Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 compensation master thread is here.
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2018, master thread)

Welcome to the "2018 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 8:07 am

To continue my post above, I asked for verification of the delay and got an email saying that the delay was weather related.

I do not believe this to be the entire truth. Weather caused the airport to be closed for about 1 hr 15 min, but the delay prior to that was not due to weather, but due to the prior airplane being delayed (which may or may not have been due to weather, but I don’t think it was) and then the delay after the airport reopened was clearly due to a staffing issue (no flight attendant).

How should I best approach this?
Old May 31, 2018, 11:49 am

Date: May 25,2018
Fare Class: Business First
What Happened:
  1. Hours of Rolling 30-45 minute mechanical delays, then partial boarding and ultimate cancellation at around 1AM.
  2. Gate attendant lying to me about availability of Business Class seats without even checking. Re-booked via Platinum Support Phone number on next available flight.
  3. Gate attendant refusing to issue hotel voucher and/or re-book me on the next available flight, arriving 12+ hours after original flight.
  4. My out of pocket expenses for incidentals, meal, lodging, and transportation exceed the $200 they are offering. Just the $153.28 and the $20 cab rides each way was $193.
Was offered the following even after initial reply:
  • I'd be happy to offer the compensation methods offered in my previous correspondence. I can either send a check for reimbursement of your hotel under the contracted rate of $120.00 –OR– issue a $200.00 eVoucher for each of you for future travel on American Airlines –OR– issue 10,000 bonus miles
This offer doesn't cover anything, any suggestions?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Plat
Canceled flight compensation strategy

Hello FlyerTalk experts!

I've been lurking the site for years, but only now registered to ask a question.

My sister-in-law had an experience with AA that ended up costing her about $1.2k, and we wanted to know if there's anything we can do to recover the costs. She has no status with AA other than participating in their FF program.

June 4 incoming flight into South America couldn't land due to weather delays, so the subsequent flight was canceled. AA offered to rebook her onto another flight, but not until June 9. That wasn't feasible because of work, etc. It was presented as a sort of "take it or leave it" so she had to leave it and purchase an outbound ticket on another airline in order to get home to the US.

AA has been rather unhelpful in their replies to her queries about getting refunded or compensated for the situation. They just stick with their policy of "weather's beyond our control, no refund." But a 5 day delay when other airlines are able to make it in/out of the airport seems unconscionable.

Any suggestions for how to move forward?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
She should be refunded partially for the unused AA segments (maybe something like 50% of whatever the r/t ticket cost was), that's about it. Anything else would be a goodwill gesture.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BThumme
She should be refunded partially for the unused AA segments (maybe something like 50% of whatever the r/t ticket cost was), that's about it. Anything else would be a goodwill gesture.
That's fair guidance. She might be awarded some AA miles - a voucher seems less likely. Paying for a $1,200 ticket on another carrier? Forget it.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
.... Paying for a $1,200 ticket on another carrier? Forget it.
That's what travel insurance is for
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
It sounds to me like the OP's relative never made it out.

I've generally been able to get refunds for a ticket I couldn't use, even when the cause is weather. They also obviously should permit her to use the return portion of the ticket, if there was one, even though normally future segments are cancelled if you miss one.

They won't reimburse you for the cost of a ticket on another airline, but I think they should refund the ticket you couldn't use. Certainly taking someone 5 days later isn't a reasonable alternative. I've been successful at times getting refunds for cancelled flights even if I could have been reaccommodated just a few hours later. (They won't do that if your flight is merely delayed, but sometimes they will if it's entirely cancelled.)

When you buy a ticket, they don't guarantee they will get you from A to B precisely by the schedule arrival time, nor compensation for expenses of the delay in many situations. But you still bought a ticket for transportation,and if they can't provide the transportation they have to give you your money back.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Appropriate compensation for inoperable biz seat on 9 hour flight?

Flew BCN to ORD the other day and my seat would not recline at all or go into flat bed mode. FA tried to manually do it but even that didn’t work. I had to sit upright for 9 hours, no other biz seats open. Best they could do on board was award me 10k miles.

What do you think fair compensation should be?

I’ve emailed AA to complain, I used miles for the flight so I kindly requested a re-deposit of the miles paid for the flight.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
How many miles did you pay for the flight?

Also, on the bright side, it is BCN-ORD vs ORD-BCN. The return is by far the preferable option to have an inop seat
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The difference between the cost for J and the cost for Y (in miles) seems fair, but I believe 10k is the standard compensation. A full refund isn't reasonable, as they still got you there. So at best the inconvenience is worth the delta between Y and J.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:40 pm

Compensation?

