Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship First LAX-JFK-LAX A321T experience

Flagship First LAX-JFK-LAX A321T experience

Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
My burger at JFK Flagship [Bridge] took about 45 minutes as well, and it wasn't a busy time (3pm maybe?). Incomprehensible. At least I got a bun.

Last edited by SJC AA; Jan 20, 2018 at 7:19 pm Reason: Clarify that it was Bridge
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Weird....my burger at the Bridge last week took only 15 mins and it was at prime time like 7pm
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Interestingly, I was going to make a post about how my JFK/LAX F service is almost always miles ahead of the F-class service (food, people, etc.) on AA193 (LAX/HKG) regardless of which JFK/LAX flight I take. Happened again yesterday (landed in HKG this morning) -- AA35 was phenomenal (people, food, etc.) and AA193 was not great (though the Purser was excellent, the remaining staff seemed grumpy, as usual).
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by dp4m
Interestingly, I was going to make a post about how my JFK/LAX F service is almost always miles ahead of the F-class service (food, people, etc.) on AA193 (LAX/HKG) regardless of which JFK/LAX flight I take. Happened again yesterday (landed in HKG this morning) -- AA35 was phenomenal (people, food, etc.) and AA193 was not great (though the Purser was excellent, the remaining staff seemed grumpy, as usual).
Seriously? I'm flying that route on Monday night. How does "grumpy" affect the service level on that flight? I thought this would be a flight where AA would place its best foot forward.....
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Originally Posted by jcatman
Seriously? I'm flying that route on Monday night. How does "grumpy" affect the service level on that flight? I thought this would be a flight where AA would place its best foot forward.....
Well, it depends -- I've occasionally had a fantastic group, but I do the flight in J or F usually about 4 or so times a year (I tended to route more oddly before the LAX/HKG service started but now that tends to work best for me getting out and then routing back differently).

There are some objectively odd things (non-staff related) that happened this flight -- no more sundaes in F (there weren't in J to begin with), likely because of the LAX catering issues still apparently causing smaller issues. Things like the purser being also confused as to how the menus had changed (no more separate sides to choose from, it's all one dish like J meals, etc.), which I likely discovered they were catering half-J meals as the menus printed said Flagship First but then in the blurb on the back said "We hope you enjoy your Business Class experience," etc. And a total lack of wine / drink menus entirely. I rarely grab things from the galley, but the selection seemed smaller this time (may be incorrect here).

Interestingly we also lacked ALL menus from JFK/LAX but that actually seems like a common occurrence, strangely. They were able to cobble together one wine list though.

But staff-wise, it's hit or miss -- as I said in J or F I've had some great people all around, but a lot of times (possibly because it's an overnight flight leaving so late from LA -- I'm still used to it being 1:25 am or so PST) after that first meal is served, you sometimes get grumpy looks or curt responses when ringing the bell, or asking for things. And it's almost never that way on any 321T flight I take westbound. These last parts are personal opinion, of course, so YMMV. I have no idea if it's just the longer-tenured folks having seniority being grumpy (plus the 1-2 young'uns required to speak Mandarin/Cantonese), if it's just people working long hours in a pressurized tube of metal and composite, if other passengers are being 'schbags, or if it's just a wrong impression on my part -- which is entirely possible! But I can say similarly from my opinion, every person I've had work JFK/LAX in F has been uniformly excellent, even the one woman who was clearly having a day and we all made a fun go of it together.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Austin787
Years of experience have no correlation to quality of service. I've had great senior FAs and not-so-great junior FAs. In fact, the most surly FAs I've encountered were very junior.
Of course there are more senior FA's that do an outstanding job as well. But unlike your experience, I've seen more surliness from the seasoned vets. YMMV.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by smuDC-10
The “primarily here for your safety” excuse is really being exploited by some of the FA’s.
the job description has changed. No more service. No more safety. They are now "primarily here to sell you credit cards".
smuDC-10 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I’m in LA now, flying back on Wednesday in J. My standard LA routine is to get sushi lunch as a well known place then travel to the airport. Should I upgrade to F with 15,000 miles and get lunch in flagship dining instead?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I’m in LA now, flying back on Wednesday in J. My standard LA routine is to get sushi lunch as a well known place then travel to the airport. Should I upgrade to F with 15,000 miles and get lunch in flagship dining instead?
If it's technically a full J fare, then it would be worth it to try it. And/or the QF F Lounge. If it's an I, D, or R fare, then it'd be 15,000 miles and $175, in which case, eat the sushi.

