Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:58 am

Folks just have to realize that even with all the technology and airline notification systems in the world, we still live in an imperfect and unpredictable aviation world. I mean, what if the delay was caused because a flight attendant was suddenly sick (migraine, stomach ache etc) and had to be replaced. The replacement was expected to be available in 30 mins then an hour so the send the delay info. But then they got a replacement from another flight taking off later and now the original take off time is back on track. There's a million things that can cause a delay change and information could change on a dime. Again, 30 mins to 1 hr delay and I'd still get to the airport based on the original scheduled departure time.

I remember a recent Southwest flight I took at LAX. My mobile boarding pass said Gate 52B. The departure monitor in terminal 5 said Gate 52J. The Southwest app said Gate 52D. All at the same time. Had to walk up to gate agent to confirm the right gate. That's technology informing the customer. Not always an exact science.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I can't believe you're still arguing this. Absolutely nobody in this thread sits at the gate at T-15 of the originally scheduled departure time for flights showing as delayed. Nobody..
I’ll agree with this (well some people will just sit there anyway if they’ve got a good seat near a plug, etc.), but people can go to the bar, etc without fear because as long as you are checking the monitor/app, you should have enough time to get back. To actually go out on time, in most cases they need to start boarding at least 25 minutes before departure time.

OP said on the ride over the app was “changing back and forth,” but never really said what it ended at and what time this was all happening. I’d bet that from 5:30 forward, the departure time was showing as 5:55.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Lost
Directly from the AA COC (bolding mine): Screengrab for a random delayed flight from the AA app:I don't see what is so hard about this. Hopefully OP learned.
I find it comical that you circle the smaller showing of the original time, when the huge font time change reflecting the delay is supposed to be ignored. Unreal.
cur and hurnik like this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm sorry to hear you missed your flight. Been there, it sucks.

As others have mentioned, this is not unique to AA - airlines are put in a tough situation. Flights can be delayed for any number of reasons, some of which are out of control of the airline. For example, LGA could've had a lot of congestion ahead of the storm, which AA's FLIGHTOPS thought would delay the flight, so they did their best to put a time that they thought it would be. Then the delay cleared up. Or, as someone else said - perhaps it was a crew scheduling issue that was resolved. And if they hadn't mentioned it at all, if you got to the gate on time and they said "Sorry it'll be 3 hours late" you might feel a little upset. Airlines have to balance giving you the right information at the right time while setting appropriate customer expectations.

However, they should've been more clear that the flight can and will be rescheduled at will. A "Delay" is not a permanent flight schedule change. A nuanced view, of course, but one that is apparent to frequent fliers and not at all to infrequent ones. Given that an astonishing 87% of AA customers in 2014 only flew the airline once (https://qz.com/533501/half-of-americ...its-customers/), AA (and other airlines) could do a lot better in clarifying the messaging. A first-time flier doesn't know that a delay is not a permanent schedule change; they err'd in not being super clear about this. It wouldn't even be hard - "Your flight is delayed until 6PM; however we endeavor to make up the time, so be at your gate at the original time" is super easy to communicate.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You go to the airport to get rebooked the next day instead of calling?

"Kettle," indeed.
Why is that kettleish? I've done this a few times over the years at MCI. I lived 10 minutes from the airport, short-term parking is easy, and the counter agents there for most airlines are pretty chill and much easier to work with than a phone agent. If you're low-tier or non-status, might be worthwhile. It's paid off for me a few times in the US Air days when Philly and Pittsburgh were both hit by weather and it would have been an undetermined hold time on the phone. (The US counter staff at MCI was fantastic. That certainly influenced my decision. I always opted for them vs. the phone for any "challenging" booking or rebooking.)

Going to the airport likely doesn't make sense if you have an EXP/1K type phone line to call, but it could otherwise. Ideally there'd be this future state where airline apps are awesome and perfect rebooking tools for everyone, but today they aren't. Sometimes you need a human, and without high status getting one on the phone can be impossible.

I could even envision a case where I'm going to the airport as an AA Gold, based on some of the hold times we've seen since 2016.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I don't know ... I guess I'll know it when I see it but a one hour delay on an RJ out of LGA on a bad weather delay and I absolutely need to be there ... I'm not staying home. Or a one hour delay on a 738 out of any hub on the last flight of the day. Too much chance of an aircraft substitution. Or just knowing that it could take an hour on a bad day to clear security at LGA. And, if its really going south and I absolutely need to be there, I can grab a flight to Cincinnati or Cleveland and drive to Columbus.

Not necessarily blaming the OP but common sense says get to LaGuardia early.
This. It doesn't require a PhD in Aviation Operations. Common sense says that place and time isn't the place to gamble, assuming you really need to get on a flight.

