Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When to make alternate plans for 8/2018 award w/ likely connection issues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

My mother wanted to go to Spain, so I found her a scarce business Saaver (SMF-LAX-PHL-BCN) at the end of August. The first leg is on Eagle and only has a 37 minute connection, which at LAX in the remote terminal is almost certain to be an issue.

I'm trying to decide between:
-Just moving the first leg to the night before now. LAX-PHL-BCN is on the A330 so she'd like to keep it.
-Waiting until a later date (June/July?) to move the flight given the risk of schedule changes between now and the end of August.
-Letting the chips fall where they may but having multiple back up plans ready for her (this runs the risk of downgrade the day of.)

Any sage advice?
​​​​​
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tehg
My mother wanted to go to Spain, so I found her a scarce business Saaver (SMF-LAX-PHL-BCN) at the end of August. The first leg is on Eagle and only has a 37 minute connection, which at LAX in the remote terminal is almost certain to be an issue.

-Just moving the first leg to the night before now. LAX-PHL-BCN is on the A330 so she'd like to keep it.
-Waiting until a later date (June/July?) to move the flight given the risk of schedule changes between now and the end of August.
-Letting the chips fall where they may but having multiple back up plans ready for her (this runs the risk of downgrade the day of.)

Any sage advice?
​​​​​
I would book the safe way now and adjust for later changes
It depends on the risk level you are willing to take
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Any sage advice?
​​​​​
You have a lot riding on the high risk of
  • SMF-LAX running late
  • Arriving runway 24R and taxi delays to remote stand
  • Remote gate not available upon arrival
  • Waiting in a queue for shuttle bus to T-5 (or T-5 or even TBIT if the flight to PHL should be molded there
  • Shuttle bus delayed on the apron by aircraft traffic or bus port bus queue
  • Boarding nearly over when she arrives if everything runs smoothly, possible lack of overhead space and Bag checked
I’d certainly change that flight if you can.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Along with the already mentioned saged advice, most likely you will have at least 3 schedule changes between now and trip date. This giving you ample opportunity for better routing.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
You have a lot riding on the high risk of
  • SMF-LAX running late
  • Arriving runway 24R and taxi delays to remote stand
  • Remote gate not available upon arrival
  • Waiting in a queue for shuttle bus to T-5 (or T-5 or even TBIT if the flight to PHL should be molded there
  • Shuttle bus delayed on the apron by aircraft traffic or bus port bus queue
  • Boarding nearly over when she arrives if everything runs smoothly, possible lack of overhead space and Bag checked
I’d certainly change that flight if you can.
I would too, I just flew LAX-SFO-JFK and was bused to the 53 gates from T5. Was told the shuttle was leaving in acouple of mins, Not, when we finally did leave we ended sitting at an intersection where we had to turn Left twice to get to 53 a remote gate/building or T9. We sat for close to 10 mins before all crossing planes and traffic passed and we were clear to proceed. True its easier going to T5 then from T5, but then the OPs mothers LAX-PHL might be out of T4 add alot more time to get there from the 53 shuttle gate @ T5

Id say with such a short connection time, OP you are asking for Trouble, can it work yea but Id say the odds are way against you
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Would moving the first leg a day earlier now (from Wednesday AM to Tuesday PM) mean that later rerouting due to schedule changes would be based off of the earlier day departure day (Tuesday) rather rather than the majority of flights on Wednesday?

I've never had to deal with an award ticket being negatively changed due to schedule issues, so I'm not sure how much of a hassle it would be getting alternate Wednesday flights if they eventually rebooked her on a Tuesday AM or on a Tuesday PM red-eye without lie-flats (neither of which are options).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I would not wait until July for final changes, which will likely occur T - 60 / 90 / 120 days. If it helps you / mom sleep better at night, there is little harm in changing now - other than risk not having to stay overnight in LAX if the LAX-PHL-BCN is pushed back and hour or so, LAX-PHL aircraft change between now and then.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

Any sage advice?
​​​​​
Its rare but the odd saaver seat does come open on LAX-LHR so I'd set EF alerts for that. Additionally what about LAX-MAD on IB? They fly that route seasonally and make awards available with a much lower extortion than BA. Both should enable an easy connection to BCN.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, especially first hand experiences, it should help me pitch the change. I've gotten way too lucky and therefore nonchalant about my own short connections recently and realize it's probably not a great idea to pass on that risk to someone who will later blame me for any problems.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Thanks for the info, especially first hand experiences, it should help me pitch the change. I've gotten way too lucky and therefore nonchalant about my own short connections recently and realize it's probably not a great idea to pass on that risk to someone who will later blame me for any problems.
Especially when that "someone" is mom!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.