Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Waived AA Change Fees for Amex Card members booking F80O fare via AMEX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What we know now:

Must be booked through ANEX PTS (Platinum Travel Service) or AMEX

AMEX Platinum members can contact AMEX PTS (Platinum Travel Service) and secure both cheaper fares than AA offers (when available) and fares with waived change fees for some routings, using AMEX “insider fares”, paying the $39 PTS booking fee (and $39 for ticket reissue if you change your original itinerary).

“If you book an "insider fare" on amextravel.com and pay with your points you will get free changes on AA ($39 phone fee applies per passenger)”

“If you want to pay in cash you have to call to get the insider/private fares... some agents know how to do it, others don't. You will have to pay $39 per passenger if you book this way...”

“Also, if you apply an SWU or upg with miles on one of these fares it makes it very difficult to change. It becomes an AMEX vs AA battle and can be very frustrating as AA takes "control" of the ticket when the upgrade is applied yet they still defer to AMEX for changes and AMEX defers to AA.”
Updated Experience: Obviously not every situation may work out so well but I just had an itinerary on insider fare (pay with points) which had an SWU applied. When I called AMEX, they said hands were tied. When I called AA Ex Plat desk, they said they had to call "contracts" to make any changes. The Ex Plat agent handled everything, made the change I wanted. I had to pay fare difference only (no change fee and no booking fees at all) and he applied the SWU to the new reservation. This is the 2nd time I've been able to make a change in this way, without incurring any additional booking fees (the prior one AA said they'd have to charge $50 to "takeover" the reservation but ended up waiving it because of my Ex Plat status). --cphurley
AMEX Centurion members may be able to do this as well, without paying the fee.

“AMEX Platinum Travel telephone agent today shared with me the magic code to mention to invoke the AA change-fee-waiver: F80O

said it applies to AA bookings made via both AMEX Platinum Travel telephone agents (Phoenix address on statement) and AMEXTravel.com for Plats (Chicago address on statement) bookings.”

Originally Posted by Airstat
I used this a couple of weeks ago. I called the AMEX Platinum Travel and inquired about a ticket to BGI in business it was $200 cheaper than the AA website. She told me they normally had cheaper fares than what AA was offering. She also said it was changeable I just had to pay the $39 reissue fee.
What we don’t know

If this applies to a subset of AMEX cards or if we can find these easily online. Let’s add what we learn and fill in the blanks; looks like a great payoff.

Thanks to Airstat, Colin, kar don.
Print Wikipost

Waived AA Change Fees for Amex Card members booking F80O fare via AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
From US ... I’ve the same expensive AMEX non-branded card issued in CH - similar restrictions for flights only originated from Switzerland, except Emirates, this is less restrictive. I’ve never used it though neither in US nor CH. It’s such a hassles to call etc. 99% of my flights are international, Do you guys really think it worths the call checking every time?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Booking Online Personal Platinum

Has anyone had success booking these AA fares with no change fees online, namely to save the $39 booking fee?

I called in to PTS, and they really were not sure if you could book these online paying cash instead of points.

They put my reserrvation on hold for 24 hours when I called.

Also both the J and Y fare were a little bit lower than what shows on the aa.com web site. For instance DFW to ICT was about $303 in J with PTS and about $366 on AA.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
These booked over the phone will still earn the 5X Amex Travel points when booked with Biz Platinum card yes?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
I have a personal Amex Platinum and made a booking over the phone with PTS, made of two separate tickets (AA and another OW airline) in a single PNR. They charge 2x $39 (one for each airline's ticket, for each passenger). When I wanted to change the reservation, they said the AA ticket has no change fee, but the other OW airline's change fee will apply. In addition, they will charge 2x $39 since there are two separate tickets (from two airlines) in that PNR. It still saves $44 per person ($39 x 4, for original booking and changing) compared to the AA $200 change fee.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Has anyone booked these in recent months? With no change fees for non-B tickets from AA directly, these have lost a lot of their luster, but curious how discounted premium fares are these days.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Bumping this again. Ideally it would be awesome to book the Insider Fares as cash these days but I don't think there is any way to do that.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by adambadam
Bumping this again. Ideally it would be awesome to book the Insider Fares as cash these days but I don't think there is any way to do that.
Amex is not the only travel agency around that has unique pricing arrangements with various airlines.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
you can but f80o incurs the $39 phone ticketing fee f80q is available for some fares and routes and is bookable online with cash with what appears to be a roughly 20% discount.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:01 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by donotblink
you can but f80o incurs the $39 phone ticketing fee f80q is available for some fares and routes and is bookable online with cash with what appears to be a roughly 20% discount.
Are the F80Q fares the same as the "Recommended Flight" discounts that show up on the Amex Travel website for some searches (e.g. JFK-LAX)?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by VFR
Are the F80Q fares the same as the "Recommended Flight" discounts that show up on the Amex Travel website for some searches (e.g. JFK-LAX)?
yeah
VFR likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by donotblink
How do you get around the MR redemption requirement to book these online with cash to avoid the ticketing fee? Or is it just select markets they will show up?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 4:04 pm

How do you get around the MR redemption requirement to book these online with cash to avoid the ticketing fee? Or is it just select markets they will show up?
for some markets it will show up as a preferred flight. You most have amex platinum and be signed in. I started a ft tread on it a few weeks ago.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:23 pm

The F80Q fares appear to still be available, despite the fact that it's after December 31. The official program language has not been updated.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:04 am

Don't see any benefit with these F80O fares these days due to the same flexibility now being offered on all AA "I" fares. It helps crystalize a decision to cancel AMEX Biz Plat, which I was keeping purely as a way to painlessly self-service book cheap & flexible cheap business fares. Only saving ~10% is not worth the hassle factor of being forced to deal with Expedia for changes.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Colin
It helps crystalize a decision to cancel AMEX Biz Plat, which I was keeping purely as a way to painlessly self-service book cheap & flexible cheap business fares. Only saving ~10% is not worth the hassle factor of being forced to deal with Expedia for changes.
I don't think Amex has a monopoly on private fares with respect to pricing or mandated form of payment. Perhaps with respect to self-service booking they do, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.