Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Gate Pass Conditions / Requirements as of 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Member and Guest of Flying Business Purpose Access to Admirals Club - OVER

As of 14 Sep 2016 (unannounced), verified with Meeting Services and Admirals Club Service Center:

Gate passes will ONLY be available to previously declared participants at meetings in rented (paid for) conference facilities at those Clubs that have them. Participants must be registered at least 24 hours in advance with Club Member or Meeting Services (they're closed weekends). Without a conference room booking:

NO MORE gate passes for Admirals Club members declaring business purposes more than 24 hours in advance.

NO MORE gate passes for Admirals Club members' guests when declaring business purposes more than 24 hours in advance.

NO MORE gate passes for Admirals Club members at the ticket counter (has been gone some time now).

Club members may still enter and use Admirals Clubs when they have airside access for other reasons than flying AA through 1 Nov 2019, but gate pass availability is gone other than as described above.

Revised Admirals Club Terms and Conditions: link.

Q. I am a member and would like to meet someone at the airport, but I'm not flying today. Can I get through Security to get to the Admirals Club lounge?

A: Generally not. If you have rented a conference room you and your conferees may access the Club by previous arrangement. Casual access / walking up to the ticket counter to request a gate pass is not permitted; please do not put employees in an uncomfortable position by asking.

Members and non-members can NO LONGER schedule and attend business meetings (non-conference room meetings) in the Admirals Club® or Executive Center without traveling.

To admit yourself and conferees you must call at least 24 hours in advance and have rented a conference room at that Club:

Please contact Admirals Club Customer Service at least 24 hours prior to your business meeting by dialing 1-800 237-7971 from the U.S, Canada, or Puerto Rico, and pressing Option 1 or by dialing 1-817-963-6100 (from international locations) between the hours* of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (Central Time) and providing the following information at least 24 hours in advance:
  • Admirals Club number/AAdvantage® number
  • Legal name as it appears on government issued identification for each individual
  • Birth dates, including year, for each individual (maximum of two guests allowed for non-conference room meeting)*
  • Location, date and time of rented conference room meeting
We will arrange for Security clearance with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to allow you to get to the lounge. This opportunity is available for Admirals Club members only (and their conferees attending a meeting in a paid conference room).

*(Times corrected to current service center hours)

From language on aa.com in the wiki of Admirals Club Membership: Annual, Citi Card (+ 1 Day Pass) (master thread). Italicized parts added for clarification.

Q. Am I required to rent a conference room to meet with others?

Yes, you are, as of 14 Sep 2015.

Q. Can't I just purchase a fully refundable ticket and use that?

It's honestly not a good idea, as this practice is specifically prohibited by American Airlines' Conditions of Carriage (Link):

American specifically prohibits practices commonly known as:

...Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as ... or to gain access to airport facilities....
But if you have a boarding pass for another flight other terminal, in the USA most airport security / TSA personnel will allow access to another terminal.

Unfortunately, as of 1 November 2019, even as a fully paid up member you will be required to possess a same day boarding pass for American, Alaska or a oneworld partner.

Starting November 1, 2019, same-day boarding passes on American Airlines or partner airlines will be required for entry.1
We assume, but do not know for sure at this time, that conference space rental will gain Admirals Club admission as long as you book the facility more than 24 hours (one working day) in advance.

Link to previous, archived thread.

Print Wikipost

AA Gate Pass Conditions / Requirements as of 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Got a gate pass bringing my 77 year old mom through DCA today. Agent saw here in a wheel chair and didn't even blink when I asked for a gate pass. TSA agent was a little confused by it as it said SABRE something on it as the airline. Other agent told her what it was and it was off to the checkpoint macarena for me.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I can confirm the TSA at SFO doesn’t care what terminal you’re going out of when you go through security. I regularly go to the Centurion Lounge but fly American.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by samwise6222
I got gate passes before when I left my phone on the plane......
Oh wow. This thread again.

Here's a story of how I got my gate pass.

I am a quite shady person. As such, I usually travel with three phones - an iPhone, a Galaxy S8 and a Blackberry.

On that day, I was returning from a long flight from somewhere... Perhaps it was my return trip from South Africa? I quite don't remember.

I get off the plane and as I passed the baggage pickup area, I started looking for my phone to call an Uber to get home.

Oh no. My phone is not in my purse. I ping it, and it says it's right around where the red circle is.

Shoot. I left it on the plane.

So I seek AA agent's help.

They make some call. They say there's no one available to go pick it up. They say they will try to see if there's anyone who would be coming back from that area.

Nope. No one wants to make a trek to where I am (blue circle).

The agent says follow me. She says they are going to give me a gate pass since no one wants to go get the phone or bring it out.

I get my gate pass.

No TSA Pre Check.

No Priority.

I inquire.

They say it doesn't apply as it's just a gate pass.

The day is Friday before Christmas.

I wait in the economy security line for approx 1 hr.

Extra pat down on the way in.

Shlep all the way over to the other concourse.

It's December, but my back is completely wet with sweat.

I get to the gate.

They won't let me back in to the plane. I show them the GPS coordinates of my phone (of course, they are useless).

10 minutes, they can't find it.

I ring the anti-theft alarm.

I can hear my phone.

They find my phone.

I got the gate pass.

I found my phone.

This is a Christmas miracle.

I am victorious.
JDiver, Spiff and TWA884 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.