Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has increased award availability at the SAAver / MileSAAver level, apparently at the cost of reducing the availability of nonstop and direct routing and increasing availability requiring connections using married segment logic.

This means those originating travel at one hub may well find themselves forced to connect through another hub - whose residents will also be required to connect through another hub. This is suspected to be a way of accommodating SAAver awards without competing with those purchasing more convenient nonstop routing. See post #17 by ashill.

Gary Leff: “Cranky Flier got American to confirm last week that much of the space they’ve opened up is on connecting flights. They’re offering married segment availability — award space that’s highly restrictive...”

See American Significantly Increases Coach Award Space On Connecting Flights, By Cranky Flier on Dec 21, 2017

How to Game American’s New Connecting Flight Award Availability to Get the Ticket You Want, by Gary Leff on December 26, 2017 but see post #75 by Psyclone*Jack; this loophole may now be closed.
Married Segment Logic and Effects on Awards

"When selling seats for through flights and the desired inventory is not available, you cannot opt to sell the flight point-to-point. If sold point-to-point, the error response MULTIPLE SEGMENTS FOR SAME FLIGHT - SELL AS ONE SEGMENT will be received, indicating this booking is not allowed. Overriding the error check by ending the PNR twice is not acceptable." Link to FT thread; see wikipost info by JonNYC and hillrider.

"Sometimes when you’re searching for award space... you’ll find that some seats will show as available when you search for them from origin to destination, but when you call to book the flights segment-by-segment, those flights show as unavailable."

"Married segment logic is a tool used by airlines that restricts availability based on origin and destination, rather than by segments."(DCTA, on Boarding Area)

Married segment logic controls routings based on origin and destination, rather than segment-by-segment availability. Boarding Area
Link to Boarding Area: Sunday Reader Question: What are married segments?

From Amadeus: Married Segment Control Link

Amadeus Married Segment Control is a revenue maximisation tool that ensures that airline revenue management decisions, made at availability time, are applied throughout the booking process. It prevents agents bypassing availability controls, based on origin and destination (O&D) information. It also improves both load factors and revenue forecasting accuracy.

Key benefits
  • Ensures more effective forecasting by preventing O&D misuse and matching revenue forecasts with final revenues.
  • Improves consistency of sales processes by controlling travel agent selling behaviour.
  • Fully customisable and flexible solution that meets airline unique system requirements.
Link to Worldspan page with extensive information on MSL and coding.

Older posts have been archived off to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nnections.html
Print Wikipost

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:21 pm

Help?

I am trying to book VCE-PHL-ATL. Both legs have saver availability individually, but become everyday when together.

I put the VCE-PHL on hold and called in to add the PHL-ATL leg. The agent said he couldn't see the availability for that leg on his screen, but I could certainly see it.

I can even book the itinerary on BA, but BA charges 32500 + $200+

Anyone has any suggestions? TIA.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Deallover
I am trying to book VCE-PHL-ATL. Both legs have saver availability individually, but become everyday when together.

I put the VCE-PHL on hold and called in to add the PHL-ATL leg. The agent said he couldn't see the availability for that leg on his screen, but I could certainly see it.

I can even book the itinerary on BA, but BA charges 32500 + $200+

Anyone has any suggestions? TIA.
Use the AA miles for VCE-PHL, and 7,500 BA Avios for PHL-ATL. (Or check the price of an AA cash ticket for PHL-ATL.)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Use the AA miles for VCE-PHL, and 7,500 BA Avios for PHL-ATL. (Or check the price of an AA cash ticket for PHL-ATL.)
Thanks for the advice.

What about checked baggage? Or, can aa piece the two tickets together?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Or buy the VCE leg and then call and have them add the domestic leg for no additional miles. Had them do this recently, but not sure if EXP status mattered.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Or buy the VCE leg and then call and have them add the domestic leg for no additional miles. Had them do this recently, but not sure if EXP status mattered.
After an award ticket is purchased, changing the award's destination will incur a $150 fee -- unless one has EXP status. And unless there is married-segment availability for VCE-PHL-ATL, an AA agent will not be able to tack on the PHL-ATL segment to the same award.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I guess I'm in this boat now too. I'm looking for SJU-BOS, which of course is only available as a connection. Eventually booked a 25k point award via CLT, which turned out to be all in U (first/business), except I have seats in coach SJU-CLT, and CLT-BOS is in first. I've now been poking around on Expert Flyer, and I see that they have the coach saaver awards in T available SJU-CLT and also CLT-BOS, but NOT available for those same flights SJU-CLT. Sounds like the married segment nonsense.

