Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Note the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum is not the place to discuss visa or passport issues unless there’s an issue that relates particularly or uniquely to American Airlines.

If you want to discuss these there’s the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues subforum.

Some destination fora have threads on certain related issues, such as the China forum’s thread on TWOV / Transit Without Visa: China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

The airlines pretty much use IATA Timatic to determine if you’ll fly or not due to passport and visa issues. If you’ve used Timatic and know you qualify, if any airline employee challenges you you can tell them to look it up, ask for a supervisor or even print the results out and carry the document with you for guidance.

United Airlines has an online form you can fill out and get the same instructions the airline will get here.

Thank you,

JDiver, Moderator
Print Wikipost

Do I need a visa for my AA trip?

Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Do I need a visa for my AA trip?

Mileage run AUS-LAX-HKG with return HKG-PVG-DFW-AUS.

No visa required for HKG; assuming no Chinese visa required for a ~2h transit through PVG?

The rules seem simple on this but don't want to get tripped up.

TIA; most appreciated.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
You are correct. You qualify for TWOV at PVG.

See discussion:
China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

However, if on AA metal, be aware there are reports of denied boarding. See discussion here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...arding-aa.html
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
You are correct. You qualify for TWOV at PVG.

See discussion:
China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

However, if on AA metal, be aware there are reports of denied boarding. See discussion here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...arding-aa.html
OP won't have to worry about AA since OP will be flying CX or KA from HKG->PVG.

I'm also looking at this MR possibility
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
OP won't have to worry about AA since OP will be flying CX or KA from HKG->PVG.

I'm also looking at this MR possibility
You are correct, but similar things happened at CX as well. (Not at HKG though).

I am patiently waiting for QR J sales
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Airlines pretty much use IATA Timatic to determine if you’ll fly or not due to passport and visa issues. If you’ve used Timatic and know you qualify, if any airline employee challenges you you can tell them to look it up, ask for a supervisor or even print the results out and carry the document with you for guidance.

United Airlines has an online form you can fill out and get the same instructions the airline will get here.

Note the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum is not the place to discuss visa or passport issues unless there’s an issue that relates particularly or uniquely to American Airlines. Nor would I necessarily recommend relying on anonymous but helpful members of an Internet website, but if you want to discuss these there’s the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues subforum. And some destination fora have threads on certain related issues, such as the China forum’s thread on TWOV / Transit Without Visa, Which is linked to above.

We will retitled this thread somewhat and suggest you use Timatic and the appropriate fora for discussing these issues.

Thank you,

JDiver, Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.