Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed my flight due to misinformation on AA app and Text alerts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
As usual, those posting that this is "self inflicted" are in the wrong. Once AA alerts fliers that a flight is delayed, fliers often delay getting to the airport, go to the restaurant, do errands, etc. If AA then undelays the flight and takes off, passengers are left behind. If AA is pushing delay notifications and showing updated boarding times on mobile boarding passes, it isn't delaying flights, it is rescheduling them.

If AA is uncertain, it is better off not pushing out delay notitications until the normal boarding time. That way, passengers won't delay getting to the gate. The advice that "it is always better to go to the gate" is negated when the airline is actively telling you that you have a new boarding time.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: LH HON
Because sometimes there is a replacement aircraft, a crew on standby or who else knows and the flight can leave on time (or with less delay than anticipated), much to the satisfaction of us paying customers. If it's your take to get to the airport later because of a delay announcement - fair enough. Just don't complain afterwards.
Lost likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ckx2
Because sometimes there is a replacement aircraft, a crew on standby or who else knows and the flight can leave on time (or with less delay than anticipated), much to the satisfaction of us paying customers. If it's your take to get to the airport later because of a delay announcement - fair enough. Just don't complain afterwards.
If the policy really is that no one should get to the airport late in the case of a delay, then there is an obvious solution: don't notify customers about a delay until after the original departure time.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Unrelated to the AA App is getting to LGA, at times it is a gamble [airport construction causing road delays] cutting it so close is imprudent.
[It is not unheard of for pax to abandon their taxis and walk on the highway [Grand Central Parkway] to get to LGA.]
plus wasn’t there like a foot of snow in NYC today?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
If the policy really is that no one should get to the airport late in the case of a delay, then there is an obvious solution: don't notify customers about a delay until after the original departure time.
​​​​​​​This would rather increase the unpleasant gate lice information and people questioning the gate agents about when boarding is about to happen. Would that be better? I don't think so.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Some of the replies in this thread are utterly absurd. What's the point of delay notifications if people are supposed to ignore them and get to the airport at the same time?
chrisny2, justforfun and Adelphos like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Because passengers get annoyed and complain if you don't tell them either.

What a number of other airlines do (and what AA should do) for minor delays is provide you the update in the App but make very clear that the delay may be reduced and you should still get to the airport for the original check-in/gate closure times. That way the passenger knows that if they want to arrive late, they do so at their own risk. Only if the airline is sure that the delay will go beyond a certain time do they send out an update saying arrive later and check-in is extended.
This is the best solution, but it may be another 20 years before something like this is implemented
* On Time
* Awaiting takeoff window possible delay 30 minutes (Keep original time on boarding pass and don't print the delayed time)
* Delayed 60 minutes (Print delayed time on boarding pass)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
And if you have a tight connection? Surprise we didn't tell you about the delay so everyone would show up at the airport, but now you have no options.

Not to mention that at some airports, i.e. LAX, knowing there is a delay can be the difference between just making an earlier flight (i.e. going right to the gate of the earlier flight) and actually sitting around for an extra few hours.

If the information is wrong that's one thing, if it's just dynamic and changing that's another.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Some of the replies in this thread are utterly absurd. What's the point of delay notifications if people are supposed to ignore them and get to the airport at the same time?
To make arrangements? To get on an earlier flight? To get re-routed?
Most of the time a flight is announced with a delay, it's unlikely to be pushed back on time - but it can happen. Still doesn't mean you can simply show up to the airport later because of your convenience.
TSparky likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Why publish a delay in a case like this then? If there is no benefit to any pax (such as leaving home later, staying in the lounge longer) then why 2 hours before would you publish it at all?
One benefit to letting people know about a possible or likely delay ahead of time is that they may be able to make alternative plans, particularly if they have a connection or other reason to try to arrive on time.

Christmas Eve I was planning to fly home in time for dinner with family. Up until 10 minutes before departure, the screens, app, and AAgents were saying the flight was on time, despite the fact that we hadn't started boarding. 8 minutes before departure they announce the plane is still at the gate at an airport a 90 minute flight away. Unless they were counting on a Christmas miracle, AA ops knew well before 10 minutes prior to departure that the flight was not on time. But they waited until the last minute to tell the passengers, by which time it was too late to make any alternative plans and sticking us with a three hour delay. Had they told us a bit earlier, there were other options to still get in around the originally scheduled time.
pinniped likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:26 pm
Suspended

I dont have enough fingers and toes to count the # of times my flight was delayed by at least an hour, and ended up leaving on time. Either they found a part they needed, found a work around, used a plane that wasnt full going elsewhere instead, etc etc

yea it stinks when it actually departs at the new later time and I sit around wasting my time, but 1- Id rather be informed 2- I dont want to go thru what the OP did

OP made some major mistakes besides not arriving as if it wasnt delayed. 1m is never do anything on your own that you dont want to end up coming out of your own pocket. to avoid that a person must get the carrier to put in the PNR what ever alternative plans was agreed to , if none were then assume its all on your own dime when I think I might end up holding teh bag , I look for every possible work around, so Id ask AA which carriers do you still work with and whats the closest airport you can get me into, I might have to spring for a 1 way rental car but it should cost alot less then a tkt would especially x2

Even thou I will get there as if there wasnt a delay,I still want the alerts so I can have backup plans should the flight be CXed or an extensive delay
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wind direction changes, another aircraft goes MX opening a slot, or whatever. No sane carrier is going to hold the aircraft for an hour. It just doesn't work that way. You want US commercial aviation to change that, best of luck.

I would much prefer to see the dynamic changes in schedule and make my own informed judgments rather than have them made for me by a carrier which is worried that it will be vilified because ATC found a slot for it so it need not take a delay.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
This has happened to me several times as well. It shouldn't be this way though. The app and the monitors should show the proper time as they know it and if they do decide to board early they should update the app and monitors ASAP to let people know they have made this decision.
I have actually had this happen, and I missed the flight. I was already in the airport dining at a restaurant, the flight said delayed so I waited to go to the gate. Got there and the flight had departed. Luckily this was at CLT and was a day time flight so was rebooked for the next flight an hour later.

sorry that this happened to you

MB
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I have also delayed going to the airport after getting a message from AA
However, in reviewing my latest email about a delay, it does say "Please note that times and locations are subject to change."
Given that, I think it is fair to assume you need to be at the airport a the original time to be protected if the flight leaves early, especially if you have something important scheduled
flyalways likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:37 pm

Notifications of small changes to the estimated departure time are more useful for those already at the airport. It’s to stop the hordes of gate lice constantly pestering the gate staff.

I certainly wouldn’t delay heading to the airport based on a 20-60 minute change in the estimate. As noted, these can and do pull in. If anything given the current extreme conditions in the region of travel, I’d be giving myself more contingency, not less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.