Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Offshore171

I guess the context is important. The notification was for a relatively small change in the ETD in an extremely fluid environment.

The NE USA is in the throes of an epic winter storm, and many flights are shifting around.

In in that context it was definitely a massive gamble to delay heading to the airport, thereby robbing oneself of any contingency.

If AA was not planning to stick to that which it informed the passenger, it should not have told the passenger

Regardless, I cannot see AA paying $800 to reimburse the passenger for the flight purchased on Delta and would not be confident that BA will refund the miles paid for the flight

I know that AA screws passengers around in this manner and wouldn't trust such information if I received it, however I can fully understand why other people would assume that the information could be relied upon

If the OP was misleading in that the passenger looked and saw a delay listed rather than AA actually notifying the passenger, then I would agree that it is the passenger's fault
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:38 am

Another poster above suggested that the pulled-in notification went out at 4:55pm, advising that the delay had been recovered. If that’s the case then AA is looking ok.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:38 am

I don't see that an update 1 hr before the new departure time is ok at all - that gives people 15 minutes to get to airport and get luggage checked in
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: LH HON
He should have been at the airport on time for his original departure in the first place.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
He should have been at the airport on time for his original departure in the first place.
There I disagree - he had been notified by the airline that the flight was delayed - as such he should be there in time for the time as notified ( same as would expect elsewhere in the world ) - if no notification of a delay was given, then indeed should be there for the scheduled departure time
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: LH HON
A delayed flight does not automatically impose new cut off times for check-in, gate closure and what not. Only if there is a re-schedule of the flight time. It might be different on other airlines tho. Interpretation is one thing, but one shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work out.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There I disagree - he had been notified by the airline that the flight was delayed - as such he should be there in time for the time as notified ( same as would expect elsewhere in the world ) - if no notification of a delay was given, then indeed should be there for the scheduled departure time
Not sure I agree with your position, but assuming I do what should AA have done? AA did offer to rebook OP on the next available flight, but it turns out OP had to be in CMH the very next morning. Should AA have held the flight for (what it sounds like) two people who decided a posted 30-min delay, followed by another 30-min posted delay (which was ultimately rescinded), meant that they could show up 1hr later to the airport—the result being a potential time-out by the crew, loss of takeoff slot, and inconvenience to everyone else on the flight?

I am somewhat sympathetic to the OP's situation but don't really see what AA reasonably should have done differently. Showing up 1hr before a flight departs under normal circumstances is risky (and under the recommended 1hr 30min, especially with checked luggage). When there are IRROPs, showing up 1hr before a flight is scheduled to depart seems downright irresponsible and asking for trouble.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:47 am

Once the airline had notified passengers of the later departure time, it should have stuck to the new later departure time - that is all it should have done

Telling the passenger that the flight will be 1 hour late and then going "just kidding, we didn't mean it" is not the way to do it

Anyone who then turned up late for the new time should then be treated as no shows

I do not class offering to rebook the passengers on a flight 2 days later as getting them on the next available flight

If the passenger wasn't actually notified , but was just looking up flight statuses on places such as airport website, that is different
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
The app is regularly incorrect as quite a few people mentioned, on my flight last week CLT-DTW the app showed us departing at 2:15 and arriving in DTW at 5:20, pretty sure anyone with a brain knows that it does not take 3 hours to fly 490 miles. I always check the incoming flight info, etc. and if the gate is close to the AC I usually take a quick walk over to make sure the delay is in fact a delay especially if the incoming flight shows as landing ontime or close to it.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I do not class offering to rebook the passengers on a flight 2 days later as getting them on the next available flight
Given everything happening on the east coast, which is especially affecting NYC and BOS, I can very well believe that the next available flight would be on Friday afternoon.

Personally, whether right or wrong, I think it's unrealistic to say that AA must stick to an estimated delayed departure time when it can get the flight out on-time, especially at a heavily congested airport like LGA right before a massive storm. There is no indication that AA did not try its best to re-accommodate the OP. AA cannot be responsible for the fact that OP had to be on that particular flight to CMH because of a medical appointment the next morning.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Personally, whether right or wrong, I think it's unrealistic to say that AA must stick to an estimated delayed departure time when it can get the flight out on-time, especially at a heavily congested airport like LGA right before a massive storm. There is no indication that AA did not try its best to re-accommodate the OP. AA cannot be responsible for the fact that OP had to be on that particular flight to CMH because of a medical appointment the next morning.
It may not be responsible for the medical appointment, but it should be accountable where people act based on information which it gives to them ; unfortunately I don't think that it will accept responsibility for its actions and the passenger will just have to pay the $750

Fortunately, airlines that I tend to travel on , do not send notification of a delay and then change their minds

I know that this is how AA works and would act accordingly if I got a notification from AA, but I think it is a very poor approach and is on par , quality wise, with it pretending flights are going to be on time when they are not
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
You have an important flight for an important event, you get to the airport early unless you are 100% sure you don't need to be. A little common sense prevents big problems.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Some of the replies in this thread are utterly absurd. What's the point of delay notifications if people are supposed to ignore them and get to the airport at the same time?
Years ago I was booked on a SFO-IAD flight that was postponed because the inbound plane broke down. GA's made numerous announcements about passengers staying in the gate area and not relying on the display boards for accurate information. Sure enough, a plane was found and we boarded after the original departure time but before the revised departure. Unless you are a first time flyer, one should know this.

Last year I arrived at the airport to find that my original 9am departure had been cancelled, and I was put on a later flight. Because I always plan to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours - usually 3 - ahead of time, I was able to have the CSR change me to a 7:30 departure.

You wait until the last minute to arrive at the airport, this is what happens.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:08 am

If AA was not planning to stick to that which it informed the passenger, it should not have told the passenger...
AA presumably notified the passenger that the flight was delayed, but that the departure time could change again (as that's AA's standard notice). AA stuck to that.

Once an airline believes there will be a delay, people will be upset no matter what. Not keeping them posted will upset some. Not taking off on time will upset some. Rescinding the delay will upset some. If I'm at an airport and they could have taken off on time, I wouldn't be happy. If I wait to go to the airport and they take off on time, I wouldn't be happy.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Unrelated to the AA App is getting to LGA, at times it is a gamble [airport construction causing road delays] cutting it so close is imprudent.
[It is not unheard of for pax to abandon their taxis and walk on the highway [Grand Central Parkway] to get to LGA.]
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Not sure I agree with your position, but assuming I do what should AA have done? AA did offer to rebook OP on the next available flight, but it turns out OP had to be in CMH the very next morning. Should AA have held the flight for (what it sounds like) two people who decided a posted 30-min delay, followed by another 30-min posted delay (which was ultimately rescinded), meant that they could show up 1hr later to the airport—the result being a potential time-out by the crew, loss of takeoff slot, and inconvenience to everyone else on the flight?

I am somewhat sympathetic to the OP's situation but don't really see what AA reasonably should have done differently. Showing up 1hr before a flight departs under normal circumstances is risky (and under the recommended 1hr 30min, especially with checked luggage). When there are IRROPs, showing up 1hr before a flight is scheduled to depart seems downright irresponsible and asking for trouble.
Doesn’t TSA technically still recommend getting there 2 hours prior?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.