Today I'm flying PHL-LAS. I was scheduled on the A330 to LAX in F. However the plane crapped out (MX, something about a computer not working). They announced that they were going to get another plane but it seemed unlikely (to me at least) that they would find an A330 AND have it get to LAX in time to make my connection. (Original arrival 6:33 and departure at 9:15; flight cancelled around 4:15.) So I grabbed what looked like the last F seat on a 6:10PM nonstop.

So I paid for an F ticket and I'm going to fly in F, but on a much much worse plane, no Envoy suite, no power. It also appears (I'm writing this before I arrive) that my bag won't get there with me. There were two hours between when the original flight cancelled and the one I actually took left, and if they were going to bring in a new plane, they would have to offload the bags anyway. But as I write this, the last bag status I see is that it was loaded on the original plane. The GA told me the bag would go to LAX and then they'd put it on the first flight to Vegas in the morning and deliver it to the hotel. So at best my bag will trail me by 15 hours.

I assume I won't have trouble getting original routing credit, but is there anything else that seems appropriate? I wouldn't have paid the extra $350-400 just to upgrade on the A321 I'll be on. I'm not asking for two round-trip tickets in F to anywhere in the world and an evening of free lapdances in Vegas, but does anyone think I should get something, and if so what should I ask for? Redeemable miles aren't that useful to me, but if that's all I'm likely to get I'd take it. Maybe I'm not due anything, it's not like they sold the seat as "business" and I got downgraded to "First."

Followup: They gave me 5000 miles. I didn't think that was really enough, but it's not a big deal. They did give me original routing credit. I got an Op-Up upgrade on the way back, so it was rough justice.

Last edited by redtop43; Jun 19, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
How many miles did you pay for the flight?

Also, on the bright side, it is BCN-ORD vs ORD-BCN. The return is by far the preferable option to have an inop seat
Yes, so glad this didn’t happen on the eastbound!!

I paid saver amount, so like 62k miles?

I feel I’m owed at least 25k miles refund. 10k just seems way too low.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL DM
Originally Posted by redtop43
Today I'm flying PHL-LAS. I was scheduled on the A330 to LAX in F. However the plane crapped out (MX, something about a computer not working). They announced that they were going to get another plane but it seemed unlikely (to me at least) that they would find an A330 AND have it get to LAX in time to make my connection. (Original arrival 6:33 and departure at 9:15; flight cancelled around 4:15.) So I grabbed what looked like the last F seat on a 6:10PM nonstop.

So I paid for an F ticket and I'm going to fly in F, but on a much much worse plane, no Envoy suite, no power. I assume I won't have trouble getting original routing credit, but is there anything else that seems appropriate? I wouldn't have paid the extra $350-400 just to upgrade on the A321 I'll be on. I'm not asking for two round-trip tickets in F to anywhere in the world and an evening of free lapdances in Vegas, but does anyone think I should get something, and if so what should I ask for? Redeemable miles aren't that useful to me, but if that's all I'm likely to get I'd take it. Maybe I'm not due anything, it's not like they sold the seat as "business" and I got downgraded to "First."
Similar situation redtop43. Mrs. polderbaan was also supposed to on the PHL to LAX flight, with a connection onto ANC all in paid F. Only way to get her there "earlier" tomorrow morning was via SEA with a downgrade to Y on both legs. So instead of an a330 flatbed to LAX and domestic F to ANC, she is down the back all the way. Any thoughts on what redtop43 and I should ask for compensation?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by polderbaan1836
Similar situation redtop43. Mrs. polderbaan was also supposed to on the PHL to LAX flight, with a connection onto ANC all in paid F. Only way to get her there "earlier" tomorrow morning was via SEA with a downgrade to Y on both legs. So instead of an a330 flatbed to LAX and domestic F to ANC, she is down the back all the way. Any thoughts on what redtop43 and I should ask for compensation?
At a minimum you should get the difference between the F and the Y fare. Remember this is mechanical, not weather. Of course "The Y fare" is a somewhat amorphous concept.

I'm thinking of asking for 5 upgrade stickers, in effect an upgrade to F on a future flight. I know it's very unlikely I'd be able to use them on the A330; I assume a lot of people like me book paid/award F. But maybe to use them sometime I'm not on that bird. I don't know if that's a huge ask or a small one.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:37 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Date: May 28
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: Economy (seated in MCE)
What happened: IFE kept resetting. At-seat power ports non functional. If affected my seat only.
Compensation: 15K miles
Comments: I actually sent in a "suggestion" that they put a Report Card at each seat, for folks to report hardware problems. Otherwise, the airline will never know until the next major maintenance stop. Customer service did not comment on my suggestion, but awarded 15K miles for the inop IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.