EQM's for mileage redemptions on BA?

Old Jan 12, 18, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
EQM's for mileage redemptions on BA?

Last year I flew RT on BA to Venice, and also BA to Rome in F, both using miles. I did not pay anything except for the tax. I did it once in January, and once a few months later. I was stunned to see about 28-35k EQM's EQM listed on my account. It made me happy, but I thought it must have been a mistake. I figured that I was going to get a phone call, or an email saying this was a mistake, but I never did.

That helped me qualify as EXP by July of last year (about 15 years running). I know that rules are changing for AAdvantage, but this was early last year and to my knowledge, they hadn't changed yet, and I never heard of this one.

I didn't want to call them and ask them to take away the EQM's because I thought I'd see an adjustment, but it never happened. This stunned me, but I'm not complaining. Does one now get EQM's by certain milage redemptions? It is exactly what happened: two redemptions, one on AA: FCO-PHL-FCO-VCE and if my recollection is correct, other was something similar, but ending on FCO. I don't remember who I flew with TATL. Probably BA.

If one can do this and it wasn't a mistake both times, it will certainly change my flying patterns. Was this a mistake? I've never heard of this possibility.
Old Jan 12, 18, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat
It sometimes happens with BA redemptions. You got lucky, definitely don't call in about it. Just take the gift and don't expect it in the future. It definitely happens though, I've gotten full-J fare credit for an AA redemption on BA before too.
Old Jan 12, 18, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was there any disruption to the flights, schedule changes, flight number changes, what ever, or were they flown exactly as originally booked?
Old Jan 12, 18, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Was there any disruption to the flights, schedule changes, flight number changes, what ever, or were they flown exactly as originally booked?
One had a disruption on AA metal, and they switched me to BA. The other was routine. I still don't understand it, but I certainly held off on complaining about it. I'm thinking of trying it again this month, to see if it happens again.
Old Jan 12, 18, 11:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Perche View Post
One had a disruption on AA metal, and they switched me to BA. The other was routine. I still don't understand it, but I certainly held off on complaining about it. I'm thinking of trying it again this month, to see if it happens again.
If it works again, be sure to buy some lottery tickets.
Old Jan 13, 18, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche View Post
One had a disruption on AA metal, and they switched me to BA.
They probably moved you to a BA EQM earning fare bucket/class. This has happened before.
Old Jan 13, 18, 2:13 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, AMEX DL Reserve, IHG Spire, IC Amb
I flew BA metal LHR-LAX a couple years ago in F on an AA award ticket and still got credited as if I had paid for F.

I was dumbfounded but it stayed in my account.
Old Jan 13, 18, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
They probably moved you to a BA EQM earning fare bucket/class. This has happened before.
I don't think iti is that - this is an anomoly that I have seen numerous times on bookings that have never had any changes made to them. Not something to jump up and down about and wave flags around though methinkjs

It happens sometimes on BA - almost like compensation for having carrier surcharges