Wiki Posts
Search

AA won't waitlist for a revenue ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
AA won't waitlist for a revenue ticket?

Spoke with an AA agent and she claimed that AA won't wait list my full-revenue ticket for an earlier AA flight. Fully-changeable (no fee) D fare and just want to travel on an earlier flight. Agent claims that ONLY upgrades can be WL and that either I need to keep calling back or standby at airport. Eh? When did this happen?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Are you not even gold? I would absolutely take down the person's information and send a note in.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP doesn't indicate his route of fare, but I'm looking at a D fare from ITA Matrix that it shows as YVAUPNDC NYC to LAX.

WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED.

If not SDC, then standby.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A J Fare is generally fully refundable and changeable with n fee - I’m not aware of discounted Business fares in D with that flexibility. I hope the OP has read the Detailed Fare Rules associated with that D fare.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at AA's fares for ORD-DFW as an example, other than the YA2AA, Y, JA2AA and J fares , they all state "WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED"

Looks like AA does not allow waitlisting on its domestic fares ( other than the full fare fares ) , so it seems likely that the agent was correct

I expect that it has been like that for a while; which route is the ticket for?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
OP here. It's a DONEx RTW fare that allows for open segments and has no prohibition on waitlists. Have waitlisted on other carriers. Regardless, though, the AAgent commented that NO revenue tickets can be WL'd. "Even a JFK-LAX in full Y?" "Nope. None."
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

HAve you tried asking another agent and perhaps calling the ATW desk?

I don't know whether the agent was correct in that AA has such a policy but , indeed, there is no restriction in the ATW fares in regards to it and would try phoning the ATW desk which has staff knowledgeable about these fares
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always been under the impression that only the "top" inventory class can be waitlisted on revenue (non-award) tickets. So F, J or Y only. Basically, when the cabin is full, you can waitlist for a seat, but only in (real) full-fare. You can't waitlist for a discounted ticket, and certainly the OWE is a discounted fare. (Of course the OP conveniently left that out first...)

Maybe the discussion specific to the OWE fare can be moved/pursued in the Oneworld forum? If it is possible then I'd assume the RTW desk might need to do it.

The other option is to set an ExpertFlyer alert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.