Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 compensation master thread is here.
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2018, master thread)

Welcome to the "2018 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My recent DFW-SCL flight was delayed 12 hours due to a computer problem plus crew timing out. AA offered hotel vouchers. Switching from an overnight to a day flight resulting in our group missing essentially an entire day of the trip. Also, on the flight, the FAs said they couldn't change the order of how the food was catered and so they served dinner at 9am and then breakfast approximately 8 hours later. Is this worthy of compensation?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by FrogProf
My recent DFW-SCL flight was delayed 12 hours due to a computer problem plus crew timing out. AA offered hotel vouchers. Switching from an overnight to a day flight resulting in our group missing essentially an entire day of the trip. Also, on the flight, the FAs said they couldn't change the order of how the food was catered and so they served dinner at 9am and then breakfast approximately 8 hours later. Is this worthy of compensation?
Absolutely, send a complaint to Customer Relations via the form at aa.com.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Discoverist
What's a 9.5hr delay worth? (AA, non-weather related) (to merge compensation)

My wife and I were on AA282 from MIA to LAX on Jun 24 and were scheduled to depart at 12:10p. We finally departed 9.5 hours late (9:39pm) and I've been trying to get appropriate compensation from AA for the last few weeks. They've been sticklers, unwilling to offer more than a paltry voucher. After several back-and-forth emails with the CS rep, I've asked for the matter to be escalated but she claims the policy is to not do so. The delays were 100% AA's fault and there were zero weather-related issues. I'm AA EXP and have been for the last 5 years and expect them to do better.

Here's the chronology:
12:10 original departure time, delayed due to unknown reasons
1:30p boarded, then mechanical issues with 2nd engine just after pushback
2:00p returned to gate, deplaned
5:45p new departure time, waited at gate for new crew
7:30p began boarding and learned from FA that catering (including lobster rolls) from the original plane was moved over after sitting out for hours so she (probably wisely so), requested new catering
8:15p as a result, pilots went illegal
9:00p new pilots boarded, did their checks
9:39p finally departed.

What say you, esteemed FT community? What is this worth? To whom should I escalate to (as the CS rep claims that they don't do this)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
How much was the voucher?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:43 am

At first $200, then an additional $150 (pp)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
The voucher may be as much of a "fair deal" as you're going to get. What specifically are you looking for in terms of compensation?

For a 15 hour delay and a similar set of events (a few years ago), I got 15,000 miles as a non-status member in Y.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by sailor279
At first $200, then an additional $150 (pp)
What was the fare?
"What's it worth?" is going to vary depending on who you ask. The real question is what is it worth to you
Contractually, AA owes you nothing. Realistically, I would think $350 by voucher (Would would also the tax rate when used) is probably more than 1/2 of economy paid for that one segment.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Search the big compensation thread for 'mechanical'. You will find plenty of stories with compensation amounts.

My thinking is fairly in line with that of mvoight: $300/person.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:58 am

@mvoight - by the terms of the contract, you are correct. 9.5 hours of time + the fact that it wrecked my (and worse, my wife's) start to the work week is worth far more than they offered. The point of my post is to get the FT community input on how far I should take this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
@mvoight - by the terms of the contract, you are correct. 9.5 hours of time + the fact that it wrecked my (and worse, my wife's) start to the work week is worth far more than they offered. The point of my post is to get the FT community input on how far I should take this.
Think $350 is more than fair and not worth any more efforts.
sm82 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA's customer service gestures (there is no compensation here) are based on rough length of flight, class of service, and fare paid. You are an EXP, traveling, I presume in F (not aware of serving lobster in Y). Sounds like the $200 didn't take into account your EXP, but AA recovered from that. Doubt you will do better than you've got now. Because you are not owed anything, I don't know that you have leverage.

Over that long a delay, AA ought to have distributed at least 2 meal vouchers as well. If AA did not, you could submit your receipts for reimbursement once you have your "gesture".

Finally, check your travel insurance. Many policies have flat payouts based on time.
sailor279 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Take the money and run. I'd rather have the delay ruin the start to my work week as opposed to the start of my vacation.
sailor279, fmastr, reeg2 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:27 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1)If I showed up for my flight 9 hours late, would AA be forgiving and not penalize me?
(2)What if this 9 hour delay soured me on flying AA again--so a voucher and/or miles would be worthless.
(3)Based on capacity issues, I doubt AA could (or should) permit a plane load of pax into the AC (for free)--spending 9 hours in most airports is "cruel and unusual punishment".
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
(1)If I showed up for my flight 9 hours late, would AA be forgiving and not penalize me?
(2)What if this 9 hour delay soured me on flying AA again--so a voucher and/or miles would be worthless.
(3)Based on capacity issues, I doubt AA could (or should) permit a plane load of pax into the AC (for free)--spending 9 hours in most airports is "cruel and unusual punishment".
Well, if it soured you on flying AA again, then why should they give you a voucher for more?
On the penalizes you for being 9 hours late, that is a separate issue.
I am no clear on what you are trying to accomplish. What 9 1/2 hours is worth to us, may or may not be what AA is willing to pay us for a late departure. I think expecting more than a $350 voucher is a bit reaching.
They aren't going to refund everyone's tickets simply because the flight was late.
What, exactly, do you expect from them?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:55 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
Well, if it soured you on flying AA again, then why should they give you a voucher for more?
On the penalizes you for being 9 hours late, that is a separate issue.
I am no clear on what you are trying to accomplish. What 9 1/2 hours is worth to us, may or may not be what AA is willing to pay us for a late departure. I think expecting more than a $350 voucher is a bit reaching.
They aren't going to refund everyone's tickets simply because the flight was late.
What, exactly, do you expect from them?
The "system" is all one sided: CC governs everything--but this is written by the airline to favor the airline.
There was a time when Congress was looking into imposing restrictions on air travel (some of which might have given pax some benefits), but the "poor" (nearly all bankrupt airlines) had their way, CC would make things right for everyone:rolleyes; today things are different, but pax have NO recourse since the airlines still hide behind CC.
If a pax could get to their destination earlier on another airline or just not fly that day, getting a CASH refund should be an option, though in the case of flying on another airline the price (for a same day booking) wouldn't be covered by the refund.
A few minutes late vs several HOURS late is very different

Last edited by nrr; Jul 10, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.