Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA iSolve F/A Onboard Miles Compensation as of Feb 2018 (restricted 8 Jun 2020)

Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ISolve is an app solution available to Flight Attendants on their tablets to grant AAdvantage miles to passengers as on the spot compensation for service deficiencies. The intent is to provide limited compensation to individuals, not incidents that affect all or numbers of passengers, such as cabin temperature issues, delays, etc. Broken seats, non-working IFE, front cabin meal issues, etc. will be compensable on the spot. (Power issues will generally not.)

Effective Monday 8 June 2020 American Airlines has taken away the tool airports, flight attendants, and reservations used to compensate customers when a crew member spills a drink on them, their seat is broken, or their inflight meal didn’t get loaded onto the aircraft.” This will continue throughout 2020. link to Gary Leff article.

Link to “American Airlines Flight Attendants Will Start Offering Onboard Compensation This Month” by Gary Leff, The Boarding Area, 11 Jan 2018

Link to “American Airlines Tells Flight Attendants Not to Hand Out Too Much Compensation” by Gary Leff on July 17, 2018

Print Wikipost

AA iSolve F/A Onboard Miles Compensation as of Feb 2018 (restricted 8 Jun 2020)

Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
What struck me wasn't so much that she didn't know it, but she was telling me that a gate agent could do it. If she wasn't nice and well meaning, I would have gotten quite annoyed at that time wasting suggestion.

It turns out that the second item only posted at 2,000 miles. Seems odd that a broken seat is 2k, IFE is 4k, but maybe I wasn't watching close enough, or maybe there's an automatic 50% reduction in the compensation for the second time per flight!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
What happens when all we are left with domestically is watching IFE via the inop WiFi? Hmmmmmm
Old May 4, 2018, 7:49 am

Does anyone have any idea how long this takes to post?
I was on an LAX-NRT which about 3 days ago. The flight has posted but not the miles for the broke IFE.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by chuck1
Does anyone have any idea how long this takes to post?
I was on an LAX-NRT which about 3 days ago. The flight has posted but not the miles for the broke IFE.
Mine took about two weeks to post.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:42 am

I saw posts about IFE being worth 4k points. Last month on NRT-DFW in J my wife's IFE stopped working about three hours out from DFW. The flight attendant did everything he could to try to resolve it and then had issues with the tablet he gave her. Without asking he gave her 10k miles and they posted in about three days.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:30 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

So I was reading through this thread... I think this initiative is a net positive and empowers front line employees to make things right on the spot. However, there is some serious issues with level of compensation - a broken seat shouldn’t be compensated less than broken IFE. I have a suggestion for AA if they do read this - at least we know Doug Parker to a certain extent reads VFTW
Instill some kind of “standardized” compensation for variety of issues. Lets say there is a broken IFE, the FA should be able to pull up the tablet and select the broken IFE. Within the broken IFE selection there should a compensation level - AA already has infrastructure in place that identifies what customers are in what seats as evidenced by the tablet’s capability of identifying customers of different elite level.

General Member upgraded - 2,000
Gold member/OW Ruby upgraded - 3,000
Platinum member/OW Sapphire upgraded - 4,000
Platinum Pro member upgraded - 5,000
Executive Platinum member/OW Emerald upgraded - 7,000
General Member revenue - 5,000
Gold Member/OW Ruby revenue - 7,000
Platinum Member/OW Sapphire revenue - 8,000
Platinum Pro member revenue - 10,000
Executive Platinum/OW Emerald revenue - 15,000

This is just a wild idea but something hardwired in the system where the FA can click on type of issue and the type of customer that will provide equitable compensation for nature of the issue. This will help ensure the comp is in line based on type of issue while recognizing the value of a certain business and help AA to ensure customer expectations don’t become lopsided (i.e. I get 10K for broken IFE but only 2K for a business class seat that won’t go lie flat).

Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Extra Miles from the Cabin Crew ?

I had the misfortune to fly Business on one of AA’s aging 767s on the PHL - MAN route and for those unfamiliar with that glorified Sopwith Camel the FA’s have to manually plug iPads into the place where the IFE normally lives. Mine didn’t work and the FA said “oh I’ll give you some air miles for that” and sure enough a thousand miles appeared in my account 2 days later.

