Is first class worth it from SFO to MIA?

Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Your experience with domestic first class on other carriers is more or less exactly what you'll get with AA. On the 321 & 738 you'll have a larger seat, slightly more legroom, free booze, and a meal that can vary from mediocre to inedible. Whether that's worth the cost is up to you .
A321Bs are guaranteed to have IFE at each seat and also have much more comfortable seats than 738s; some of the oldest 738s are in terrible shape.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Turns out I misread the price. F is $250 more than Y. At that price I think the extra comfort alone is worth it, especially on the flight home. So I'm going with it. Thanks again.
Score8, zpaul and Gino Troian like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:53 pm

Its truly a no brainer @250. I hate 737 transcons in Y.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
When traveling on domestic transcon for business, I will pay $150 - $200 more for F when there is lunch or dinner meal service. In addition to free food and beverage and more comfortable seat, even discounted F fares earn more miles.
For leisure transcon travel, I will only sit up front on transcon redeyes - even on a 737 or A32X, try to always book saaver first awards - even if it means an extra stop.
This is one of the primary reasons AS has become my first choice for domestic travel; status is relatively easy, GGUs are easy to "earn" and burn, possible to use GGUs with credit card companion pass.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
If I was going to pay for First Class I would try to find flights through LAX or DFW that would give you an international plane for part of the flight.

In June there is a 772 from MIA-LAX some days (AA275 at 5.30pm) and DFW has 757s and 763s between DFW and MIA.
Not worth a connection IMHO.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, if it were international I'd consider a connection to get better F service but not on a domestic transcon. Unfortunately both flights are probably breakfast (one leaves at 8 and the other 845), which is typically disgusting, but the extra comfort will be welcome and I'll eat at the airport before heading out from SFO (Lark St. Grill is a pretty good restaurant in Terminal 2).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
For $250 I'd say that you made the right choice. Otherwise, only if it was the A321T with the lay flat "F" seats (equal to international J).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
You also get free bags if that matters. Beware, the bulkhead seats on the AA 321 planes have poor legroom; exit row seats are better.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The F fare is often a little more than 2X Y. In addition to the benefits already mentioned, you get 2X EQM and a much more comfortable ride. It makes sense if you're aiming for status, but if this is a one off trip on AA maybe not so much. For $250 on a transcon I would say it's worth it.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by switters
Yeah, if it were international I'd consider a connection to get better F service but not on a domestic transcon. Unfortunately both flights are probably breakfast (one leaves at 8 and the other 845), which is typically disgusting, but the extra comfort will be welcome and I'll eat at the airport before heading out from SFO (Lark St. Grill is a pretty good restaurant in Terminal 2).
Eat in the airport if you can. That way, you don't have to think twice about the food on the plane, which is never great.

You're in F for the extra legroom and the better seat. Even lazy FA's cannot take that away from you.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I don't drink at all on airplanes, so that's no benefit at all. And I'm kind of a food snob so I will often bring my own on the plane rather than suffer through the mediocre meals. It's a different story on international flights in J or F, but the only domestic airline that has decent food in F is (was) Virgin. So sad they're gone.

I decided to go with an exit row in main cabin extra both directions. I do appreciate the comfort of F especially on the return flight, but I think in this case I can live without it.

Thanks everyone.
I just flew MIA/SFO on the 321 up front. The food on MIA/SFO was better than EZE/MIA up front. Not by a lot, but still ... This is a long flight westbound (but even worse after a 9 hour flight). Fortunately, the plane had IFE.
I can't agree with those who suggest a connection to have part of the trip in possibly more comfort. More chances of irrops, not to mention making a 6 hour flight turn into 9 hours of first gate to last gate travel time.

As for 2x the price, it depends what the prices are. $300 v $600? I'd likely pay the $600 (and the added earnings). $600 v $1200? I'd bring my own food in a narrower seat.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:15 pm

Well one way to think about it is that AA sells 500-mile upgrades for $40 and it would take 6 of them to upgrade this flight (if one had status and IF - haha - it cleared), so the differential to buy up is $10 and that gets you all the extra miles, etc.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Depends on how much you drink.
To me, that and the additional comfort of the seats that make it worth it (depending on how much extra it is). I also enjoy the hot nuts and have occasionally had a decent meal. I certainly don't count on the meal though.
I used to like the warm nuts until I saw the FA using her bare hands to fill the nut ramekins and then wipe the spillage off the top of the cart and sweep it into a nut ramekin she then served. Her service was vile and nasty as well. I was sitting in 1C and the FA was doing this on top of a cart she pushed in front of the door.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Paying double, probably isn't worth it, but it all depends on your wants/needs and finances right?

I flew SEA-MIA red eye on a 737...it was tolerable...not good but tolerable.

The return flight though is MIA-SEA leaving at like 2100...it's absolutely miserable. The one I flew was full, of course there's no food, the b-o-b isn't great, it's long as hell, cramped and crowded.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:16 am

Turns out I misread the price. F is $250 more than Y. At that price I think the extra comfort alone is worth it, especially on the flight home. So I'm going with it. Thanks again.
You really should read this
https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...ifference.html

You can get mint seat for $449 O/W on FLL-SFO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.