Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 compensation master thread is here.
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2018, master thread)

Welcome to the "2018 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:36 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Date: 07 October 2018
AAdvantage Status: 1MM
Fare class: S > G
What happened: A couple of months ago, I made a reservation from SFO > JFK and called into Meeting Services a few days after to apply a BXP1 upgrade. I was told that there was availability, but only if I pay the fare difference to G. I paid the fare difference, and expected the upgrade to apply, but was then told I would be waitlisted despite the fact that not a single seat was sold in J. I prolly should've HUACA, but I had better things to do with my day, so I didn't. Flash forward to the night before the flight. Still no word on my upgrade, and I couldn't use OLCI. I assumed it was because of the upgrade instrument and that I would get the upgrade applied at the check-in counter (despite the fact that it is electronic-only now). I presented myself to the check-in about two hours before my flight. They printed out my BP and claimed I was 3 on the UG list (I was actually dead last, 15). Flight was full. No way of getting into MCE (because OLCI wasn't available to me 24 hours before). Long story short, missed out on an upgrade that should've happened months ago and had a very uncomfortable flight home.
Compensation: A refund of the BXP1 certificate and the fare difference.
Comments: I've largely avoided AA this year because I get much better treatment aboard AS. I recognise by avoiding AA that it will take me much longer to get to 2MM, but I've gotta prioritise comfort and convenience over AA's malarkey and shenanigans. It's also worth noting that I could've spent $100 less booking the same flight on AS now that Basic Economy applies to every flight regardless of fare bucket; however, I chose AA with 2MM in mind. Stupid on me.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
  • Date: 10/15
  • AAdvantage Status: Plat
  • Fare class: Government Fare
  • What happened: Delayed in DFW for 3 hours. Missed my connection in LAX enroute to HNL. Ended up flying LAX-KOA-HNL the next morning. 12 hours late.
  • Compensation: Meal voucher for wife and I. Put up at the LAX Westin for the night. 10k award miles for both my wife and I.
  • Comments: Not really blown away by what they gave but at least it was something.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Paid $75 to change to flight that was delayed: refund or other compensation?

I paid $75 to have a confirmed same-day change to an earlier flight (from DFW on October 16). There were all sorts of delays to the flight that I changed to, and then other flights were delayed, but some weren't. (It wasn't weather at DFW, although there could have been weather issues elsewhere.)

Result? The flight that I changed to ended up being hours late...arriving AFTER the flight that I was originally on. I moved to another flight, to a middle seat, and it was about 75 minutes late, arriving only about 90 minutes before the flight that I was originally on.

Can I get the $75 back, or some type of compensation?

Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I paid $75 to have a confirmed same-day change to an earlier flight (from DFW on October 16). There were all sorts of delays to the flight that I changed to, and then other flights were delayed, but some weren't. (It wasn't weather at DFW, although there could have been weather issues elsewhere.)

Result? The flight that I changed to ended up being hours late...arriving AFTER the flight that I was originally on. I moved to another flight, to a middle seat, and it was about 75 minutes late, arriving only about 90 minutes before the flight that I was originally on.

Can I get the $75 back, or some type of compensation?

Thanks.
Maybe you can write in for compensation regarding the flight you actually flew, but I wouldn't expect $75 back - your voluntary change isn't AA's problem in my opinion.
ibrandsguest and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Gold
Date 10/17/18
AAdvantage Status Gold
Fare class Economy (O)
What happened Scheduled same day JAN-CLT-DEN-DFW-JAN to complete remaining EQD/EQM requirements to maintain gold through 2020. AA145 (DEN-DFW) delayed due to "late inbound arrival" per GA. This led to me missing AA5980 (DFW-JAN) 425p departure. Rebooked on AA5974 (DFW-JAN) 9p departure, which was then cancelled due to "crew issues"' per GA. GA not helpful and only offered rebooking on DFW-JAN flight the following AM. The CS agent at the DFW customer relations counter was helpful and I was again rebooked on AA2072 (DFW-ATL) and DL2890 (ATL-JAN), which would have allowed me to arrive home around 11p. AA2072 was then delayed, leading me to miss DL2890. Ultimately rebooked on DL693 and finally arrived home around 15 hours after my initial scheduled time of arrival.

I approached DL about a hotel, and initially the CS agent refused to provide due to my ticketing via AA (I understand this logic), but then the agent conceded. They were unwilling to provide vouchers for meals, toiletries, etc. Submitted email to customer relations with response listed below.

Compensation None

Hello …..:
Thank you for contacting us. Your time is valuable. We understand that. And we know, too, that few things are as frustrating as a delayed or cancelled flight. We'd like to say sorry for delivering anything less than a wonderful experience traveling with American.

