Wiki Posts
Search

Dog in Flagship Lounge JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Colin
the issue is AA's failure to follow the law in allowing a dog inside a restaurant
And you know for sure this wasn't a service dog? The AC isn't classified as a restaurant anyways, and given that NY allows pets in certain areas of actual restaurants (as of 2015).. it is likely a moot point anyways. Considering pets are allowed by AC access policy, I assume AA's well-paid lawyers are well aware of the health code ramifications.

Otherwise, by all means, complain.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
And you know for sure this wasn't a service dog? The AC isn't classified as a restaurant anyways, and given that NY allows pets in certain areas of actual restaurants (as of 2015).. it is likely a moot point anyways. Considering pets are allowed by AC access policy, I assume AA's well-paid lawyers are well aware of the health code ramifications.

Otherwise, by all means, complain.
let's count the errors in the above post

1. a service dog does not run up to strangers growling, a service dog is identified as such with a physical jacket, an ESA is not a service dog and does not supersede the health code
2. asserting without evidence and in the passive voice that the AA flagship lounge is not classified as a restaurant doesn't mean jack - it serves an open-air buffet and sit-down meals - it must comply with NYC health codes
3. NYC restaurants are absolutely prohibited from allowing animals inside, with the exception of service dogs, and have been for ages, well before 2015

Last edited by Colin; Jan 11, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

let's count the errors in the above post

1. a service dog does not run up to strangers growling, a service dog is is identified as such with a physical jacket, an ESA is not a service dog and does not supersede the health code
2. asserting without evidence and in the passive voice that the AA flagship lounge is not classified as a restaurant doesn't mean jack - it serves an open-air buffet and sit-down meals - it must comply with NYC health codes
3. NYC restaurants are absolutely prohibited from allowing animals inside, with the exception of service dogs, and have been for ages, well before 2015
And yet AA allows pets in the AC. What does that indicate? That you figured out something AA overlooked? Or there probably is a legal reason why it is allowed?
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:09 pm

And yet AA allows pets in the AC. What does that indicate? That you figured out something AA overlooked? Or there probably is a legal reason why it is allowed?
glad you decided to drop your arguments

i see dogs inside Starbucks weekly - by your logic, dogs are lawfully allowed in restaurants because Starbucks has great lawyers
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

glad you decided to drop your arguments

i see dogs inside Starbucks weekly - by your logic, dogs are allowed in restaurants
I am talking about policy, not what happens anecdotally. Also, where did the OP say it wasn't a service animal, was an ESA or anything. he/she simply said "dog"

Your response to the arguments made me decide to try another tack.. not interesting in a debate on choice of active and passive voice, among other things.

Last edited by Antarius; Jan 11, 2018 at 2:16 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:17 pm

a service dog does not run up to strangers growling
carlosdca likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ksweeney
I don't know how she boards with two dogs. One is usually in a carrier that she places under her seat and the other is leashed when she boards, but is unleashed once she sits down. Once a passenger across the aisle wanted to pet the dog, and the lady told the dog to go to her. When the other passenger was done petting the dog, went back across the aisle (under my outstretched legs) and went back to the lady. I don't know if she buys tickets for them, claims one as a comfort dog, or has black mail information on AA management but she somehow boards the plane with 2 dogs. I normally am annoyed by dogs (or snakes) on a plane but the times that I have been on with these they have been absolutely well behaved.

That’s crazy stuff. Props to the owner for good training though.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
The issue here was not the dog.. it was an owner who was being inconsiderate. No different than the boorish drunk at the AC bar or the my-kids-are-angels parents who do nothing while the kids throw chips everywhere. The solution is to kick inconsiderate people out, not add blanket rules that ruin it for everyone else.
Did I say the issue was the Dog ? My beef is with the owners as well !
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Doggone.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:05 pm

I don't know what I like about FT more, The ads that pop up congratulating me that I won a$1000 in amazon gift cards or threads like there go sideways
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I don't know what I like about FT more, The ads that pop up congratulating me that I won a$1000 in amazon gift cards or threads like there go sideways
I notified my employer of my retirement in a December thanks to all the free Amazon cash on FT. Only have 20 days left.
DataPlumber likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Im getting a service skunk. It will save me the embarrassment of having to point to my fellow gate lice when people pick up the scent. 😂
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: LH HON
It's even worse that those with fake service dogs are not even embarrassed, when they're being called out. You can spot the difference so easily, it's amazing. There's a service dog in our family (autism) - the well trained behavior is immediately recognizable and differs from non-service dogs (even trained ones) by far.

Everyone abusing the system should be embarrassed and fined. They are ruining it for people who actually need them.
george 3 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LukeO9
I just went into the quiet area of AA's Flagship Lounge and had a dog run up to me growling.
I stared at the owner who said nothing but "come here [mut]"
The key issue here is obviously the fact that it was the quiet area. If the dog was going to be growling, it should've gone in the other section of the lounge. Clearly the owner needs to train it to be quiet in the quiet area.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by mvoight
So, now passengers can bring on 2 "emotional support" animals?
Yes, the second dog provides emotional support to the first. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.