Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is 24hr cancellation policy like 24hr hold policy (to 11:59pm end of next day)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

AA's 24 hour hold policy lets you buy the ticket by midnight the next day.

Is the 24hr cancellation policy the same? If not, are they ever slightly flexible if you want to cancel 26 or 27 hours after the time stamp of when you hit the buy button on your ticket?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by salut0
AA's 24 hour hold policy lets you buy the ticket by midnight the next day.

Is the 24hr cancellation policy the same? If not, are they ever slightly flexible if you want to cancel 26 or 27 hours after the time stamp of when you hit the buy button on your ticket?
It's 24 hours from the time you purchase.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Giving you longer to buy a ticket and generate revenue is substantially different than cancelling a ticket and taking back revenue. So I'm going to guess "no".
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by CPRich
Giving you longer to buy a ticket and generate revenue is substantially different than cancelling a ticket and taking back revenue. So I'm going to guess "no".
No need to guess; the answer is no. 24 hours from time of purchase, and must purchase two days prior to departure (relatively new change) in order to be eligible for 24hr refund.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...rvice-faqs.jsp

DL certainly remains the most generous when it comes to 24 hour cancellation policies, but at least AA still allows for holds on many tickets (which can also be cancelled within 24hrs of purchase).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hmmm...

In my experience it is until the next day at 11:59pm. A few weeks ago I canceled a ticket at 27 hours after purchase and it was refunded in its entirety to my credit card. Agent on phone confirmed the policy is until next day at 11:59pm.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
No need to guess; the answer is no. 24 hours from time of purchase, and must purchase two days prior to departure (relatively new change) in order to be eligible for 24hr refund.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...rvice-faqs.jsp

DL certainly remains the most generous when it comes to 24 hour cancellation policies, but at least AA still allows for holds on many tickets (which can also be cancelled within 24hrs of purchase).

-FlyerBeek
In what way is DL more generous?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Their published policy is midnight the day after purchase. AA's published policy (UA the same) is 24 hours after purchase. The former gives you as much as 47.99 hours to cancel.
Though I purchased a ticket on DL between 12-1am and the ticket issue date was the day before, as presumably their online ticketing dept is not in EST. I don't know what would have happened had I waited until before midnight the next day - whether the system would refund automatically or I'd need to get an override.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by mvoight
Also, in addition to what ijgordon notes, there is no 2 day advance purchase requirement in order to use the "24 hour" cancellation with DL. You can purchase a same day ticket and then cancel by midnight (even after departure time of the flight itself). Great for providing backup options during IRROPS.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.