Is first class worth it from SFO to MIA?

Old Apr 8, 21, 12:28 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Posts: 1,563
Originally Posted by econ View Post
Iíd still rather connect in LAX to get the 772/77W. Unfortunately, with only 3x daily SFO-LAX, it makes for some poorly timed connections, especially going westbound.

Poorly timed connection is exactly the reason why this time I'm opting, for the first time in a while, to take the SFO-MIA nonstop. The January wait times in MIA (6+ hrs) after returning from GIG then in LAX (4+ hrs.)to take the flight up to SFO, I'm kinda "over the west coast 777's at the present time. My travel companions that were heading to PHL and JFK were home physically before I even left MIA!
Zacnlinc is offline  
Old Apr 8, 21, 12:55 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 140
I'm doing this flight for the first time next week in F. Thoughts and prayers plz. I was able to get it for $200 and use a business extraa upgrade to F so felt like a great deal to me.

Looking forward to trying the new meal service though: https://onemileatatime.com/american-...lass-catering/
rotnkornkid is offline  
Old Apr 8, 21, 1:03 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Posts: 1,563
Originally Posted by rotnkornkid View Post
I'm doing this flight for the first time next week in F. Thoughts and prayers plz. I was able to get it for $200 and use a business extra upgrade to F so felt like a great deal to me.

Looking forward to trying the new meal service though: https://onemileatatime.com/american-...lass-catering/
Are you on the 8 AM flight out of SFO? The other two flights, I think, will not offer any food service. But that just maybe the general announcement despite FC being offered "food".
Zacnlinc is offline  
Old Apr 8, 21, 2:03 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 140
I'm on the 7:40PM flight from MIA to SFO. Sorry, that wasn't clear before!
Zacnlinc likes this.
rotnkornkid is offline  
Old Apr 12, 21, 10:31 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Posts: 1,563
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
Yep was number one on the upgrade list yesterday on a LAX/MIA 772 flight. Despite the flight being delayed by nearly 2 hours there was not one no show/cancellation for J. I think the upfare was around $400 but with a PE seat it was hard for me to justify $400 for a couple of drinks, a one tray meal and a flatbed for 5 hours. One thing I've noticed is that the leisure flyers booking F/upfaring from Y show up come hell or high water.

You are so spot on with your observations regarding the lack of availability from perhaps F/upfaring from Y peeps. On the four legs I've booked into F for an upcoming trip almost two weeks ago, there's been little to no change with the availability of changing seats. In fact, more seats are being removed well before upgrading windows open for elites.

I cannot wait to see the upgrade list for my SFO-MIA-SFO flights as at the moment, it's "sold out" and the outbound leg starts this coming Sunday.
Zacnlinc is offline  
Old Apr 13, 21, 12:47 pm
  #51  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,460
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post
You are so spot on with your observations regarding the lack of availability from perhaps F/upfaring from Y peeps. On the four legs I've booked into F for an upcoming trip almost two weeks ago, there's been little to no change with the availability of changing seats. In fact, more seats are being removed well before upgrading windows open for elites.

I cannot wait to see the upgrade list for my SFO-MIA-SFO flights as at the moment, it's "sold out" and the outbound leg starts this coming Sunday.
There were 17 people on the upgrade list on MIA LAX 772 flight last week and no one cleared at the gate (agents made an announcement about it)
Zacnlinc and cmd320 like this.
fly747first is offline  
Old Apr 13, 21, 2:49 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 829
My wife and I are taking the SFO-MIA red eye. Y seats were 7,500 miles and J was 75,000 (not a typo). Booked a Y XTRASEAT between us. Problem solved.
HofstraJet is offline  
Old Apr 14, 21, 8:04 am
  #53  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,460
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
My wife and I are taking the SFO-MIA red eye. Y seats were 7,500 miles and J was 75,000 (not a typo). Booked a Y XTRASEAT between us. Problem solved.
SFO doesn't even get any love in F the way LAX does
cmd320 likes this.
fly747first is offline  
Old Apr 14, 21, 9:01 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
SFO doesn't even get any love in F the way LAX does
Nope. Not at all. Though maybe one day if Miami continues and succeeds in becoming the tech hub itís trying to become and the route becomes more popular.
HofstraJet is offline  
Old Apr 14, 21, 9:27 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MIA
Programs: AA Dirt BA Gold SPG GLD HH GLD
Posts: 911
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Nope. Not at all. Though maybe one day if Miami continues and succeeds in becoming the tech hub itís trying to become and the route becomes more popular.
Good joke!
saltytheseagull is offline  
Old Apr 14, 21, 10:43 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 1,728
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
SFO doesn't even get any love in F the way LAX does
They used to run 1x 763 on this route up until a few years ago when they got rid of them. Would be nice to see occasional widebody service return on this route someday.
econ is offline  
Old Apr 14, 21, 10:55 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Posts: 1,563
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
SFO doesn't even get any love in F the way LAX does

Once SF and LA bury the hatchet and show each other some Love, then others will join in with lots of Kum Ba Yah moments!! LOL

But seriously, some SF F AA service love is needed beyond the JFK we've come to expect as well as the seasonal widebody service from PHL we'd get in the fall of each year.
cmd320 likes this.
Zacnlinc is offline  
Old Apr 20, 21, 12:37 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Posts: 1,563
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
There were 17 people on the upgrade list on MIA LAX 772 flight last week and no one cleared at the gate (agents made an announcement about it)
I did SFO-MIA (A321) then MIA-SJU (772) yesterday and it was hella full!

Left SFO with cabin being listed as sold out for past two weeks but two people were walked up front before doors closed. Seat were occupied at T4 when I left for airport. WL had 0 people requesting upgrade.

Landed at MIA and glanced at WL and it had 15 people on it for two open seats! At boarding those two cleared.

These leisure travel peeps are seriously always showing up in force! lol
Zacnlinc is offline  
Old Apr 20, 21, 7:46 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: CLT
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
It's relative. The $400 upfare is way cheaper now than what AA used to price in the past, sometimes LAX MIA was well over $1,000 one-way even on A321.
Those are Charlotte prices to SFO, SEA, LAX
BarrenLucidity is offline  
Old Apr 20, 21, 8:37 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,578
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Nope. Not at all. Though maybe one day if Miami continues and succeeds in becoming the tech hub itís trying to become and the route becomes more popular.
Hurricane season will reverse that haha.
olouie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: