Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has increased award availability at the SAAver / MileSAAver level, apparently at the cost of reducing the availability of nonstop and direct routing and increasing availability requiring connections using married segment logic.

This means those originating travel at one hub may well find themselves forced to connect through another hub - whose residents will also be required to connect through another hub. This is suspected to be a way of accommodating SAAver awards without competing with those purchasing more convenient nonstop routing. See post #17 by ashill.

Gary Leff: “Cranky Flier got American to confirm last week that much of the space they’ve opened up is on connecting flights. They’re offering married segment availability — award space that’s highly restrictive...”

See American Significantly Increases Coach Award Space On Connecting Flights, By Cranky Flier on Dec 21, 2017

How to Game American’s New Connecting Flight Award Availability to Get the Ticket You Want, by Gary Leff on December 26, 2017 but see post #75 by Psyclone*Jack; this loophole may now be closed.
Married Segment Logic and Effects on Awards

"When selling seats for through flights and the desired inventory is not available, you cannot opt to sell the flight point-to-point. If sold point-to-point, the error response MULTIPLE SEGMENTS FOR SAME FLIGHT - SELL AS ONE SEGMENT will be received, indicating this booking is not allowed. Overriding the error check by ending the PNR twice is not acceptable." Link to FT thread; see wikipost info by JonNYC and hillrider.

"Sometimes when you’re searching for award space... you’ll find that some seats will show as available when you search for them from origin to destination, but when you call to book the flights segment-by-segment, those flights show as unavailable."

"Married segment logic is a tool used by airlines that restricts availability based on origin and destination, rather than by segments."(DCTA, on Boarding Area)

Married segment logic controls routings based on origin and destination, rather than segment-by-segment availability. Boarding Area
Link to Boarding Area: Sunday Reader Question: What are married segments?

From Amadeus: Married Segment Control Link

Amadeus Married Segment Control is a revenue maximisation tool that ensures that airline revenue management decisions, made at availability time, are applied throughout the booking process. It prevents agents bypassing availability controls, based on origin and destination (O&D) information. It also improves both load factors and revenue forecasting accuracy.

Key benefits
  • Ensures more effective forecasting by preventing O&D misuse and matching revenue forecasts with final revenues.
  • Improves consistency of sales processes by controlling travel agent selling behaviour.
  • Fully customisable and flexible solution that meets airline unique system requirements.
Link to Worldspan page with extensive information on MSL and coding.

Older posts have been archived off to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nnections.html
Print Wikipost

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by beachfan
Are you saying they weren't really married segments or that somehow you got an exception from the phone agent?

And this was a new booking or an existing non-saver booking?
Absolutely got an exception. I called and asked (in a polite tone of course) in a manner as if I had no idea of what married segments mean. She says hold on I need to re-ticket the entire itinerary.

This was a business saver one way award. Lhr-phl was already confirmed in saver J but only saver coach was available at the time of booking. I set an EF alert and it popped up yesterday that the saver J opened for the phl -dfw leg.

This was an existing saver J booking.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I thought that if you held Saver J on a connecting married segment itinerary, say A-B-C, and you wanted to change one segment, say B-C, you only needed the new B-C available via married segments, and that A-B didn't need to still available on a married basis. But I certainly not sure, Dave Noble might know.

If that's the case, I'm not sure it's an exception, as opposed to an uniformed twitter agent.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Twitter response:

“Hello! It's a married connection, so we have to rebook LHR-PHL as well. Unfortunately, it's not available to rebook on that segment, so we're unable to change it”
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Married segment logic on websaver awards

There have been numerous complaints on business-class award seats not being available on a particular segment depending on routing, e.g. LAX-AKL not available, but DEN-LAX-AKL available.

So I was looking at award travel for some gulf coast destinations (MOB, PNS, etc) from DFW as well as from COS and DEN connecting through DFW. All of the connecting flights show websaver awards from 10 to 12K RT, while if starting in DFW flying the same legs to and from the destination the award at best is a websaver of 20K+ RT.

Married segment logic on paid tickets makes sense, but for award redemption those reasons don't hold up. My guess is the AA thought process is to provide better availability when originating where AA has competition, i.e. make the program have more perceived value to those who have a choice.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is a whole thread on married segment availability and award bookings are no different in their application than other bookings
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mwk190

Married segment logic on paid tickets makes sense, but for award redemption those reasons don't hold up. My guess is the AA thought process is to provide better availability when originating where AA has competition, i.e. make the program have more perceived value to those who have a choice.
Why doesn't the logic hold up for awards? People often compare revenue fares vs. award miles when deciding which to use and it seems perfectly logical if they are charging more for the revenue fares on non-stop's vs. connecting flights out of hostage hubs that they would also charge more for the awards. As a DL flyer out of DTW, I see the same thing on their awards on the non-stop's out of DTW and other DL hostage hubs. Have done hidden city once in awhile on the return award tickets to get better deals.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:42 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is a whole thread on married segment availability and award bookings are no different in their application than other bookings
And now merged...

/Moderator
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
Twitter response:

“Hello! It's a married connection, so we have to rebook LHR-PHL as well. Unfortunately, it's not available to rebook on that segment, so we're unable to change it”
I think that is incorrect.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
5k web special hidden city

will AA do anything to me if i book a one way domestic 3-leg 5k award and not fly the last segment ?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
will AA do anything to me if i book a one way domestic 3-leg 5k award and not fly the last segment ?
No, nothing will happen, with the usual caveats: don't check bags or make a habit of it.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:01 pm

Pretty sure I am experiencing married segment issues for the first time.

Trying to do MSP-SCL. Seeing a lot of "saver" availability with garbage connections and layovers like MSP-PHL(overnight)-MIA-SCL. When I try to search just MIA-SCL...insane prices. Any work around like finding a different way to MIA then hopping on there? Can anyone report if calling in to drop segments still works?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by thrillhouse763
Pretty sure I am experiencing married segment issues for the first time.

Trying to do MSP-SCL. Seeing a lot of "saver" availability with garbage connections and layovers like MSP-PHL(overnight)-MIA-SCL. When I try to search just MIA-SCL...insane prices. Any work around like finding a different way to MIA then hopping on there? Can anyone report if calling in to drop segments still works?
No, if you book MSP-XXX-MIA-SCL and don't take the MSP-XXX flight then everything else will be cancelled like always. And calling to drop a segment while it's on hold doesn't work anymore either. YMMV whether you can drop any segments after it's been ticketed.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by thrillhouse763
Can anyone report if calling in to drop segments still works?
I was able to do this today. I wanted to do a trip into either FAI or ANC, and fly back from whichever I didn't fly into. (Doing day trips while in Alaska - and it doesn't matter which direction I go).
A few weeks ago I was able to book (U) RIC-ORD-ANC-FAI outbound, and (U) ANC-FAI-ORD-RIC on the way back.
Today I decided to call and see if I can drop the final segment of each leg to eliminate the extra flights, which reverses my intra-Alaska travel. There was no (U) space for the 'new' itinerary, but the EXP agent had no issues doing it. It took about 10 mins.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Absurd AAdvantage Routing

Couldn’t figure out the right thread to stick this in. Mods - please move as appropriate.

Looking for LAX-SYD in January. Found numerous routings from SNA/LGB/ONT-PHX-LAX-SYD. 😳 What’s the point of flying to and from PHX?

Old Nov 12, 2020, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Couldn’t figure out the right thread to stick this in. Mods - please move as appropriate.

Looking for LAX-SYD in January. Found numerous routings from SNA/LGB/ONT-PHX-LAX-SYD. 😳 What’s the point of flying to and from PHX?

The topic of the thread to which your post was moved, gives you a hint to the reason for the 'detour'

Besides that, your observation is one of many fascinations and different opinions in frequent flying.

When you qualify for elite status, you cheer over more miles, flights & segments, whereas when redeeming those miles, extra segments and flights might not be that popular.

The PHX connection is the easiest way to fly LGB-LAX. Just as has been the suggestion for transfer between the two largest airports in London, LHR and LGW, namely flights via AMS
HofstraJet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.