Wiki Posts
Search

AA Business Class ( domestic flight)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
AA Business Class ( domestic flight)?

I just booked an award flight for two of us from JFK to SEA ( flight 1021, on a 737), using AS miles. Although the flight was listed in the First Class column, the confirmation show Class U ( Business).

The award cost much less in miles (25K each) than First on AS metal (60K each). It seems worth it to get paired seating ( rather than a row of 3), dinner ( flight departs 5:30 pm) and free beverages.

What is the difference between this and First on trans-con flights? Will we still be able to visit the lounge at JFK before departure?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
JFK-SEA is not a 3 class flight; the only, regularly scheduled/advertised domestic transcons on 3 class aircraft are the new A321 (32Bs https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...s_A321_new.php) (you may be able to luck into a international bird on a positioning flight to a follow-on international flight, e.g. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/aa-...estic-oct-dec/). Even if you are on an internationally configured multi-class plane (e.g. actual international Business or F) and you are not in Coach, the service (outside of the flagship JFK-SFO/LAX routes https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ontinental.jsp) are usual domestic F.

So, it's domestic F on a domestic aircraft. There are various reasons why it might be classified as business (either rev/yield management, or the flight number continues ex-SEA internationally), but it's domestic F service. Nothing fancy (I've flown this route before in F).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by enzian
I just booked an award flight for two of us from JFK to SEA ( flight 1021, on a 737), using AS miles. Although the flight was listed in the First Class column, the confirmation show Class U ( Business).

The award cost much less in miles (25K each) than First on AS metal (60K each). It seems worth it to get paired seating ( rather than a row of 3), dinner ( flight departs 5:30 pm) and free beverages.

What is the difference between this and First on trans-con flights? Will we still be able to visit the lounge at JFK before departure?
AA's normal 2-class domestic first class now technically books into the business class fare buckets (J, U, etc.). JFK-SEA will largely be like any other domestic first class trip.

JFK-LAX/SFO are the only routes with true 3-class first class, with lie-flat seats, a greatly enhanced food and drink offering, lounge access, etc.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Ent PLT
On top of what the other two said, you will not have lounge access in JFK unless you have a Admirals Club membership or you purchase day passes.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA's normal 2-class domestic first class now technically books into the business class fare buckets (J, U, etc.). JFK-SEA will largely be like any other domestic first class trip.

JFK-LAX/SFO are the only routes with true 3-class first class, with lie-flat seats, a greatly enhanced food and drink offering, lounge access, etc.
So lounge access on AA domestic flights only comes with First on a 3-class flight?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
So lounge access on AA domestic flights only comes with First on a 3-class flight?
First and business between JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO. Otherwise, no access domestically.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
First and business between JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO. Otherwise, no access domestically.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp
Actually, to be technically correct, otherwise no access on a domestic-only itinerary. On an international itinerary, a business (or first) class ticket (or having sufficient AA status) gives you lounge access domestically on a day when you're flying internationally (on the same itinerary).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

By would they distinguish between trans-on JFK to LAX or SFO, and trans-con JFK to SEA (or any other destination on a direct flight to the west coast? Do the LAX and SFO flights continuenon to Asia?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
By would they distinguish between trans-on JFK to LAX or SFO, and trans-con JFK to SEA (or any other destination on a direct flight to the west coast? Do the LAX and SFO flights continuenon to Asia?
JFK-LAX/SFO is special. It is a high yield premium route and has thus been granted extra privilege. it has a special type of aircraft (321T) which has F in a 1-1 lie flat pod config, J with lie flats in a 2-2 config and Y. As for why? Because AA feels they can command a premium on this route. For example.. LAX-JFK-DCA is usually a lot more than LAX-PHL-DCA for example. High yield traffic on the former means you get treated better.

All other transcons are just longer domestic flights.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I see. We certainly do not need or want a lie-flat bed, but lounge access would have been nice.

We will survive nevertheless!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:22 pm

What status do you have with BA? If it's silver or above you get access to AA's flagship lounge at JFK via your BA status rather than through class of travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.