Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Waived AA Change Fees for Amex Card members booking F80O fare via AMEX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What we know now:

Must be booked through ANEX PTS (Platinum Travel Service) or AMEX

AMEX Platinum members can contact AMEX PTS (Platinum Travel Service) and secure both cheaper fares than AA offers (when available) and fares with waived change fees for some routings, using AMEX “insider fares”, paying the $39 PTS booking fee (and $39 for ticket reissue if you change your original itinerary).

“If you book an "insider fare" on amextravel.com and pay with your points you will get free changes on AA ($39 phone fee applies per passenger)”

“If you want to pay in cash you have to call to get the insider/private fares... some agents know how to do it, others don't. You will have to pay $39 per passenger if you book this way...”

“Also, if you apply an SWU or upg with miles on one of these fares it makes it very difficult to change. It becomes an AMEX vs AA battle and can be very frustrating as AA takes "control" of the ticket when the upgrade is applied yet they still defer to AMEX for changes and AMEX defers to AA.”
Updated Experience: Obviously not every situation may work out so well but I just had an itinerary on insider fare (pay with points) which had an SWU applied. When I called AMEX, they said hands were tied. When I called AA Ex Plat desk, they said they had to call "contracts" to make any changes. The Ex Plat agent handled everything, made the change I wanted. I had to pay fare difference only (no change fee and no booking fees at all) and he applied the SWU to the new reservation. This is the 2nd time I've been able to make a change in this way, without incurring any additional booking fees (the prior one AA said they'd have to charge $50 to "takeover" the reservation but ended up waiving it because of my Ex Plat status). --cphurley
AMEX Centurion members may be able to do this as well, without paying the fee.

“AMEX Platinum Travel telephone agent today shared with me the magic code to mention to invoke the AA change-fee-waiver: F80O

said it applies to AA bookings made via both AMEX Platinum Travel telephone agents (Phoenix address on statement) and AMEXTravel.com for Plats (Chicago address on statement) bookings.”

Originally Posted by Airstat
I used this a couple of weeks ago. I called the AMEX Platinum Travel and inquired about a ticket to BGI in business it was $200 cheaper than the AA website. She told me they normally had cheaper fares than what AA was offering. She also said it was changeable I just had to pay the $39 reissue fee.
What we don’t know

If this applies to a subset of AMEX cards or if we can find these easily online. Let’s add what we learn and fill in the blanks; looks like a great payoff.

Thanks to Airstat, Colin, kar don.
Print Wikipost

Waived AA Change Fees for Amex Card members booking F80O fare via AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
don't know if this is related, but on the close-in flights I've looked at recently, AMEX Plat travel service (and also comporate concur service) are $60 less for RT than booking on AA.com. directly -- has been this way for a month now
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by donotblink
The F80Q fares appear to still be available, despite the fact that it's after December 31. The official program language has not been updated.
I noticed the change in dates on the AmEx Travel website when I was doing some searches earlier this month, and it looks like they can also be found here.

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...ower-airfares/

Originally Posted by Colin
Don't see any benefit with these F80O fares these days due to the same flexibility now being offered on all AA "I" fares. It helps crystalize a decision to cancel AMEX Biz Plat, which I was keeping purely as a way to painlessly self-service book cheap & flexible cheap business fares. Only saving ~10% is not worth the hassle factor of being forced to deal with Expedia for changes.
It's been more like only 5-6% for some of the routes that I've been checking. However, there were reports in another thread that if one does need to make a change, you can just cancel on the AA website and re-book directly through AA. I have not attempted this myself. Although if it does work, one wouldn't get the AmEx discount on the new itinerary.

From Sept 1 – Mar 31, 2021, Amex Platinum Card Members can access lower fares

Last edited by econ; Jan 19, 2021 at 12:35 am
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by 4aks
don't know if this is related, but on the close-in flights I've looked at recently, AMEX Plat travel service (and also comporate concur service) are $60 less for RT than booking on AA.com. directly -- has been this way for a month now
​​​​
They're constantly 10-15% (I think there's a specific, consistent percentage but I forget) cheaper than AA directly due to some not-very-well publicized agreement between Amex and AA, which I believe was linked earlier ITT. I'm assuming this is the reason you're seeing a fare difference anyway.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
​​​​
They're constantly 10-15% (I think there's a specific, consistent percentage but I forget) cheaper than AA directly due to some not-very-well publicized agreement between Amex and AA, which I believe was linked earlier ITT. I'm assuming this is the reason you're seeing a fare difference anyway.
I am seeing ~5% for flights at the end of the year (past the stated 5/31 end date).
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I am seeing ~5% for flights at the end of the year (past the stated 5/31 end date).
Even that is enough to justify the card for me, but the 10-15% that I've been saving so far has been a very welcome bonus. I've saved at least $900 in the past few months.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:02 am

Domestic fares are so cheap right now that I'd assume the difference would be more than eaten by the $39 fee, or is that no longer applied?

(Do you still have to call to book these btw? I have a Platinum card but I've never used this.)
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by nall
Domestic fares are so cheap right now that I'd assume the difference would be more than eaten by the $39 fee, or is that no longer applied?

(Do you still have to call to book these btw? I have a Platinum card but I've never used this.)
No fee if you book through the website.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by econ
No fee if you book through the website.
website only allows pay with points for the fares being discussed

to pay with cash, you’d have to call and pay $39/pp
Old Jan 20, 2021, 8:25 am

Is that the "Insider Fares" on Amex Travel or something else?
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:59 pm

Ok I see. I was thinking of the discounted fares that can be booked online with no additional fee (lately they've been around 5-6% off).
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PLT

I am seeing that the highlighted "Insider Fares" can only be paid for with points for my searches, but the discounted F80O cash fares are also available on the results page, even if they're not flagged as such.

My previous search that was showing with a 5% discount is now showing with a ~14% discount. Very nice.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:25 pm

My previous search that was showing with a 5% discount is now showing with a ~14% discount. Very nice.
There was also a period of time in late 2020 where the 15% off fares were bookable on the website. Good to see that they're available again.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I just talked to Platinum Travel Service, I didn't realize this earlier, but they are waiving the $39 ticketing fee for all reservations right now!
Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:51 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I just booked an F80Q fare through the Amex Travel website; this seems to be a similar program where certain flights show up as "Recommended Flights" with a star. The fare ended up being $73 through Amex instead of $145 through AA, which I consider a pretty good discount.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
I just talked to Platinum Travel Service, I didn't realize this earlier, but they are waiving the $39 ticketing fee for all reservations right now!
FYI, all $39 ticketing/transaction fees are being waived through September 2021.

Also, I had an Amex ticket that I canceled the other day and applied to a new ticket... but because AA had changed it before I canceled it, AA had taken the reservation over so I had to use the flight credit with AA rather than Amex (which is a good thing!). Interestingly, same % discount that applied to the original ticket carried over to the new ticket that I used the funds for, even though I bought the new ticket through an AA agent.
logicalrealist and VFR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.