Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any way to...BUY up to premium economy on BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum

Bought open jaw travel on AA paper stock. AA metal to DUB. Then Return from LHR on BA. S Economy ticket. I FALSELY understood my platinum/sapphire status would allow an upgrade. My mistake. But now I have this ticket and I'd like to be in premium economy coming home. Anyway to buy into that inventory?

Last edited by northernlights1; Jan 8, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If this is an AA ticket, then you can pay the fare difference to return in Premium Economy. I believe that AA doesn't charge a change fee for this , just the fare difference
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
You sure it's in Y fare? You could use AA miles to upgrade BA metal flights in this case.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
You sure it's in Y fare? You could use AA miles to upgrade BA metal flights in this case.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp

Just changed original post. S FARE. Subliminally I was hoping it was Y fare.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If this is an AA ticket, then you can pay the fare difference to return in Premium Economy. I believe that AA doesn't charge a change fee for this , just the fare difference
Do I call AA desk or BA? It is an AA ticket. There wasn't a way that I saw on booking the ticket online to split the fare into Economy outbound (of which I am in MCE) and return on Premium Economy. Is there a way to do that for the future?

And is World Traveler Plus product any more beneficial than possible leg room?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by northernlights1
Just changed original post. S FARE. Subliminally I was hoping it was Y fare.
That makes sense (and that's why I asked that question first.). Then I would follow Dave's advice on #2 .
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Bought open jaw travel on AA paper stock. AA metal to DUB. Then Return from LHR on BA. S Economy ticket. I FALSELY understood my platinum/sapphire status would allow an upgrade. My mistake. But now I have this ticket and I'd like to be in premium economy coming home. Anyway to buy into that inventory?
if you’re willing to take a chance, BA routinely offers a buy up to WT+ at the airport during checkin. Prices vary by route, but there is s thread on the BA forum in which people report the offers they’ve received to upgrade.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:36 pm

Do I call AA desk or BA? It is an AA ticket. There wasn't a way that I saw on booking the ticket online to split the fare into Economy outbound (of which I am in MCE) and return on Premium Economy. Is there a way to do that for the future?

And is World Traveler Plus product any more beneficial than possible leg room?
BA Premium Economy is closer to a domestic US 1st class product in style - wider seats, a better gap between passengers and better legroom

It is a much nicer product

The AA website is not really set up for handling mixed class bookings; booking over the phone is the way to go for such bookings

Since you made the booking with AA, it is AA where you need to go to make the change
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

BA Premium Economy is closer to a domestic US 1st class product in style - wider seats, a better gap between passengers and better legroom

It is a much nicer product

The AA website is not really set up for handling mixed class bookings; booking over the phone is the way to go for such bookings

Since you made the booking with AA, it is AA where you need to go to make the change
Very Helpful. Last question(no promises). Would I have been better off booking through BA side of things? (I'm an AA plat). I think if i would have asked for premium economy, it would have presented the economy AA outbound and Premium Economy Return? Would I have had access to MCE then on the AA outbound?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
When you call to have them change to PE, be sure to clarify that you want a P fare not a W fare. I just hung up with an EXP agent that quoted me a W fare despite having P availability on ITA. Luckily I recognized the ~$400 price difference per person between P and W.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:57 pm

Very Helpful. Last question(no promises). Would I have been better off booking through BA side of things? (I'm an AA plat). I think if i would have asked for premium economy, it would have presented the economy AA outbound and Premium Economy Return? Would I have had access to MCE then on the AA outbound?
BA and AA have a Joint venture on the US routes and (ime) the fares seem to be identical whether issued by AA or BA

The BA site is much better at handling mixed class itineraries and will offer Economy in one direction combined with Premium economy in the other

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 8, 2018 at 2:04 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

BA and AA have a Joint venture on the US routes and (ime) the fares seem to be identical whether issued by AA or BA

The BA site is much better at handling mixed class itineraries and will offer Economy in one direction combined with Premium economy in the other
But would I have access to free MCE inventory if booking through BA website and on BA paper as an AA Plat?(not an avios member)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:01 pm

But would I have access to free MCE inventory if booking through BA website and on BA paper as an AA Plat?(not an avios member)
Yes.

AA Main Cabin Extra on BA booking
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:01 pm

I don't get it. (At least the US version of) aa.com lets you select different cabins for outbound vs. return. You don't get this with multi-city bookings, but it works fine for roundtrips.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
i did it at the airport check in I forgot how much exactly but posted it on the post. an exit row is probably better then the WT+ space IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.