Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Confirmed upgrade on same day standby -- IT error?

Old Jan 11, 18, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-List, HHonors Silver, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, Chase Sapphire Reserve

I have Gold status. I have a confirmed domestic flight tomorrow night and used AA.com an hour ago to select same day standby (not same day confirmed flight change) for an earlier flight that is currently wide open. I was not charged, and everything looked OK (flight I selected was showing as standby, with the original flight also viewable). An hour later, I got an e-mail from AA: "Your upgrade is confirmed" for the standby flight. Assuming this is an IT error as one cannot be confirmed for an upgrade on a standby flight, I go back to AA.com to check the reservation. Now it shows me confirmed on both flights, with the earlier flight shown as "departure" and the later flight shown as "return" as if it was a round trip, but both legs have the same origin and destination. I have a seat in J on the earlier flight (can open seat map and select any seat in J) and a seat in Y on the later flight.

My question is: should I do anything? I obviously want to take the earlier flight, and I want an upgrade. It seems that I have both and so I should leave well enough alone. But I'm worried that this is an IT glitch and it could screw up my ticket somehow (duplicate reservation?).
Old Jan 11, 18, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HILTON PLAT
I have no advice (sorry!), but would be interested to hear how it worked out.
Old Jan 11, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AC; Avis PP, Hyatt Plat
My only thought is (pure speculation here), with the earlier flight being wide open, the system automatically cleared you from the standby list because UG inventory opened up in the GLD window.

It goes against the published policy, but I wouldn't be surprised if you benefited from a system error which rarely manifests itself due to the rarity of UG inventory being available for non-EXP pax inside T-24, but before T-4.

I usually have the opposite problem with flight changes, whether standby or IRROPS reaccom, where my upgrade requests are not carried over to the new reservation. Perhaps the automated system does a better job of retaining those.
Old Jan 11, 18, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-List, HHonors Silver, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by captaink View Post
My only thought is (pure speculation here), with the earlier flight being wide open, the system automatically cleared you from the standby list because UG inventory opened up in the GLD window.

It goes against the published policy, but I wouldn't be surprised if you benefited from a system error which rarely manifests itself due to the rarity of UG inventory being available for non-EXP pax inside T-24, but before T-4.

I usually have the opposite problem with flight changes, whether standby or IRROPS reaccom, where my upgrade requests are not carried over to the new reservation. Perhaps the automated system does a better job of retaining those.
This scenario is quite logical (and given the wide open availability, there's no harm being done to AA), although I doubt this is how the system is supposed to work, since I have never been able to get an upgrade in concert with same day standby before. Usually because they clear upgrades before standbys there simply isn't any space available, but in at least one case I cleared standby and there were still available seats but the agent told me he was unable to add me to the upg list after clearing standby (and I did not press the issue since I was happy to clear standby and get home earlier).

I was able to check in and get a BP so it does seem as though the earlier flight really is confirmed.
Old Jan 11, 18, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AC; Avis PP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
This scenario is quite logical (and given the wide open availability, there's no harm being done to AA), although I doubt this is how the system is supposed to work, since I have never been able to get an upgrade in concert with same day standby before. Usually because they clear upgrades before standbys there simply isn't any space available, but in at least one case I cleared standby and there were still available seats but the agent told me he was unable to add me to the upg list after clearing standby (and I did not press the issue since I was happy to clear standby and get home earlier).

I was able to check in and get a BP so it does seem as though the earlier flight really is confirmed.
Yeah, all my experiences with standby have been agent-assisted, and typically once you've cleared, the GA's are too busy to bother with adding/upgrading you. If there are F seats available after clearing all other UG requests, Elite standbys should be next to clear, but in practice it's more likely they will go to DH crew or non-revs.
Old Jan 11, 18, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Now my upgrade is confirmed on both flights! Part of me wants to know whether I could actually take both flights and get 2x the EQS/EQM for the price of a single flight. Unfortunately that would require buying a one way back to my origin in between the two flights.
Old Jan 11, 18, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
Reminds me of years ago when one could call the automated upgrade request phone number and jump the priority at 4 hours before departure but before the list rolled to airport control at 3 hours before departure. God that was a great IT defect that I used often.
Anyine else remember that?