AA Twitter team quality decline?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 23, 18, 12:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Twitter Team Kudos and Customer Experience

Please share your customer experiences with @AmericanAir, the AA Twitter team, here.

For further information on using the AA Twitter team, please see Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 27, 17, 8:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Posts: 1,217
Arrow AA Twitter Team: Kudos, Customer Experience

So, bit of a mileage (or really EQD) run yesterday and today. Hasn't been the smoothest travel experience:

ORD-DFW delayed about 90mins on Saturday almost causing a misconnect to the 787-9 flight that I scored a UDU on

Awful LAX arrival experience (got Gate 344 + shuttle to T4)

Delayed out of LAX on AA1088, broken seat + arrival delay due to weather + sketchy Panasonic Wi-Fi

Delayed departure out of Miami due to crew / no PDB'S despite plenty of time and empty aisle

Sent Tweets out to AA and they came through:

- blocked back-up for the delayed DFW-LAX leg and protected my upgrade on the new flight (but wasn't needed)

- kept in touch once I DM'd the delay

- when I tweeted about the issues on 1088 asked for DM with details

- when I included details about the MIA-ORD issues, they asked for details, apologized and gave me 5K miles.

The best part (to me) was they followed up, thanked me and even referenced travel coming up in the next 10 days.

Now, I get my issues are nowhere near what friends and colleagues are facing in Houston. I am just putting it it there that they actually tried to help and appeared to care.

Last edited by ORDPLATAA; Aug 29, 17 at 1:53 pm
ORDPLATAA is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:06 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,351
the one time I tried tweeting a DM to AA I got absolutely ZERO response or answer.
LovePrunes is online now  
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:26 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Posts: 6,411
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
the one time I tried tweeting a DM to AA I got absolutely ZERO response or answer.
I'm in the same boat. Whenever I try to use Twitter to contact an airline, hotel, rent-car company, etc, I never get a reply.

Can someone outline exactly how to Twitter the AA folks, in simple steps so that us Non-Tweeters can understand it?
CloudCoder is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:39 am
  #4  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,817
Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
I'm in the same boat. Whenever I try to use Twitter to contact an airline, hotel, rent-car company, etc, I never get a reply.

Can someone outline exactly how to Twitter the AA folks, in simple steps so that us Non-Tweeters can understand it?
Please see Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd). The information you seek is in the Wikipost.
JonNYC likes this.
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:48 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DCA/IAD/WAS
Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Posts: 1,988
Never gotten any sort of consideration due to a complaint sent to them besides "we'll pass this along." They are fairly good with protecting and delays.
iadisgreat is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 1:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Here and there
Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Posts: 1,486
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
the one time I tried tweeting a DM to AA I got absolutely ZERO response or answer.
Strange, I've always had a very speedy response. Were you asking for something complicated or perhaps a free F ticket LAX-HKG?
deeruck is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 1:19 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Posts: 6,411
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Please see Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd). The information you seek is in the Wikipost.
Thanks, your link uncovered the secret. No wonder they never replied to my DM's. They never received them.
Originally Posted by wiki
Note: Getting assistance from Twitter for a specific reservation can be improved by communicating with them by using the DM / Direct Message (like PM here) system, where you can include your PNR and details privately - and your AAdvantage number and EP status so they can link it with your Twitter profile. This is easily done by sending them a tweet asking them "Please follow me for DM" so they can "follow" you and receive DMs from you.
CloudCoder is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 1:51 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Posts: 1,217
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA View Post
So, bit of a mileage (or really EQD) run yesterday and today. Hasn't been the smoothest travel experience:

ORD-DFW delayed about 90mins on Saturday almost causing a misconnect to the 787-9 flight that I scored a UDU on

Awful LAX arrival experience (got Gate 344 + shuttle to T4)

Delayed out of LAX on AA1088, broken seat + arrival delay due to weather + sketchy Panasonic Wi-Fi

Delayed departure out of Miami due to crew / no PDB'S despite plenty of time and empty aisle

Sent Tweets out to AA and they came through:

- blocked back-up for the delayed DFW-LAX leg and protected my upgrade on the new flight (but wasn't needed)

- kept in touch once I DM'd the delay

- when I tweeted about the issues on 1088 asked for DM with details

- when I included details about the MIA-ORD issues, they asked for details, apologized and have me 5K miles.

The best part (to me) was they followed up, thanked me and even referenced travel coming up in the next 10 days.

Now, I get my issues are nowhere near what friends and colleagues are facing in Houston. I am just putting it it there that they actually tried to help and appeared to care.
Sorry for all of the typos. Was using my phone versus laptop when I posted this.
ORDPLATAA is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 2:22 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Here and there
Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Posts: 1,486
Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
Thanks, your link uncovered the secret. No wonder they never replied to my DM's. They never received them.
Maybe that's the trick. I always sent them a regular tweet to note that I'd sent a DM. Not sure if that was necessary or not.
deeruck is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 2:47 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,971
I DM them anytime I need anything. I dont even have to include my PNR etc, they know who I am. It is usually done quicker than I can wait for an EXP agent to pickup the phone if calling. I am really afraid that the secret will get out and the service will decline but enjoying it while I can!!
mcgahat is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 3:41 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas City Metro | MCI
Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,275
I'm glad to hear you had a satisfactory outcome with the Twitter team. I found them to be quite useful a few years ago and certainly know I saved a lot of time not having to call in. Then maybe two years ago, it seemed to go to $#^!. Instead of being helpful, I'd just get canned responses either via reply or DM suggesting I call EXP instead.

I haven't used them in several months as my trAAvel has dropped off significantly since last June, so I hope they will be as good as they used to be the next time I do need them..
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 3:46 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,020
I want to second the OP...whenever I have a specific request or question (that I don't need the EXP line for), a polite, human DM to the AA Twitter team nearly always yields a speedy, helpful response. They do their jobs very well.

Also, and this goes for the phone agents, as well, pleases and thank you's and, in the event of major disruptions, a verbal acknowledgement that they are probably swamped and so you appreciate their help, goes a long way.
CloudCoder and AANYC1981 like this.
DMPHL is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 3:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Escondido, CA
Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Posts: 665
Twitter DM is my first line of communications with AA. It is helpful to explain very clearly what you are asking for and ask for help within the rules of the program. It also helps to verify their action on the website. If you do this the results will generally be better than that provided by a phone agent. There are some limitations, they can't take credit card information over Twitter for example.

Bottom line is that the AA Twitter team is very polite and responsive.
jfinsocal is offline  
Old Aug 29, 17, 9:17 pm
  #14  
869
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,588
Originally Posted by jfinsocal View Post
Twitter DM is my first line of communications with AA. It is helpful to explain very clearly what you are asking for and ask for help within the rules of the program. It also helps to verify their action on the website. If you do this the results will generally be better than that provided by a phone agent. There are some limitations, they can't take credit card information over Twitter for example.

Bottom line is that the AA Twitter team is very polite and responsive.
And they're the only reason why twitter can count me as user.
ORDPLATAA and AANYC1981 like this.
869 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 17, 4:31 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: Lots of faux metal
Posts: 5,341
Originally Posted by 869 View Post
And they're the only reason why twitter can count me as user.
Me too. I went from Gold to Platinum on a recent trip and needed AA to remove/add back my AA number to reflect my new status. The problem was I was sitting in the T5 BA lounge at LHR. DMed AA at 8:48am London time (2:48am Dallas) and they wrote back in 6 minutes!
skunker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: