Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 compensation master thread is here.
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2018, master thread)

Welcome to the "2018 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What is it you want by way of compensation?

If it is a customer service gesture you are looking for, why not ask for that.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by fmastr
no - but I’ve had great results using getservice.com - received comp for about 6 flights in the past year from American. there is a thread about the service somewhere ......

https://www.getservice.com
I 2nd fmastr's comment as I too have received compensation from this service 5 times out of this year myself as well. I've only once received compensation from AA once without asking for it (but ultimately they offered it to be about a week later. My situation was that we landed at BWI after circling PHL for about an hour. We waited there for the storm to clear for almost two hours before they offloaded us and by then it was 1 AM whereas we were supposed to have landed at PHL at 5 PM. Ultimately the flight didn't depart BWI until 5 PM the next day!! By then I had already made my way to PHL and hten to NYC as planned. Turns out I was double compensated as Getservice got me compensation for this flight as well.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 25, 2018 at 9:55 am
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've had 30 years of AA flying, many years as Plat (but never EXP), including J RTW and CirPac fares. There have been many mechanical delays. Never - never - has AA issued compensation without me asking for it.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have gotten it a couple times, both were longer delays than 2.5 hours.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
Flew the same PHX-KOA flight on 11/11. Delayed about 9 hours while waiting on a replacement plane. Received an unsolicited email the next day with 8,000 miles for the inconvenience. As a side note, those junker planes need to be retired.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:09 am

I second that on getting rid of those 757s. I had a bad feeling when I booked the flights.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:50 pm

Wife and I had a 6:30 pm flight on Nov 13, LAX-LHR in J (award ticket). We were in row 7 and had boarding passes printed out the day before (both printouts showed row 7).

On the morning of the 13th, I received a call from AA asking if we would switch to a later flight (it was 7:45, only 75 minutes later). They offered us $600 each. I said let me check with my wife, and I will call them back. When I went home to discuss options with wife, we logged in to see which seats might be available on the later flight, and (long story short) I noticed that on the original flight, we were now seated in row 4. This was an obvious equipment change, and Row 4 was right behind the galley. This is a major no-no for me on overnight flights.

So we decided to take the bump. I called back AA, and I began by asking about the equipment change and my seats changing without any notice. She put me on hold for a long time, maybe 15 full minutes. Came back to say the equipment changed months ago and I was informed. I said no. Number 1, the equipment must have changed this morning, because I have boarding passes in my hand that show row 7. Number 2, months ago the only change i received was that they moved departure back an hour.

Anyway, I told her we want to accept the bump that was offered, and she said we now have to do that at LAX, not over the phone. Okay fine.

Got to LAX, and I spoke to an agent inside the flagship club. She said she could switch me to the later flight, but she saw nothing in our record about the $600 (each!) compensation. She suggested I take the bump, and bring it up with AA after my trip. So we took the bump without compensation (yet) and now we're back. I realize this is now gonna be a longshot, but do you think AA kept records of the original offer they called to make?

The first agent I spoke to made the offer, The second one knew about the offer but couldn't do it over the phone, The third one had no record at all. Any tips on how to best approach this? Thank you.

Last edited by cheaptom; Nov 27, 2018 at 10:58 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I've had 30 years of AA flying, many years as Plat (but never EXP), including J RTW and CirPac fares. There have been many mechanical delays. Never - never - has AA issued compensation without me asking for it.
I want to say at least once but no more than that in the old days (2006) I got unprompted compensation for a mechanical delay but I certainly haven't heard of such things happening these days.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:00 am

Ticket not issued | Denied check-in - Compensation?

Hi all,

I had a ticket on a flight from RDU via CLT to FLL, booked with American Airlines. This flight was canceled due to inclement weather at RDU and I was rebooked via the AA phone hotline to a Delta flight on the next day, leaving RDU at 6:30am and connecting through ATL with an estimated time of arrival at 10:44am in FLL.

When I reached the airport at RDU at 5:15am, more than an hour before departure, I could not use the machine to check-in for the Delta flight because the ticket had originally been issued by AA, so I had to go to the Special Services counter. When I reached the front of the line at approx. 5:40am, I was advised by Delta that the ticket had not been issued by AA, and that I would need to have the ticket reissued by AA before Delta could accept me on the flight.

I directly went to the AA ticket counter but was not attended until 5:58am. The lady at the counter advised me that I she would need to issue the ticket, and that I should have come to her in the first place.

Since I had to check a bag and Delta check-in and baggage acceptance time at RDU is 30 minutes prior departure, I was denied check-in for my booked flight. I was subsequently rebooked to fly from RDU via PHL to FLL on AA, arriving in FLL at 1:44 pm, that is, a delay of 3 hours.

I had never been advised during the rebooking process on the phone that I would need to go to the AA counter at RDU to issue the rebooking. I addition, I was able to see the Delta flight when looking up my booking on the AA app with my name and reference number. Hence, I could reasonably assume that I would have a confirmed ticket for the Delta flight.

AA admits the fact that the telephone agent made a booking error but claims this does not trigger IDB compensation. Instead, I was offered a voucher of $100, which is clearly less than what I expect. Customer service stands firm that this is all they can do.

Do I have any right to compensation, or is this bad luck and I am stuck with the delay and the little compensation they offered?

Thanks for your advice, Lars
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
According to USA DOT regulations, it can only be an IDB if the flight is oversold. There's no reason to believe that this flight didn't depart with your seat empty. Hence no IDB compensation. IIRC the DOT rules also require that the passenger be ticketed and checked in before the deadline, present at the gate before the deadline, etc.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Sorry for the inconvenience --- particularly when you got there early enough to deal with it.

I'm not blaming you but when AA interlines me, I usually stay on the line until I can see it as ticketed on the UA or DL app.

And personally, considering this was a weather delay and they attempted to interline you, I'd consider $100 to be fair compensation.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:16 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The agent likely booked the seats on Delta but didn't finalize ticketing. Their mistake effectively delayed you 3 hours past your scheduled arrival on DL. I think $100 voucher is not a terrible offering for a 3 hour delay.
Spanish likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation. Thus, anything AA does is a voluntary customer service gesture. OP is free to ask for more, but AA these days has pretty set amounts based on a series of factors. $100 for this seems to be a typical mid-range.

As a caution to others and having nothing to do with AA, always make sure that you have an e-ticket number (not PNR) for the new carrier, DL in this case. That is the only way of knowing that your ticket was pushed to the other carrier. If this happens while you are physically at the airport, have an agent print a paper ticket or FIM for you. While that is a throwback to 25 years ago and you are SOL if you lose that paper ticket, there is then nothing to louse up.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:26 am

Good to know, thanks for the feedback. I guess as a European I am used to EU261 and therefore have different expectations as to what an airline should provide and pay. Thanks for explaining the US situation then!

Lars
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ballin44
Good to know, thanks for the feedback. I guess as a European I am used to EU261 and therefore have different expectations as to what an airline should provide and pay. Thanks for explaining the US situation then!

Lars
In the EU, a ticket not being issued is valid grounds for the airline not to take youand so the carrier wouldn't be liable for EC261 compensation payment

The original cancellation also looks like something which would not provide for compensation - although of course the airline would be responsible for providing meals , accommodation and incidentals
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.