Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines has eliminated direct contact with American Airlines Customer Relations other than using the e-form via aa.com or Phoenix "snail mail" address (link).

At the same time, AA has turned more toward social media for customer contact. The Twitter team seems to be empowered to handle a number of issues, though there are still some limitations. Securing PNRs for partner airlines or codeshares operated by AA, OSO / IROPS, misposting of Miles, etc. seem to be tasks they can do easily.

The latest iterations of the American Airlines app for iOS and Android have a Twitter contact function (2018).

Please feel free to edit or update / add to this wikipost as we learn more about the capabilities of the @AmericanAir Twitter team.

Link to YouTube video: #SocialBell: Tips for Social Engagement feat. American Airlines

Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ

Q. How do I use this channel of communication?

You must first sign up for a (free) Twitter account. When you do, Subscribe to the AA Twitter channel: @AmericanAir.

Note: Getting assistance from Twitter for a specific reservation can be improved by communicating with them by using the DM / Direct Message (like FT PM) system, where you can include your PNR and details privately - and your AAdvantage number and EP status so they can link it with your Twitter profile.

Any Twitter account can send @AmericanAir a direct message. In the past, AA had to be following you for you to send them a DM; this is no longer true.

Q. How can they help?
@AmericanAir can assist with OSO (Off-Schedule Operations - IROPS "IRROPS") when it might otherwise take a long time to get a response from the telephone desk employees. There are many things that @AmericanAir can do when time is of the essence; read posts below for more.

Q. Can I report service issues?
Certainly.

Q. Can I laud or compliment excellent service?
Certainly. The Twitter team will log these and for AA employees (including employees of wholly owned subsidiaries, but not contractor employees) and pass on compliments to supervisors, who will add them to the employee's personnel record.
As posted by samm, “They proactively associate AAdvantage profiles with twitter handles and maintain them, so they know who you are and where you're traveling as soon as you begin the conversation.”

Other possible uses include getting e-ticket numbers for Awards, PNRs for other airlines on your itinerary, seat changes, Award redeposit after cancellations, etc. Cimplicated reaccommodation issues and the like might be easier to handle with a telephone agent, but if there are massive OSO / IROPS, try the Twitter team; response is generally very fast.

Resources:
Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

AA Twitter Team Kudos and Customer Experience
Please share your customer experiences with @AmericanAir, the AA Twitter team, here.

For further information on using the AA Twitter team, please see Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
I, too, have noticed the decline. Much less proactive and they have told me to call the EXP desk rather than handling items that the "old" Twitter team would take care of right away. Unfortunate.
jay_dubya likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by zpaul
I, too, have noticed the decline. Much less proactive and they have told me to call the EXP desk rather than handling items that the "old" Twitter team would take care of right away. Unfortunate.
Same here
zpaul likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I thought it was just me......noticed the same thing. Lets hope this is temporary as it was so great to count on them before.
zpaul likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:20 pm

I did get a much better reply and an email from their web team, which I am guessing is due to them reading FT. Just wish it didn’t have to come to that.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: alaska
Was referred by them to the call center today. Issue was not resolved. Went back to Twitter and got no response.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I recently asked the Twitter team to help clear the domestic leg of a SWU'd international itinerary--the international leg had already cleared and I got an EF alert for C on the domestic leg. They managed to clear me but also deduct a second SWU in the process. They managed to reinstate the second SWU after I brought up their mistake.

Other than this, I haven't noticed any significant decline in the service quality of the Twitter team.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, they have. A number of reports here and elsewhere.

The most common examples I’ve observed:

Use of inapplicable boilerplate response

Referring you to reservations number (though they’re badly tied up)

Incorrect information

On the whole, they’re fairly decent, but quality has definitely deteriorated.
+100. They're still incredibly useful, but I've noticed the odd (and sometimes out-of-place) boilerplate responses popping up a little more often. As of now, though, they still come through when it counts.

Further reduction in quality of the twitter team would be an absolutely huge blow.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
This is the biggest blow.
zpaul likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Same thing, after waiting 4 hours for response to DM they tell me to call in with an issue they've done responded back in minutes before to me.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: QFF
They used to be really good, then the US merger happened...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Himeno
I don’t remember much of a Twitter team prior to the merger. June - July 2015 is when people began using Twitter for consumer issues, so going on 2.5 years now. Merger occurred in 2013.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 5, 2018 at 10:39 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:27 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I have thought it odd that the best way to get things done at AA was twitter. It really doesn't surprise me that AA's penchant for cost cutting finally took it's toll here especially as it became what I perceive as more popular and demanded more resources.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Himeno
They were very good till well after the merger. I started noticing the decline around August.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by knit-in
They were very good till well after the merger. I started noticing the decline around August.
Agreed. It was pretty stable after the merger until the end of 2017, IME.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by knit-in
Yep.
brewdog11 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.