Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has increased award availability at the SAAver / MileSAAver level, apparently at the cost of reducing the availability of nonstop and direct routing and increasing availability requiring connections using married segment logic.

This means those originating travel at one hub may well find themselves forced to connect through another hub - whose residents will also be required to connect through another hub. This is suspected to be a way of accommodating SAAver awards without competing with those purchasing more convenient nonstop routing. See post #17 by ashill.

Gary Leff: “Cranky Flier got American to confirm last week that much of the space they’ve opened up is on connecting flights. They’re offering married segment availability — award space that’s highly restrictive...”

See American Significantly Increases Coach Award Space On Connecting Flights, By Cranky Flier on Dec 21, 2017

How to Game American’s New Connecting Flight Award Availability to Get the Ticket You Want, by Gary Leff on December 26, 2017 but see post #75 by Psyclone*Jack; this loophole may now be closed.
Married Segment Logic and Effects on Awards

"When selling seats for through flights and the desired inventory is not available, you cannot opt to sell the flight point-to-point. If sold point-to-point, the error response MULTIPLE SEGMENTS FOR SAME FLIGHT - SELL AS ONE SEGMENT will be received, indicating this booking is not allowed. Overriding the error check by ending the PNR twice is not acceptable." Link to FT thread; see wikipost info by JonNYC and hillrider.

"Sometimes when you’re searching for award space... you’ll find that some seats will show as available when you search for them from origin to destination, but when you call to book the flights segment-by-segment, those flights show as unavailable."

"Married segment logic is a tool used by airlines that restricts availability based on origin and destination, rather than by segments."(DCTA, on Boarding Area)

Married segment logic controls routings based on origin and destination, rather than segment-by-segment availability. Boarding Area
Link to Boarding Area: Sunday Reader Question: What are married segments?

From Amadeus: Married Segment Control Link

Amadeus Married Segment Control is a revenue maximisation tool that ensures that airline revenue management decisions, made at availability time, are applied throughout the booking process. It prevents agents bypassing availability controls, based on origin and destination (O&D) information. It also improves both load factors and revenue forecasting accuracy.

Key benefits
  • Ensures more effective forecasting by preventing O&D misuse and matching revenue forecasts with final revenues.
  • Improves consistency of sales processes by controlling travel agent selling behaviour.
  • Fully customisable and flexible solution that meets airline unique system requirements.
Link to Worldspan page with extensive information on MSL and coding.

Older posts have been archived off to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nnections.html
Print Wikipost

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:18 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
SAAVER bc/fc was available for each segment LAS-CLT and CLT-JFK, but NOT for LAS-CLT-JFK, I let my booking which was on hold expire. Two days later ("magically") LAS-CLT-JFK was available for 25K miles.
E55 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
SAAVER bc/fc was available for each segment LAS-CLT and CLT-JFK, but NOT for LAS-CLT-JFK, I let my booking which was on hold expire. Two days later ("magically") LAS-CLT-JFK was available for 25K miles.
Availability has always come and gone and come (and gone...) I see on the routes that I follow that continues under this new reality. There is or will be some shift but the parameters are not clear to me yet. The trends that I know of are old news by now.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by michael1023
HUACA?
Originally Posted by acoburn73
Wild guess, but "hang up and call again" is likely this acronym. People just make up acronyms these days...
No need for wild guesses, or cast snark at other members . One merely has to use the Help menu above to surface the Glossary - link. There’s also an airport code lookup, Rules, etc.

Attached Images  
deeruck likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
If you realized this was due to the current issues with married segment availability, why blame it on the call center?
("AA Award Call Center Getting Worse")
I didn't make the distinction clear in my post but my issue was the married segment stuff and the fact the call center has in fact got worse over the years with the agents becoming increasingly rude and impatient/incompetent. I've found the international Aadvantage call centers to be much more competent and helpful.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by acoburn73
Wild guess, but "hang up and call again" is likely this acronym. People just make up acronyms these days...
Hardly just making it up, HUCA been used on FT for years...
jinglish likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nrr
This hits the absurdity nail on the head:
1) Segments are available individually with valid connection, but not origin to destination. This is the opposite of married segment availability increase. If you called in to book it or modify one of your holds, you would be read the riot act. We probably need a separate thread to discuss this.
2) Inconsequential time later, everything is available. What was emphatically impossible previously, now is no problem.

All of this for a 2MM customer. They can't get that squared away on a domestic flight for him(her)? Talk about a way to piss off your customers for no real business gain. How many people actually buy aanytime awards? Let alone the peak pricing ones?

The high volatility of award inventory in conjunction with the hard line and origin to destination availability calculation process is laughable. Valuation isn't that dithering at 2x the price. Wrong tool for the job. Either keep it how it was with segment constructions or go to dynamic pricing, the half-pregnant version is asinine.

AA is free to do whatever they want, but they should at least publish the rules/process.
1) Point to point construction applicability - what about partners? Customers should be able to confirm in advance their itinerary is available prior to calling to book, no clue as how to do that on mixed OW itineraries.
2) Change of segment(s) on held and ticketed itineraries - what availability is required? What about mixed carrier tickets?
3) To Complete Itinerary and To Complete Party - still exist?
4) EPs expanded availability? Even UA IT figured out how to display this on their website and in GDS. It may be worthless in practice like SDC, but at least I can see it exists without having to waste my time and phone agents time calling.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:26 pm

I think I ran into a different flavor today. I was booking XXX-CLT-DFW 25k FC award. The CLT-DFW segment always had FC availability. However, depending on which connecting CLT-DFW flight I picked, the 1st leg XXX-CLT exact same flight was sometimes in FC and sometimes in FC. I have never seen a certain flight availability dependent on which connection you pick. Two of the 6 connection options had the 1st flight in coach.

