Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any way to...BUY up to premium economy on BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any way to...BUY up to premium economy on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
I have done the AUP (Airport Upgrade) on BA a few times after buying ticket on AA stock. It is truly a crapshoot. One time I got the upgrade from WT to WT+ ORD to LHR at $175. Another time it was $525. I usually tend to see it generally around $350 for most of my travels.

I have started just just booking PE directly on the segments I want it. The chances of a good deal at the airport are decreasing as time goes on.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amil
i did it at the airport check in I forgot how much exactly but posted it on the post. an exit row is probably better then the WT+ space IMO
But who can reserve an exit row seat on a BA flight booked through AA, and how?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by CO777ER
When you call to have them change to PE, be sure to clarify that you want a P fare not a W fare. I just hung up with an EXP agent that quoted me a W fare despite having P availability on ITA. Luckily I recognized the ~$400 price difference per person between P and W.
Nonfrequent flyer question here...I was trying to find the answer to this a few days ago but couldn't — what is the difference between P & W fares?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Layell
Nonfrequent flyer question here...I was trying to find the answer to this a few days ago but couldn't — what is the difference between P & W fares?
That's AA's two PE codes. P is the more restricted one (so cheaper), and W is technically less restricted (so more expensive). Not sure if AA has a fully flexible PE code.

Keep in mind to read the fare rules before payment.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But who can reserve an exit row seat on a BA flight booked through AA, and how?
I got the record locator number from AA for the BA reservation. When I looked up my booking on BA.com, I could select seats (as a sapphire member) but they want 80+ Pounds to upgrade into the exit row seat. Seems kind of lame that One World has differences between their respective airlines. AA (offering Sapphire/Plat/Plat Gold) allows you to book into MCE and Exit row for free. BA apparently not?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by northernlights1
I got the record locator number from AA for the BA reservation. When I looked up my booking on BA.com, I could select seats (as a sapphire member) but they want 80+ Pounds to upgrade into the exit row seat. Seems kind of lame that One World has differences between their respective airlines. AA (offering Sapphire/Plat/Plat Gold) allows you to book into MCE and Exit row for free. BA apparently not?
Not for Sapphire (BA Silver) or Ruby(BA Bronze), unfortunately.

"2Free seat selection is not available on group rate bookings and excludes exit row seats on long haul flights for Bronze and Silver Members."

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits/compare-the-tiers?clickpage=executive-club--tiers-and-benefits--index&kmtag=c&ban=||HC|4x1|LNK1|||||||||L2|||||||

Last edited by andersonCooper; Jan 8, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP.

As a saphire ive never had a problem booking premium seats over the phone. they always accommodated me.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Would I have been better off booking through BA side of things?
Because it is an open jaw neither BA nor AA's website would let you buy a mixed cabin itinerary. You need to do this over the phone. Both websites would let you buy a mixed cabin return journey though.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I have only been able to select exit row on BA without charge at checkin (T-24) as sapphire, when on a discount economy fare
I believe this is documented on the BA site
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
BA charges for everything. I am ExP cannot select some seats ...
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
That's AA's two PE codes. P is the more restricted one (so cheaper), and W is technically less restricted (so more expensive). Not sure if AA has a fully flexible PE code.

Keep in mind to read the fare rules before payment.
Thanks very much!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Technically, W is the fully flexible PE booking code. That being said, I recently bought a ticket in W, and the fare carriers a cancellation fee and a change fee.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by broland
BA charges for everything. I am ExP cannot select some seats ...
As an EXP there are no seats that BA makes you pay for.

You should have access to all seats on BA, with the small exception of the very front of First Class and any bassinet seats, but you cannot pay for these.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Technically, W is the fully flexible PE booking code. That being said, I recently bought a ticket in W, and the fare carriers a cancellation fee and a change fee.
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

You should have access to all seats on BA, with the small exception of the very front of First Class and any bassinet seats, but you cannot pay for these.
Agree. W, on most other airlines, are fully flexible PE. I was too lazy to go through the entire fare codes last night on aa.com, where a not-so-friendly system was the only option to check...

Agree to the second as well. I did not incur any expenses last year selecting seats on couple O fare intra-EU flights, including one exit seat.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

Exactly. That's what I said - "some seats". Any economy seats with better legroom are not available to ExP/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.