Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to use 30,000 Aadvantage miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Best way to use 30,000 Aadvantage miles

ive got 30k aadvantage miles as compensation for poor service. I don’t really have an obvious use for them as I’m not flying to the states any time soon. I have a trip to regensburg and Czesky krumlov coming up and one to Iceland but that’s it for now. I need to book car hire and hotels for both. Can anyone advise how I might use these miles?

is there an option to use them for short haul within Europe? Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You can use them for oneworld and partner flights, hotels, etc. <link>
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cramatdel
ive got 30k aadvantage miles as compensation for poor service.
Out of curiosity, what was the service issue? I don't think I've ever heard someone receive 30k miles from customer relations for "poor service". It seems they're only generous (rarely) when it comes to overnight delays or diversions due to maintenance, crew time out, etc.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:03 pm

ive got 30k aadvantage miles as compensation for poor service. I don’t really have an obvious use for them as I’m not flying to the states any time soon. I have a trip to regensburg and Czesky krumlov coming up and one to Iceland but that’s it for now. I need to book car hire and hotels for both. Can anyone advise how I might use these miles?

is there an option to use them for short haul within Europe? Thanks.
Where are you based?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You can use AA miles intra-Europe. Look at the networks of BA, Finnair, and Iberia.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petey2428
Where are you based?
Based in Manchester.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finsup72
Out of curiosity, what was the service issue? I don't think I've ever heard someone receive 30k miles from customer relations for "poor service". It seems they're only generous (rarely) when it comes to overnight delays or diversions due to maintenance, crew time out, etc.
I complained as we had a terrible flight to Vegas via Chicago, which had to refuel unexpectedly, meaning our connection was cancelled and we were surrounded by really drunk and obnoxious passengers with my 5 month old son, who AA continued to serve booze too.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I complained as we had a terrible flight to Vegas via Chicago, which had to refuel unexpectedly, meaning our connection was cancelled and we were surrounded by really drunk and obnoxious passengers with my 5 month old son, who AA continued to serve booze too.
Was it 30K for each of you? Or 15K?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Was it 30K for each of you? Or 15K?
10k each (there were three of us)
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
I really can't adequately express how wrong it was for AA to serve alcoholic beverages to a 5 month old.
Thunderroad, 869 and Casswiki like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
10k each (there were three of us)
So, was 30K put into one account or 10K in each.
That is important to the question of what to do with 30K miles, as if you transfer between accounts there is a fee.,
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
You can use them for oneworld and partner flights, hotels, etc. <link>
Is there a way to book parnter airlines' hotels - i.e. BA has a much better selection of hotels than AA?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Is there a way to book parnter airlines' hotels - i.e. BA has a much better selection of hotels than AA?
No - to use AA miles you'd have to book through AA's hotel booking portal (www.useaamiles.com). Unfortunately your options with 10k miles/person are somewhat limited ...
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by dickinson
I really can't adequately express how wrong it was for AA to serve alcoholic beverages to a 5 month old.
Indeed, less for the rest of us.
dickinson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.