How to change a reservation online

Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

How to change a reservation online

Simple question: How do you change a paid (non-mileage) AA reservation online? I don't see an option to do that on the web page. There's only an option to "cancel flight".
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
This post was appended to an unrelated thread and has now been separated out.
/Moderator
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by joer1212
Simple question: How do you change a paid (non-mileage) AA reservation online? I don't see an option to do that on the web page. There's only an option to "cancel flight".
Typically, there are options for "Change trip", "Cancel trip" and "Change seats" at the top of the reservation.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:03 pm

If the fare does not allow changes, there won't be a 'Change' option. In that case you only have the option to cancel and then use any remaining credit for a new ticket purchase (minus any cancellation fees of course).
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by kpfleming
If the fare does not allow changes, there won't be a 'Change' option. In that case you only have the option to cancel and then use any remaining credit for a new ticket purchase (minus any cancellation fees of course).
I have quite often had the situation of a complicated ticket, or a ticket with a complicaated history, and the change button does not appear. But over the phone changes are possible.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I need to change a business trip that leaves tomorrow, but I'm not sure on the new dates, can I just hit cancel button and then use the credit later?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
Typically, there are options for "Change trip", "Cancel trip" and "Change seats" at the top of the reservation.
No, there isn't. Maybe there used to be, but AA quietly changed that.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Those options still exist. Depends on how the ticket was booked (award and cash show different options), where the ticket was booked, and whether partner airlines are involved.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by Warp
I need to change a business trip that leaves tomorrow, but I'm not sure on the new dates, can I just hit cancel button and then use the credit later?
Like everything else, depends on the fare you bought. You need to check the fare rules. Or just call AA and ask. More often than not, $200 fee is charged and you can use any difference on a future flight.

Just do this before the flight. Most tickets have zero value if you don’t cancel and don’t show for the flight.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:03 pm

I currently have several itineraries with all 3 of those options. (Though some itineraries do not have all 3. As others have noted, this can be because of partner legs. Or possibly other reasons that can make rebooking somewhat more complicated, though still possible over the phone)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.