FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Seat Selection on BA ticket - AA operated flight - unable? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1889315-seat-selection-ba-ticket-aa-operated-flight-unable.html)

misterbean Jan 19, 2018 10:33 am

Seat Selection on BA ticket - AA operated flight - unable?

Hi all,
First time flying OW-combo itinerary.
Booked for family (2+2) TLV-LHR-DFW. It is a BA ticket but LHR-DFW is AA79 (listed as BA1520 on BA).
I know BA does not let you select seats for BA-operated flights until checkin, but for some reason I cannot even select seats for the second flight.
I am able to access AA website through the BA itinerary, and I am also able to access the reservation directly on AA using the AA PNR.
But when accessing the seat selection page, I get the error message "We’re unable to assign seats for everyone. Please check back or we’ll assign seats at the airport.".
The whole seatmap is showing "unavailable".
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...60ae1ade4b.jpg

I couldn't decide whether to post this in the BA forum or here, but given that I have a valid AA PNR and the error is showing on the AA website, I decided to post here.

This applies also for the return flights so not a specific flight issue, it seems.

Is this normal? Is it policy or just a glitch when booking through OW partners? Is it worth calling in?

wrp96 Jan 19, 2018 10:40 am

There have been multiple reports lately of issues booking seats on AA operated BA tickets. I know there was at least one yesterday alone. Sorry I don't have a link to the threads, but those other threads did offer at least some possible solutions if you can find the threads.

misterbean Jan 19, 2018 10:48 am

Well, you're right. I did find the one from yesterday buried deep in page 3. Sorry I missed it.
Seems like it didn't offer a solution. I guess I'll just wait a few days and see it resolves itself and if not I'll call in.

Thanks.

Night Flyer Jan 19, 2018 10:50 am

You have to call. If the agent you speak to doesn't want to assign seats or says they can't, HUCA.

People have been given different "explanations" for this from agents. The last agent I spoke to acknowledged it was a glitch and said she hoped it got fixed soon; she was quite familiar with the problem.

From other reports, this may not be limited to Avios bookings. It seems to be related in some way to AA's fees for seating assignments/changes made by AA agents on third-party bookings generally, as others are experiencing the problem with paid bookings made via an OTA. Hopefully the dust settles soon and the functionality returns

misterbean Jan 19, 2018 10:51 am

This is indeed a paid $ ticket booked directly with BA.

misterbean Jan 21, 2018 11:22 am

Update:
We did receive seat assignments automatically - GHJK on a 77W, that's middle-aisle, and aisle-middle across the right aisle.
Disappointing as we would have preferred the middle 4.

Unfortunately, I am unable to update the seat selection as all other seats are "Unavailable" although I hardly believe that is the case.

Tried calling the local AA number in Israel (why do they have a ticketing and CS office here?) but the agent was colossally unhelpful as he claimed since it was a BA ticket he cannot accessing it, even when I reiterated that I have an AA PNR and this is an AA-metal flight.
For some bizarre reason you cannot call the US CS number from skype, so I had to call from my phone. Annoying and expensive. Too expensive for HUCAing including the long hold times.

After fiddling with it for about 10 minutes including a hold, the agent said that updating the seats would cost $50/person! WOW. Seriously? She claimed it was some "external fee" since it's not an AA ticket and suggested trying to do it through BA's website or phone.
Of course, the BA website directs back to the AA site and the BA agents have no idea what I'm talking about.

Since we are at least seated together, more or less, I am laughing at this more than I am angry, but this is pretty ridiculous.

Does AA have a decent Twitter team?

Mwenenzi Jan 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 29313248)
There have been multiple reports lately of issues booking seats on AA operated BA tickets. I know there was at least one yesterday alone. Sorry I don't have a link to the threads, but those other threads did offer at least some possible solutions if you can find the threads.

With BA you pay for seat selection, even in business class, unless you have mid-top tier status. Closer to departure you can select for free.

13 Apr 2017 (BA Main thread)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-not-free.html

17 Jan 2018 AA forum (thread was merged into a master thread as post 189)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-platinum.html

misterbean Jan 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 29320922)
With BA you pay for seat selection, even in business class, unless you have mid-top tier status. Closer to departure you can select for free.

This thread is about AA-metal flights for which you are normally able to select your seats for free, even on BA-stock tickets.

billgrates3 Jan 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by misterbean (Post 29320788)
Update:
We did receive seat assignments automatically - GHJK on a 77W, that's middle-aisle, and aisle-middle across the right aisle.
Does AA have a decent Twitter team?

When in Europe or Africa, I'm always able to call AA's aadvantage desks using Skype, in my case either Platinum or Exec Platinum.
That's using various 800 numbers.

misterbean Jan 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3 (Post 29321523)
When in Europe or Africa, I'm always able to call AA's aadvantage desks using Skype, in my case either Platinum or Exec Platinum.
That's using various 800 numbers.

Interesting. I got an error message 'cannot call this number using Skype' both on the phone and PC. I'll try again. Thanks.