almost 20 minutes while all of them were busy with one ticket. Manager typed away and exception made. I don't know if AA personnel can do this anymore, but they should be able to do so for certain circumstances. I think he felt embarrassed that neither him nor the #2 lane person peeled off to help us.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Dfw

recently I arrived to DFW for a domestic flight 2 hours early because I had to check a bag. The Priority check in lines were close to 90 minutes. Seriously. Tons of people were missing the cut off and AA was not proctively finding those in line who were cutting it close. I pulled the CK card finally and jumped the line- because they have no Flagship. But felt bad for everyone else who had no choice but to wait for 2 or 3 agents. In priority nonetheless...not everyone is an expert flyer or has a card to pull...and one day that will be you (or me).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:11 am

OP was there in plenty of time. If he hadn't had problems with AA and/or their kiosk, things would have gone smoothly.

A couple years ago, the UA kiosks at JAX were not functioning and a whole line of people could not check their bags for I believe 3 early morning flights. The line was getting quite long. Then when they were finally back up, the UAX staffers told everyone too bad too sad; it's too late to check your bags even if it was our fault. At about 30 minutes to flight time they told me they would not check the bags and anyway, it was too late for you to get to the gate. I told them, that's not true. We have Precheck and it'll take 10 minutes to go through security & get to the gate. They refused to put our bags on the next flight; I was told they "cannot" put our bags on any flight we're not on. I called ........ & told them it was more like you "will not"; not "cannot"; you can, but you won't (for whatever reason). It's no domestic directive that bags have to fly domestically on the same flight you're on. They rebooked us & thought we'd actually agree to the two kids flying standby. Really? It took 2 hours to rebook us for 8 hours later in the day & they screwed that up. We went back home & when I was online I realized that they had screwed up the reservations so I hurried us back down to the airport figuring it'd take 2 hours to fix it again. Pretty close. That's typical of great airline customer service when the problem is their fault.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
I have traveled extensively, world wide with my son since he was 1/2 year old (now 16). One thing I have learned is to pack as light as you can, and whenever possible, DO NOT CHECK BAGS. I realize this isn't always possible, but I have found over 15 years of travel (even for weeks at a time) I can often travel with only what can fit in a backpack.

I realize this isn't the answer to THIS particular problem, but prevention of POTENTIAL problems can make travel so much easier.

Frankly, you would be surprised how FREEING it is to travel lightly.

My advise, is don't dwell on this and hold on to anger, but use it as a learning experience. Let it go.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Like sands through the hourglass so is this thread ....
C17PSGR, JAXBA and nutwpinut like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.