Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A trip of a life time spoilt in part

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Agreed that the OP is probably a drive-by here, but if not, all of the above advice is good, plus...

--It's American Airlines, not American Airways.

--I don't know of any company that needs a "complete overall" of their customer service. A complete overhaul, yes.
JAXBA and apeortdz like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Agreed that the OP is probably a drive-by here, but if not, all of the above advice is good, plus...
I wonder if the OP found this forum from a google search and thought he was actually writing to the airline?
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Did anybody read this wall of text? I stopped after it started sounding like OP was complaining about AA because OP does not know how to use a kiosk.

Was there anything substantiative further down?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

I wrote this at the airport after my family was separated hence the emotion. Actually I have never used this kind
of forum before. Some interesting people throwing their two cents worth in. Quite regret it actually. However fact, I was there in time prior to check in.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
OP thanks for reappearing. Curious as to how you found this forum. And I wish you well in your future travels.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
AA does have a problem at every airport with those stupid kiosks, they make them use them even if you don't want to, not even giving you the option to speak to an agent unless you are traveling internationally or in a premium cabin. Worst experience with this was at BDL, using the kiosk to check a bag and then waiting in a line with 6-7 other people in front of you waiting for the ONE agent, who was re-booking someone else, to give you your bag tag. These kiosks are fantastic & save time when all goes well but make the agents lazy and make me question why they are there in the first place if they don't even want to help.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I assume you eventually were transported by AA, so you would not be getting a refund.
What was the scheduled flight time? What time did you arrive at the AA kiosk? The time you dropped that car at the rental center is NOT relevant.
You still have to get from the garage to the people mover and then from there to the check in area.
That matters in this scenario. It is not clear if you showed up too late to check baggage for the flight, even if the kiosk was working properly.
After that, if the flights are full, the flights are full, and AA can't do anything more than put you on the standby list, and traveling as a party of 5 is going to be an issue in this age of flights that often leave full.

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 21, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by r415
AA wouldn't have any money if they refunded tickets every time an agent was rude!
Hell, every business in SF would go bankrupt in a week under that policy
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
As far as kiosks go, I have been forced to use them even when flying first/business. If you have never used one before, they take a little getting used to. And I have never found gate agents willing to help me with questions about problems with a check in kiosk.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:55 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ashb001
We approached the desk and they said that we need to use the machine to check in. We said can’t you help us and the person repeated that we need to use the machine to check n baggage in.
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
As far as kiosks go, I have been forced to use them ...
AA has employees who "encourage" people to use the kiosk, but they certainly cannot "force" you to use the kiosk. You can simply get into the line for a ticket agent. IME the Kiosk-Herder will just let it go, but if you feel an explanation is absolutely necessary, here are a few for starters:
  • I have a screwball situation which requires an actual agent.
  • I have a sore finger and can't use a touch screen today.
  • I prefer to stand in the line, to rest up a bit before my flight.
  • Thanks for showing me a checkin option with no queue, but I actually prefer to wait in queue.
  • (if applicable) Using any checkin station is an earned privilege of AA elite status, promised in writing
  • Using the kiosk is certainly an option. It's an option I did not happen to choose today. But thanks anyway.

I've never seen an AAgent refuse to check someone in because they should have used the kiosk. You can be sure that if such an event ever occurs, we'll hear about it on FT.

In spite of all the above, in most cases the kiosk is faster than a live agent.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Hengilas
Yes, the OPs complaint is a bit verbose and dramatic, but none of what he says is wrong- I can absolutely sympathize with it and those who don't ought to remove their head from their balloon knot.

MIA is a disaster if you're not familiar with it. And if you are, it's a total clusterf. Agents are very capable, they just don't want to. Those things are a disgrace and exist for one reason and one reason only: to cut staffing costs and increase efficiency. A little humanity shown by the AA employees would go far to keep the process moving, especially with a family with what I assume is lots of baggage.

If you arrive to return a rental car at MIA 3 hours before departure, which at more or less every other airport on planet earth is enough time - that can evaporate quickly. The traffic is legendary, the slowness agonizing, the check-in lines - even for premium pax - is out of hand some days. It's just a horrible experience from curb to gate.
OP indicated there was nobody in line and never indicated there was a wait for the kiosk.
He also did not indicate what time the flight was, nor what time he arrived at the kiosk.
He stated the arrival time at the rental car center, which doesn't help us.
I think it is possible check in at the kiosk did not work because he was past check in time, or at least the time to check bags
If he was a late arrival, then the 5 of them are going to have to wait until standby seats are available.

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 22, 2018 at 7:37 am
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
AA has employees who "encourage" people to use the kiosk, but they certainly cannot "force" you to use the kiosk. You can simply get into the line for a ticket agent. IME the Kiosk-Herder will just let it go, but if you feel an explanation is absolutely necessary, here are a few for starters:
You could also try "the screen hurts my eyes."
CloudCoder likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I have arrived cutting it close several times and missed the cutoff due to being stuck in a long line. In every case, due to being in line, the agents have managed to override the checkin cutoff and get my bags through.

Asking nicely goes a long way. (and yes, I know had they said no it was totally my fault for showing up late)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
If those agents were smarter, they'd jump to help every time the kiosk didn't work for customers. Wonder if they think they'll still be around once the flying public has gotten completely used to the technology.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by knit-in
If those agents were smarter, they'd jump to help every time the kiosk didn't work for customers. Wonder if they think they'll still be around once the flying public has gotten completely used to the technology.
What blows my mind is how clunky the kiosks are. Why does it take 1 -2 seconds between each screen and prompt?
apeortdz and samm like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.