Instead of the airlines making such notifications more explicit so that non-veteran travelers better understand the situation, your solution is to fly private?
I won't argue with that. If there are delay notifications that don't include the caveat that the airline is continuing to work to shorten/eliminate the delay, they should be added. I don't pay close attention...not sure how well or poorly they are currently doing with this. We have some examples where they *do* notify the passenger that they should be present at original departure time, and my guess is they probably have places where they don't.

Originally Posted by yosandr
why should it be the customers’ responsibility to figure out what “type” of delay it is?! That makes no sense
I'd say it's less about trying to figure out the specific type of delay and more about assessing for yourself what the likelihood of the flight is - does it have a chance to become a lesser delay, greater delay, cancellation, etc.? I usually do two things: (1) if it's a busy airport, I look to see if the whole airport is congested and (2) if I'm at an outstation, I look to see if my incoming flight is in the air. I work in NYC once every two months, flying out of LGA usually on a 3PM(ish) flight. By late morning, you can often tell by looking at the board if it's going to be a circus that afternoon. I still go out there right after lunch and just find a spot to work, but at least I'm mentally prepared for it. There's just one nonstop flight for me too, so there isn't much I can do about it...other than to be there early and be prepared for whatever happens.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I assume you're referring to Small Claims Court, not Special Monthly Compensation for Veterans?
I suggested the former in post 48 four days ago...
Because that'll be effective.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:23 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by BobRoss
However, they should've been more clear that the flight can and will be rescheduled at will. A "Delay" is not a permanent flight schedule change. A nuanced view, of course, but one that is apparent to frequent fliers and not at all to infrequent ones. Given that an astonishing 87% of AA customers in 2014 only flew the airline once (https://qz.com/533501/half-of-americ...its-customers/), AA (and other airlines) could do a lot better in clarifying the messaging. A first-time flier doesn't know that a delay is not a permanent schedule change; they err'd in not being super clear about this. It wouldn't even be hard - "Your flight is delayed until 6PM; however we endeavor to make up the time, so be at your gate at the original time" is super easy to communicate.
Again, what is the point then of such a message? If we are all expected to adhere to the original schedule time, there is little, if any, value to creating apps and notifications, calls, etc. telling us of a "maybe delay." This is nuts!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Again, what is the point then of such a message? If we are all expected to adhere to the original schedule time, there is little, if any, value to creating apps and notifications, calls, etc. telling us of a "maybe delay." This is nuts!
Agreed. It's pretty silly. But what else can you do? Keep the plane delayed even though the delay was removed? Airlines are damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BobRoss

Well, for the large majority of passengers, who assume that "You're flight is delayed" means it is delayed, the message helps ensure that they don't miss their flight due to their understandable assumption that the plane will leave no earlier than the new, delayed time. (I have to admit that, even after years of flying, I almost missed a flight the first time I received a notice that my flight was delayed - only for it to end up leaving at the originally scheduled time.)

For the more experienced passengers, it helps them consider alternative plans or to try to ascertain the cause of the delay by calling the airline or checking a flight tracker app (such as to find out whether the incoming plane for the outbound flight has even taken off yet), to determine how definite the delay is and whether they want to plan accordingly - such departing for the airport later than planned.

We here at FT sometimes incorrectly assume that the members of the general public know as much about flying as we do; we sometimes hold them responsible when they act on their lack of knowledge. Assuming that they know that a delay is not necessarily a delay is one example of that.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
We here at FT sometimes incorrectly assume that the members of the general public know as much about flying as we do; we sometimes hold them responsible when they act on their lack of knowledge. Assuming that they know that a delay is not necessarily a delay is one example of that.
But airlines, taking this fact into account, have historically been reasonable and *not* held the passenger as responsible as they theoretically could in these cases. Your flight gets delayed, then undelayed, and you show up late - they tend to rebook you, free of charge. They don't tell you your ticket now has $0 value and to buy a new one. They give you something akin to the "flat tire" courtesy...at least AA did for the OP in this case. (OP simply didn't like when the next flight was.)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
As I said earlier, most of it is to discourage you from bothering the GAs and airline employees when there should be a plane at your scheduled gate and there is only empty space.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Recently waiting on a connecting flight from PHL to SAN the GA informed passengers that the inbound flight from BOS had not yet departed Logan and the delay would be three hours. About 15 minutes later we were informed that the aircraft from an incoming flight from Aruba would be substituted and revised the new departure time to within 45 minutes of the original departure time. The App was never updated. Could have ended badly if I had left the gate area and relied on the App.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.