Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Any plans for LAS / Vegas Admirals Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Any plans for LAS / Vegas Admirals Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan
Friend works at Clark County Aviation Dept (management). There is absolutely no more room available to put anybody's lounge.
When you exit the D-gates, heading to the train, that area is under construction--it is large enough to house a new AC. But I think some retail shops are being placed there.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, after DL has one
Let's remember that DL is partnered with American Express which happens to operate a Centurion Lounge at LAS. In 2019 DL has announced that it basically is encouraging its premium customers to get Amex Plats vs a DL card for lounge access. (Club members lose access to clubs when not on DL+Partners, fee higher, etc.) With a United Club, this means that AA is left out. As to the CMH folks: not sure how many nonstop flights to Asia + Europe leave that airport, probably less than Vegas.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Several points to address here.

1. There is space available in the D gates for a club per my source who works at the Department Of Aviation.
2. The old HP Club is now a USO.
3. AS contracts with The Club at LAS for their passengers. AA could do the same.
4. DL is turning LAS into a focus city. During CES, there is scheduled service from AMS, CDG x2, ICN, and NRT and other non-hub cities. The rest of the year, there are flights to/from the DL hubs in addition to SAN, SNA, SJC, and others. Departure Results List: Las Vegas (LAS) (20 results)? ? Delta Air Lines Map. I would bet on a DL club before we see anything from AA.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
That said, MCO, another heavy leisure market, just (re-) opened a club.
But I wouldn't be surprised if MCO has much more business travel than LAS.

You're forgetting that lots of cities have nonstop flights to MCO, but very few have nonstop flights to MLB. And thus (at least from those cities that have nonstop service to MCO) people flying on business to the Space Coast just fly to MCO, given that it's less than hour drive difference much of the time compared to flying in to MLB (where you'd lose time making connections).

But the number of people flying into LAS for business at Nellis is undoutedly tiny compared to the number of people who fly to MCO for business all over the space coast.

And don't forget that LAX-MCO also has business travelers working in the resort industries: Both cities have Disney, both cities have Universal, etc.

So some routes to MCO may have more business travelers than other routes.

But is there anything of the sort that counts for LAS, other than conventions?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Orlando's Convention Center is actually larger than the one in Las Vegas. Orlando has 2.1 million square feet of exhibition space and 480,000 square feet of function (meeting rooms) space. Las Vegas has 2 million square feet of exhibition space and 250,000 square feet of meeting space. Sources (if anybody cares):

Orlando: Why Choose the Orange County Convention Center? Visit Orlando
Las Vegas: Las Vegas Convention Center LVCVA

Orlando has been actively fighting their image of being "just a theme park" town for a long time. I'd bet that sdsearch's comments relating to how each airport authority feels about airline lounges is probably in play. I'd guess that MCO's leadership would eagerly welcome a lounge but LAS would be less enthusiastic.
That's just the LVCC. The Sands Expo center is another 2mil+ feet of expo space and Mandalay Bay has another 1mil+
LAS certainly has a lot of business travel, but I would assume the decision to build a (domestic) club has more to do with the ability to sell memberships which is probably more a function of how much originating traffic there is. And there isn't a ton of that.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:22 am

While the convention center itself may be 5% larger in Orlando, from your stats, I'd venture to say there is far more convention space in Vegas than Orlando considering hotel ballrooms outside of what is offered in the actual convention center at either location. Meaning I would bet there is more convention business travel into Vegas than Orlando, but I have no data, just a hunch.
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan
Just wait. Major 600K sq ft expansion is underway in Las Vegas.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That's just the LVCC. The Sands Expo center is another 2mil+ feet of expo space and Mandalay Bay has another 1mil+.
I was only responding to a post that had noted that MCI and LAS have a ton of convention business. Turns out that MCI was a typo and it should have been MCO.

That said, Orlando has a ton of hotel convention space, too. I have no desire to play "who has more convention space" because it really doesn't matter. Both cities get a ton of business travelers. That's the point I was trying to make.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But I wouldn't be surprised if MCO has much more business travel than LAS.

