Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lands' End making new uniforms for AA employees in 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Lands' End is making new uniforms for American Airlines employees - Jan. 9, 2018

From the article:

The carrier announced Tuesday that 51,000 airline workers, including flight attendants and customer service representatives, will receive new work outfits in late 2019.

. . .

The new uniforms from Lands' End still need to be designed. The plan is to start testing them out in October 2018.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:08 pm

So Land's End is no longer part of Sears like Kmart is.

Too bad, as I was looking forward to all kinds of jokes about "if the FA's didn't like their uniforms before, just wait till they get what Dougie put on layaway."
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:44 pm

We just want something that won't give us a rash, or respiratory illness.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Hopefully the clowns of US Airways can get this right the 2nd time around...already seems like they’re copying Delta on their literal approach to vendor, testing, fitting etc.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by skylady
We just want something that won't give us a rash, or respiratory illness.
That was my thought. Please make this better quality than the last round.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:12 am
formerly PHLGrump

Off topic, but anyone see Alitalia doing a uniform re-design in the midst of takeover/bankruptcy. Viva Italia!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Hopefully the clowns of US Airways can get this right the 2nd time around...already seems like they’re copying Delta on their literal approach to vendor, testing, fitting etc.
What were the issues Delta experienced with its latest uniform changeover?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I like the fact that Lands End has a proven track record with airline uniforms. The supply uniforms to DL. I sometimes fly DL when going to the few cities that AA doesn't currently server (e.g. Missoula) and have never had uniforms come up as a point of concern by DL flight attendants. I wish though that this change had happened sooner but better late than never.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What were the issues Delta experienced with its latest uniform changeover?
there have been none and I didn’t say there were....AA is basically now following the DL way of doing uniforms and is actively engaging employees, using the same uniform manufacturer etc....LAA was on this same road until the cheapskates of US Airways took over the program and created a uniform crisis.

LAA FAs and Pilots wanted this regime though so here were with another misstep by the new regime.

its so ironic that almost everything AA does now (run by LUS) is basically copying DL which they unsuccessfully took over....”Keep AA my US Airways” :/

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jan 11, 2018 at 1:17 am
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

there have been none and I didn’t say there were....AA is basically now following the DL way of doing uniforms and is actively engaging employees, using the same uniform manufacturer etc....LAA was on this same road until the cheapskates of US Airways took over the program and created a uniform crisis.

LAA FAs and Pilots wanted this regime though so here were with another misstep by the new regime.

its so ironic that almost everything AA does now (run by LUS) is basically copying DL which they unsuccessfully took over....”Keep AA my US Airways” :/
Actually if AA were copying DL, they would be buying used airplanes and keeping old planes much longer. For example, DL over the past few years has purchased a large number of MD-90s from China Southern and China Eastern. Many of DL's large fleet of Boeing 757's are former TWA planes that AA found to be inconsistent with it's existing fleet of 757's. DL still has over 200 MD-80 and MD90 series aircraft while AA is down to 45 and shrinking fast. In general the DL fleet is the oldest of the 5 largest U.S. carriers. It also has by far the least rationalized fleet of any U.S. carriers which no doubts creates huge issues with training, maintenance, and schedules. DL may be financially correct with their strategy of updating interiors in old planes, but that may fail if oil rises in cost and suddenly they are stuck with a large fleet of old MD-80s, MD90, 757s, and 767s (they have more of those planes than anyone else).
MorganB likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ksweeney
I<snip>and have never had uniforms come up as a point of concern by DL flight attendants. <snip>.
In my many years of flying, I have never had a uniform discussion with an FA from any airline
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
In my many years of flying, I have never had a uniform discussion with an FA from any airline
In 50+ years of commercial flying the only discussion of uniforms that I have ever had have been with AA flight attendants. The conversations were early on when discussing the similarity in scarf colors to the old "Delta Flying Colors" scheme. That's when I heard the complaints. Like you I don't recall having conversations with FA's on uniforms - I have had a lot of conversations with "disgruntled" FA's on many other issues though on multiple carriers especially with United, Northwest, America West and US Airways staff before these carriers merged with other carriers. The most notable change is the legacy NWA flight attendants who once seemed almost hostile to passengers seem to be reasonably happy when I fly the occasional Delta flight out of MSP or DTW.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Just flew with an FA working the galley ICN-DFW dressed in layman's closed. A frilly white shirt with long trail down one side and black pants. She may be using the uniform issues as a way not to wear the current pieces, but this was nowhere close to a replacement. It made for an odd experience; several people were commenting that they found it odd some random person was working the galley and preparing their meals.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Just flew with an FA working the galley ICN-DFW dressed in layman's closed. A frilly white shirt with long trail down one side and black pants. She may be using the uniform issues as a way not to wear the current pieces, but this was nowhere close to a replacement. It made for an odd experience; several people were commenting that they found it odd some random person was working the galley and preparing their meals.
I've noticed a few AA FAs wearing their old PMAA uniforms, which now makes sense to me given the problems they had with the new uniform. I didn't mind the old uniform much (PMAA), but the turtle necks from the PMUS side were truly pathetic. Hopefully the new uniforms get a pop of color. Grey uniforms, grey planes, grey linens, grey cabins...
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I've noticed a few AA FAs wearing their old PMAA uniforms, which now makes sense to me given the problems they had with the new uniform. I didn't mind the old uniform much (PMAA), but the turtle necks from the PMUS side were truly pathetic. Hopefully the new uniforms get a pop of color. Grey uniforms, grey planes, grey linens, grey cabins...
t least the new uniforms will be blue (a more traditional airline uniform color) than the Twin Hill emphasis on grey. Why American Airlines is going back to blue in new uniforms from Lands' End, 21 Feb 2018 Business Journal. Lands’ End* makes uniforms Alaska and Delta.

*Lands’ End was a Sears / Sears Holding owned company 2002-2013. It is not currently associated with Sears.

Old Twin Hill uniforms:
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 22, 2018 at 10:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.