While I know you didn't have the best experience with us recently, I do hope you'll give us another try. We look forward to having you onboard an American Airlines flight in the future.Sincerely,

..….
Customer Relations
American Airlines

Comments After reading this thread it seems compensation varies widely and by no means am I entitled to any. I would have thought, however, that something would be offered, possibly covering my meals and toiletries at a minimum. Is this far fetched? At this point I assume there is nothing to do but drop and move forward, correct? I do have a CSR card so will file a travel delay claim to cover my out of pocket expenses.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Gold
I had an interesting contrast to my experience above on AA5974 on 10/29/18. Scheduled 2100 departure. Rolling delays due to maintenance issue. Ultimately changed to new aircraft and departed around 3.5 hours after initial time of departure. Upon arrival had proactive email and 5k mile credit. Non status wife got 3k mile credit.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Plt 2MM
Yet another compensation question

I was on AA125 (DFW-HKG) last Wed, Oct 31. Over the course of 24 hours, we had the following occur:

- Returned to DFW 1 hour after takeoff due to mechanical (ventilation)
- Delay for new equipment/crew
- Returned to gate after taxi due to mechanical (valve)
- Crew timed out; delayed overnight (hotel provided)
- Delayed due to mechanical (birdstrike previous day); crew timed out
- Flight cancelled due to lack of new crew

I was re-routed through NRT on AA61, losing my upgrade on my original flight, arrived at my final destination (BKK) 24 hours late, bag arrived 48 hours after that. (I did get upgraded NRT-BKK, FWIW.)

Customer Relations emailed and gave me 15000 miles on Thursday; 10000 more were added to my account on Friday without comment. Still seems like a low amount of compensation.

Questions:

1. Any opinions on a reasonable amount of compensation for this?
2. I would personally be happy with the compensation simply being for them to actually clear my SWU for my return (currently waitlisted), particularly given that the return is on my birthday. Would you ask for that?
3. How much (or how little) info would you include in the request for compensation. Is the above list of events too much?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I'd suggest taking a look at the master thread on this topic; there you should be able to find answers to all of your questions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

Just my two cents -- the intermediate steps in your delay are irrelevant; the outcomes you should focus on are reaching your destination one day late, and luggage arriving two days later. Citing specific costs incurred (Missed hotel nights or other reservations? Buying clothes and toiletries?) as a result of the delay will help make a stronger case, though reimbursement for these types of expenses is generally sought through travel insurance. And I've never once heard of AA clearing someone's SWU out of turn as a form of compensation.
resnick likes this.

Last edited by Science Goy; Nov 4, 2018 at 9:57 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:01 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Science Goy
I'd suggest taking a look at the master thread on this topic; there you should be able to find answers to all of your questions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html
And now merged with the consolidated thread referenced above. /Moderator
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by resnick
I was re-routed through NRT on AA61, losing my upgrade on my original flight, arrived at my final destination (BKK) 24 hours late, bag arrived 48 hours after that. (I did get upgraded NRT-BKK, FWIW.)
You should have been allowed to keep your upgrade on your flight to NRT unless J was full. AA will protect your upgrade on SWU or miles+copay for IRROPS.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plt 2MM
Originally Posted by Finsup72
You should have been allowed to keep your upgrade on your flight to NRT unless J was full. AA will protect your upgrade on SWU or miles+copay for IRROPS.
Yeah, they had already run the upgrade list by the time any of us had gotten over to the gate because nobody called over to the gate and warned them that the cancellation was about to happen; it was quite the mess. I got lots of apologies for that. The GAs on the NRT flight deserved battle pay.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Date: 10/28
AAdvantage Status: None
Fare class: T - 7,500 mile ticket
What happened: DTW/DCA rolling delays totaling four hours. Flight eventually went out.
Compensation: 10,000 miles each (notably more than we paid for the ticket)
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:55 am

Does AA proactively issue compensation for lengthy mechanical delays?

Searched but didn't see an existing thread.

I flew PHX-KOA yesterday. Had a mechanical delay (pressurization) that required return to gate, offloading of everyone with their carryons, and ultimately a 2.5 hour delay. They did have sandwiches, wraps, drinks etc. at the gate while we waited to reboard Does AA issue compensation for this type of event? Do they do so proactively or is it better to contact customer service? What is standard/reasonable compensation under the circumstances?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by myleguy
Searched but didn't see an existing thread.

I flew PHX-KOA yesterday. Had a mechanical delay (pressurization) that required return to gate, offloading of everyone with their carryons, and ultimately a 2.5 hour delay. They did have sandwiches, wraps, drinks etc. at the gate while we waited to reboard Does AA issue compensation for this type of event? Do they do so proactively or is it better to contact customer service? What is standard/reasonable compensation under the circumstances?
Short answer no. In 16 years flying AA I’ve gotten compensation just once and I’m sure it’s because another pax went bonkers on AA.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
no - but I’ve had great results using getservice.com - received comp for about 6 flights in the past year from American. there is a thread about the service somewhere ......

https://www.getservice.com
Zacnlinc likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 25, 2018 at 9:54 am Reason: Removed referral link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.