You're forgetting that lots of cities have nonstop flights to MCO, but very few have nonstop flights to MLB. And thus (at least from those cities that have nonstop service to MCO) people flying on business to the Space Coast just fly to MCO, given that it's less than hour drive difference much of the time compared to flying in to MLB (where you'd lose time making connections).
I flew into MCO two weeks ago for the first time since I moved away in 2005. The promo video playing on an endless loop in the baggage claim area was touting Orlando's pro-business climate. And, your point about the Space Coast is a good one.

I think it's natural for most leisure travelers to assume Orlando is just a theme park town. If you don't go outside the attractions area, you wouldn't know otherwise. I'd bet most tourists wouldn't even know there's a decent-sized Downtown and many non-tourist businesses just a few miles up I-4.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
is the old CMH club in the "bump out" part of the terminal in this screen cap from google maps? If so, looks like it's a gate now, as it has a jet bridge attached. it's in the right place on the map from the former TWA club which became the HP club.
Clearly it's much easier to get a club if there is existing square footage that can me remodeled rather than added to an existing exterior of a building.

e little
Originally Posted by wb8iny
The "bump out" is the special gate/holding area that Columbus built for Skybus, after America West left the market. A great investment, I think they lasted a year. The America West (and TWA) club was in the main terminal, I used it many times as a loyal TWA flyer. About the same location.
I now spend my time on Delta in terminal C, with no club access.........
The switchback ramps which led to the Skybus gate area are/were under the "bump". There's now a holdroom for B21 and retail built over that area. I believe the TW/HP club became a restaurant.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
I asked about that when I was in Vegas a while back.

It seems that there is a very interesting quirk of Nevada/Las Vegas law that says that anything named a "club" is required to offer gambling. There is also an absolute rule that anything that offers gambling must be open to the general public.

These two rules, taken together, rule out all possibility of an Admirals Club in Vegas. The first rule would require the Admirals Club to offer gambling (probably slot machines). The second rule would require a Vegas Admirals Club to be open to the general public, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the Admirals Club in the first place.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:59 pm

I'd say you were led up the garden path

Jockey Club Resort suites with kitchens for rent and exchanges in Las Vegas, Nevada

I don't think it offers gambling
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:37 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zarkov505

It seems that there is a very interesting quirk of Nevada/Las Vegas law that says that anything named a "club" is required to offer gambling. There is also an absolute rule that anything that offers gambling must be open to the general public.

These two rules, taken together, rule out all possibility of an Admirals Club in Vegas. The first rule would require the Admirals Club to offer gambling (probably slot machines). The second rule would require a Vegas Admirals Club to be open to the general public, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the Admirals Club in the first place.
In T1 (at LAS), the Priority Pass lounge call "The Club", does not have gambling, admission (to the general public) is NOT free.
"The Club" is extremely small, AA (or any large airline) should not consider allowing use of this lounge to be an AC replacement.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by zarkov505

Come on. Completely fabricated. There is literally a UNITED CLUB already in Terminal D!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Come on. Completely fabricated. There is literally a UNITED CLUB already in Terminal D!
as well as “The Club” in D as well..
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Real brain scratcher, why no AC at LAS

I had the displeasure of a long wait for a delayed flight at LAS. I was amazed at the number of gates and number of flights AA has at LAS. Given the amount of conference and trade show business at LAS and the volume of flights its a real brain stratcher to me why AA doesn't have an AC at LAS. (IIRC PMUS did until LAS was dehubbed.) By flight volume, LAS surely must be the most busy airport served by AA without an AC. Does anyone know has AA tried to secure space but turned down by the airport authority.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:15 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this has been discussed in other threads. Now it may be too late: (1)amex contusion, (2)priority pass Club fill the lounge gap.
There is not a big enough population base living in las, until recently few pax connected in las.
with bas LHR service maybe things might change--but is there any d gate space for a lounge.?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
There is not a big enough population base living in las
Yeah. I'd imagine that LAS has got to be near the bottom in fraction of travelers through the airport who are actually based there, and probably relatively low in flyers who go to the airport a lot because traffic is driven more by conferences and leisure than by regular consultants. So the population of people who would make an Admirals Club membership purchase decision based on the presence or absence of an LAS club is probably quite small relative to the number of users (ie the cost). But I'm purely guessing. And then again, MCO got a lounge recently, and all of those things are also true about MCO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.