Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Feb 1 2018 Plat Pro get free SDC / Same Day Change

Feb 1 2018 Plat Pro get free SDC / Same Day Change

Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:06 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Woohoo! There are a lot of times I could take an earlier or later flight but haven't because I didn't want to shell out the extra $75.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
If AA had put this news out in 2017, I may have mileage runned my way to PP as this is the incremental benefit over PLAT that has the most value to me (even over the UDU benefit of PP).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by David Ocamb
Disagree. Doesn't this put you ahead of non-rev and crew standby as well? With that being said, my wife does standby pretty much weekly on one of the toughest routes in AA's entire system (DFW-AUS) and I don't believe she's ever NOT cleared.
Standby and SDC aren't the same thing. Close but the not same.

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
If only SDC didn't require the same routing! Makes it nearly useless in most instances. I get now allowing changes to the # of stops, but why routing?

Now a pipe dream would be to mimick the UA policy of being a 24 hour change, not same day. That would allow more nights at home when meetings end early/etc.
^
This pretty much sums up my feelings on SDC, except for I'd also add the annoyance of it requiring AA to have a specific fare class open. It's too restricted to be useful. If you want a truly useful same day change policy, look at UA's.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
The above links to AAdvantage benefits overall, this links to SDC / SDS options: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
If only SDC didn't require the same routing! Makes it nearly useless in most instances. I get now allowing changes to the # of stops, but why routing?

Now a pipe dream would be to mimick the UA policy of being a 24 hour change, not same day. That would allow more nights at home when meetings end early/etc.
This is the factor that sends me to DL for most of my flights... I can SDC to any routing, through any connecting point, available. They've even let me go from non-stop to connecting flights, just not the other way around.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
If AA had put this news out in 2017, I may have mileage runned my way to PP ...
Do you have the elite buy-up offer e-mail? I'm not sure if it's still valid. I checked the link in mine, and get an error saying I'm not eligible (prob because I already re-qualified and can't buy up anyway.)
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by krlcomm
The above links to AAdvantage benefits overall, this links to SDC / SDS options: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Scroll down to

Benefits at the airport

There is a * at the SDC row, move down to see the notes.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
That's my point. I don't know that many people ever actually didn't make a standby flight (at the plat pro level), but SDC is still a VERY nice and useful benefit.

Originally Posted by bse118
Standby and SDC aren't the same thing. Close but the not same.

^
This pretty much sums up my feelings on SDC, except for I'd also add the annoyance of it requiring AA to have a specific fare class open. It's too restricted to be useful. If you want a truly useful same day change policy, look at UA's.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by David Ocamb
That's my point. I don't know that many people ever actually didn't make a standby flight (at the plat pro level), but SDC is still a VERY nice and useful benefit.
Yeah my standby take rate is already very high, but a lot of it is that confirmation, being able to board in your group, use UDU and the peace of mind. Many times I've debated going to the airport early to standby and ultimately decided not to because, particularly if the airport doesn't have a Club, you risk being stuck there all the time. Lately, I've been flying to DTW a lot, AA's terminal is shared with Spirit, there's like two fast food restaurants and two chain restaurants and not frequent enough flights to CLT, ORD, DFW so if you end up not getting standby, you can find yourself quite bored. Now with Same Day Confirmed, you can call ahead and take that risk out. While rare, often what happens is you notice there are lots of flights still for sale with seats, then a flight cancels, weather in ORD re-routes people through CLT, other IRROPS happen and suddenly your a standby passenger with no outs.

This might be the most significant benefit of PPro now, and given same day and use UDU, it makes the entire level, particularly for business travelers a bit more flexible.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DaWhirledTraveller
Do you have the elite buy-up offer e-mail? I'm not sure if it's still valid. I checked the link in mine, and get an error saying I'm not eligible (prob because I already re-qualified and can't buy up anyway.)
$1800, which is ridiculous for someone that exceeds EXP-level EQDs to get to 64k EQMs/68 EQSs.

For comparison, I could have gotten there with two PHL-DFW-YVR runs in December for <$700 (based on pricing when I was looking in November). SDC plus UDU for a year would be worth $700 to me but not even close to $1800.

I'll probably hit PP this year, as I had to take 3 months of minimal travel in the middle of 2017.

I use SDSB for flexibility on 'getaway day' on business trips by booking a late flight and standing by if I'm wrapped up early for some reason.

I find standby tough on hub-PHL routes, even as a PLAT - I've been first loser twice in the same day at ORD, and missed clearing on a few different occasions at CLT and ORD in 2017.

Outstation-PHL is usually no problem for clearing standby, however I have been unable to get GAs at outstations process me for an upgrade after I clear standby and there is a seat available in F. The one time it sort-of worked was at CMH, where she just told me to sit in 2F without issuing a BP because she was unsure how to make that happen.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by krlcomm
This is the factor that sends me to DL for most of my flights... I can SDC to any routing, through any connecting point, available. They've even let me go from non-stop to connecting flights, just not the other way around.
As a detail, for SDC Delta requires the purchased fare class to be available on the new flights. If you're buying bottom-of-the-bucket fares, SDC may not be available. This is a requirement waived for front cabin fares, even discounted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.