XXX-CLT Depart 7:30 arrive 10:00 Coach
CLT-DFW depart 11:55 arrive 2:00 FC

but

XXX-CLT Depart 7:30 arrive 10:00 FC
CLT-DFW depart 1:20 arrive 3:19 FC
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mileshound
I think I ran into a different flavor today. I was booking XXX-CLT-DFW 25k FC award. The CLT-DFW segment always had FC availability. However, depending on which connecting CLT-DFW flight I picked, the 1st leg XXX-CLT exact same flight was sometimes in FC and sometimes in FC. I have never seen a certain flight availability dependent on which connection you pick. Two of the 6 connection options had the 1st flight in coach.

XXX-CLT Depart 7:30 arrive 10:00 Coach
CLT-DFW depart 11:55 arrive 2:00 FC

but

XXX-CLT Depart 7:30 arrive 10:00 FC
CLT-DFW depart 1:20 arrive 3:19 FC
It's absurd and basically like AA punishing you for taking the shorter more desirable connection. You can have the nice 1:55 connection but your first flight will be in coach even though we are charging you for a full business award. If you want both flights in business, what you're paying for, then you have to take a much worse 3:20 connection.
GUWonder and E55 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Wanted a DFW-SCL Business Award, no joy. Had to do MIA-DFW-SCL to get the Business Award. But, I am coming from RNO and no award availability so I’ll need to buy another ticket that will go RNO-DFW-MIA in order to start the award trip. Lovely��

This makes it impossible to get EF alerts as they don’t do married segments, and if they did, where would you start to look?
deeruck likes this.

Last edited by 236Dakota; Jan 14, 2019 at 8:17 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
My home airport is a small regional airport and I have noticed many of the absurdities discussed here. Using AA miles on AA flights has become increasingly frustrating and feels punitive.

I wonder if anyone knows of a OW airline partner that still pieces together segments to create awards, and would therefore allow some of these AA flights using married segment 'logic' to be booked with their own mileage currency. For example, if DCA-PHL and PHL-YUL are both independently available as saver with a <4 hr connection between them, but DCA-PHL-YUL is not available as saver on aa.com, is there a partner that will price DCA-PHL-YUL as a single saver award by piecing segments together?
jackal likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I really don't get the logic of the "reverse married segment availability". I want to fly CHS-BOS and there are no nonstop options, fine. CHS-PHL is available in U (biz/first), as is PHL-BOS, with a valid connection time. However, CHS-PHL-BOS as a married segment only allows the first CHS-PHL leg in U, and the PHL-BOS leg is only showing as available in T (econ). So frustrating! I booked the routing with the 2nd econ leg and even though on its own, that leg has availability in biz, the AAgent would not let me swap. Even just a year ago, I was definitely allowed to swap individual legs if a seat opened up in U.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
I really don't get the logic of the "reverse married segment availability".
Well, I think that we have to assume that the effect that we see is the effect that AA wanted. If availability is harder to piece together and changes are harder to make then that's what AA intended.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
I really don't get the logic of the "reverse married segment availability". I want to fly CHS-BOS and there are no nonstop options, fine. CHS-PHL is available in U (biz/first), as is PHL-BOS, with a valid connection time. However, CHS-PHL-BOS as a married segment only allows the first CHS-PHL leg in U, and the PHL-BOS leg is only showing as available in T (econ). So frustrating! I booked the routing with the 2nd econ leg and even though on its own, that leg has availability in biz, the AAgent would not let me swap. Even just a year ago, I was definitely allowed to swap individual legs if a seat opened up in U.
There is nothing reversed about it - that is a standard thing with married segments - the agent will not let you swap simply because there is no availability ; that is not a change to AA proceudres a year ago; a year ago. I a seat opens up in U class for that leg as part of the through journey, you will be able to change

Originally Posted by Aristophanes80

I wonder if anyone knows of a OW airline partner that still pieces together segments to create awards, and would therefore allow some of these AA flights using married segment 'logic' to be booked with their own mileage currency. For example, if DCA-PHL and PHL-YUL are both independently available as saver with a <4 hr connection between them, but DCA-PHL-YUL is not available as saver on aa.com, is there a partner that will price DCA-PHL-YUL as a single saver award by piecing segments together?
If you want to book DCA-YUL via PHL, it doesn't matter which scheme you are booking through, the availability is the same regardless. The other airlines cannot just decide to ignore the availabilitty
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you want to book DCA-YUL via PHL, it doesn't matter which scheme you are booking through, the availability is the same regardless. The other airlines cannot just decide to ignore the availabilitty
I asked because up until a few years ago, it was possible to convince many booking engines to ignore married segment logic when pricing paid segments in an analogous way. If fare class K was available for DCA-PHL and K was also available for PHL-YUL, but only H was available DCA-PHL-YUL, aa.com gives you the H fare using married segment logic. However, up until a few years ago, there were booking engines that you could trick into giving you the K DCA-PHL-YUL fare using a multi-city booking, entering DCA-PHL and PHL-YUL separately. I used to routinely save money doing this (AFAIK, this doesn't work anymore for paid fares with any of the booking engines I've tried). It wouldn't surprise me if some partner airline with poorly integrated booking systems still uses availability on each leg to piece together an award booking, similar to how some revenue booking systems would (recently) allow you to piece together paid fares when individual segments were available at a given fare. Airlines can't ignore the availability, but they could be using the wrong availability.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I a seat opens up in U class for that leg as part of the through journey, you will be able to change
That's exactly what I'm saying ISN'T happening. A seat in U did indeed open up on the PHL-BOS leg, but I can't switch to it because if you search CHS-BOS, it doesn't show up as having U space on the full journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.