So I guess I have a few questions and am wondering what I should be doing here:

1. My flights are many months out. I'm sure there will be a schedule change somewhere in there. In people's experience will I then be able to have them switch me to a routing that's all in the first cabin (since it seems both segments are booked in U)?

2. If I monitor Expert Flyer for availability in U for my SJU-CLT segment, will I then be able to call and have my seats switched, or will I get stuck with this married segment thing?

3. Is there any way to set up alerts for award availability for married segments on AA? It doesn't seem like Expert Flyer can do it.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Deallover
Thanks for the advice.

What about checked baggage? Or, can aa piece the two tickets together?
You have to gather and recheck bags in PHL anyhow, so in your case there's no real downside to having 2 tickets. Other than having to pay extra miles because of married segments.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
You have to gather and recheck bags in PHL anyhow, so in your case there's no real downside to having 2 tickets. Other than having to pay extra miles because of married segments.
Plus a checked-baggage fee on the PHL-ATL flight -- unless one has oneworld elite status (or holds a qualifying AA credit card).
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:25 am

Married segment restrictions on partner awards (BA)

It seems that AA is applying married segment restrictions on awards with some partners, specifically BA.
I had an award last month MAD-LHR-KEF and wanted to change to an earlier MAD-LHR flight which was available on its own. But because LHR-KEF was no longer available, I was told that I could not change the MAD-LHR segment.
Now looking for a VLC-LHR-ARN flight later this year: VLC-LHR and LHR-ARN are available individually, but VLC-LHR-ARN is not.
Very annoying!
Not sure if they are doing this with any other partners, or only BA at the moment.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NDFan
It seems that AA is applying married segment restrictions on awards with some partners, specifically BA.
I had an award last month MAD-LHR-KEF and wanted to change to an earlier MAD-LHR flight which was available on its own. But because LHR-KEF was no longer available, I was told that I could not change the MAD-LHR segment.
Now looking for a VLC-LHR-ARN flight later this year: VLC-LHR and LHR-ARN are available individually, but VLC-LHR-ARN is not.
Very annoying!
Not sure if they are doing this with any other partners, or only BA at the moment.
Partner availability will be down to what the partner is doing
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:17 am

Plus a checked-baggage fee on the PHL-ATL flight -- unless one has oneworld elite status (or holds a qualifying AA credit card).
Thank you, guv1976, platbrownguy, and HofstraJet, for your help.

I am booking for a girl traveling solo. I think she is willing to pay additional Avois and baggage fee than stay overnight in an airport hotel.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yet another nutty example thanks to AA:

20k/30k miles for a sub-600 mile flight to ORD, but for 0-10k miles more, AA will toss in ORD-Continental Europe flights on top of the short haul to ORD.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Having a qualifying AA credit card for some AA baggage fee waiver may provide a baggage fee waiver sometimes but not always for AA flights.

I have seen AA passengers with some such AA credit cards have to pay AA baggage fees because the baggage fee waiver wasn’t applicable because of how and/or when the ticket for the AA flights was booked.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Having a qualifying AA credit card for some AA baggage fee waiver may provide a baggage fee waiver sometimes but not always for AA flights.

I have seen AA passengers with some such AA credit cards have to pay AA baggage fees because the baggage fee waiver wasn’t applicable because of how and/or when the ticket for the AA flights was booked.
Yes, that's true. I think that the associated AAdvantage number has to be in the PNR at least a certain number of days before flight departure in order for the baggage-fee waiver to kick in. And there are reports indicating that AA won't change the FFN from BA to AA for credit-card holders who book a domestic AA flight with Avios. YMMV.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Dumbest married segment ever

This might be the dumbest married segment itinerary ever. I was searching for an award NYC-RIC. Obviously I would like the nonstop but on the date I'm looking none of the nonstop flights were available for MilesAAver. Since I did not like the connecting options, I tried searching for NYC-PHF, since PHF is only about an hour from RIC and closer to my destination anyway. For whatever reason AA has lots of MilesAAver inventory to PHF. Out of sheer curiosity I clicked through to page 2 of the results where AA helpfully proposed the following option:

<broken image link removed by moderator>

So AA will not sell me LGA-RIC for anything less than 30K, but they will happily sell me LGA-RIC for 12.5K if I am wiling to subsequently fly two additional segments totaling six hours to get to a destination 60 miles away.

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 11, 2019 at 9:38 am Reason: Broken image link removed by moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.