I confess I didn’t know the crew could give you miles for such hiccups. Thumbs up.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
something like this happens,
they file ( i think electronically) a report that IFE was not working in seat number X
report goes to the powers that be - and then miles show up.
Kudos to the FA for actually doing this!

any insider with an exact understanding of the Standard Operating Procedure for this - please advise

2019 AA Domestic Upgrades: 15 out of 32

2019 cities: ATH, CLT, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, MSP, ORD, STL, YWG, YYZ
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bump for inquiry in newbie lounge thread. /Moderator
backprop likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Flying a few months ago on an evening flight the FAs couldn't get the lights off in the F cabin. They apologized ahead of time. At the end of the flight the FA told everyone that she had deposited 10,000 miles in everyone's account for the issue. Ultimately only 1,000 miles showed up (at least in my account, PP) and I didn't think much of it. Maybe she mistakenly said 10,000 miles instead of 1,000 miles. Possibly did someone in HQ knock the compensation down from 10,000 to 1,000 miles? 10,000 miles for the lights being on seemed very generous to me.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

American Airlines No Longer Lets Employees Offer Compensation For Broken Seats, Missing Meals
by Gary Leff on June 8, 2020 — link
Effective Monday American Airlines has taken away the tool airports, flight attendants, and reservations used to compensate customers when a crew member spills a drink on them, their seat is broken, or their inflight meal didn’t get loaded onto the aircraft.

To save money, instead of compensating customers when things go wrong, employees are supposed to show they care and acknowledge what the customer is saying… just not do anything about it...Now American has discontinued the ability for flight attendants to offer compensation when the airline fails to deliver its product as promised. This suspension of iSolve will run at least through the end of 2020.

An internal memo reviewed by View From The Wing flagged this suspension effective Monday,
Effective 08JUN20, iSolve will be suspended through 2020 for goodwill compensation through airports, reservations and flight attendants. A closer look is being taken at every aspect of our operation, including tools and technology. As part of this review the decision was made to suspend iSolve. The tool will still be used to provide compensation for pre-removal and downgrades by Support functions.

Current iSolve instructions to cabin crew

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 8, 2020 at 9:39 pm
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JDiver
American Airlines No Longer Lets Employees Offer Compensation For Broken Seats, Missing Meals
by Gary Leff on June 8, 2020 — link
Effective Monday American Airlines has taken away the tool airports, flight attendants, and reservations used to compensate customers when a crew member spills a drink on them, their seat is broken, or their inflight meal didn’t get loaded onto the aircraft.

To save money, instead of compensating customers when things go wrong, employees are supposed to show they care and acknowledge what the customer is saying… just not do anything about it...Now American has discontinued the ability for flight attendants to offer compensation when the airline fails to deliver its product as promised. This suspension of iSolve will run at least through the end of 2020.

An internal memo reviewed by View From The Wing flagged this suspension effective Monday,

Current iSolve instructions to cabin crew
so back to submitting complaints via CS
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Between Oasis and this, I’m sensing a new theme in AA’s onboard experience. #SucksToBeYou
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
So.. If I am reading this correctly if you are on a longhaul flight and your seat malfunctions and will not lie flat that you will not be getting any sort of compensation at all? Seems very stingy. The FA's are supposed to talk you out of being upset about it?? SMH..
Old Jun 9, 2020, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
So.. If I am reading this correctly if you are on a longhaul flight and your seat malfunctions and will not lie flat that you will not be getting any sort of compensation at all? Seems very stingy. The FA's are supposed to talk you out of being upset about it?? SMH..
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
so back to submitting complaints via CS
All you’ll get onboard is the renown 🙄 empathy, sympathy and concern, at least for the rest of this year.

The reason appears to be FAs were, in the eyes of the new, RM driven AA (since AAdvantage will be under Vasu Raja and Revenue Management) entirely too generous, doling out ~400% of what they’d predicted. It never occurred to management to read that as a call to improve maintenance and condition of the blankety-blank airplanes.

Even so during American’s poor operations last summer they were handing out compensation at four times the usual rate.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 9, 2020 at 8:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.