Last edited by DMPHL; Jan 21, 2018 at 9:25 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DMPHL
If it's technically a full J fare, then it would be worth it to try it. And/or the QF F Lounge. If it's an I, D, or R fare, then it'd be 15,000 miles and $175, in which case, eat the sushi.
According to the AA site, full-fare business is actually considered J, D, or R. Only "I" is considered discount business.

But yes, I agree with your advice - if you've never had flagship dining, then you should certainly try it for 15k miles, assuming no copay. If it costs 15k + $175, then I'd pass.

And depending on what time you land, you can potentially enjoy flagship dining upon arrival at JFK as well...
ijgordon and DMPHL like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Finsup72
According to the AA site, full-fare business is actually considered J, D, or R. Only "I" is considered discount business.

But yes, I agree with your advice - if you've never had flagship dining, then you should certainly try it for 15k miles, assuming no copay. If it costs 15k + $175, then I'd pass.

And depending on what time you land, you can potentially enjoy flagship dining upon arrival at JFK as well...
In my book, a $175 copay to experience the Flagship First Dining at LAX before the flight and the same at JFK at the end of the flight while enjoying the privacy of F on the transcon is money well spent.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by jcatman
In my book, a $175 copay to experience the Flagship First Dining at LAX before the flight and the same at JFK at the end of the flight while enjoying the privacy of F on the transcon is money well spent.
I think if you have a favorite off airport sushi spot it'll beat lounge food almost any day of the week. I wouldn't upgrade just for the food - personally would only do it if the added privacy on the flight was valuable. Might be influenced by the fact I just finished 20 minutes of sushi slicing at Tsukiji on YouTube!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

I think if you have a favorite off airport sushi spot it'll beat lounge food almost any day of the week. I wouldn't upgrade just for the food - personally would only do it if the added privacy on the flight was valuable. Might be influenced by the fact I just finished 20 minutes of sushi slicing at Tsukiji on YouTube!
Agreed! I'm not sure I'd do it just for the Flagship First dining (though the food is good, but sushi is a light dish in my opinion and your dining options could end up being heavier and alter your in-flight experience). Having said that, the experience alone is worth having at least once, and I do personally enjoy the added privacy of F on this route vs. business. My first time at Flagship First dining at JFK, I tried to avoid the food to enjoy the in-flight options, though when I found out sundaes are no longer being served on this route, I'm glad I was encouraged to eat at Flagship First. Is it just me that's really bothered by this? It's been such a business/first tradition for so long on many carriers, it really deters me from AA that this LAX food supplier issue, which has gone on for almost three months now, hasn't been rectified...
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ
Agreed! I'm not sure I'd do it just for the Flagship First dining (though the food is good, but sushi is a light dish in my opinion and your dining options could end up being heavier and alter your in-flight experience). Having said that, the experience alone is worth having at least once, and I do personally enjoy the added privacy of F on this route vs. business. My first time at Flagship First dining at JFK, I tried to avoid the food to enjoy the in-flight options, though when I found out sundaes are no longer being served on this route, I'm glad I was encouraged to eat at Flagship First. Is it just me that's really bothered by this? It's been such a business/first tradition for so long on many carriers, it really deters me from AA that this LAX food supplier issue, which has gone on for almost three months now, hasn't been rectified...
It's been fixed by now especially for transcon routes.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP's experience sounds awful. I couldn't imagine how pissed I'd be if I paid big bucks for such a flight only to have a half conscious, grumpy flight attendant. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.