Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has increased award availability at the SAAver / MileSAAver level, apparently at the cost of reducing the availability of nonstop and direct routing and increasing availability requiring connections using married segment logic.

This means those originating travel at one hub may well find themselves forced to connect through another hub - whose residents will also be required to connect through another hub. This is suspected to be a way of accommodating SAAver awards without competing with those purchasing more convenient nonstop routing. See post #17 by ashill.

Gary Leff: “Cranky Flier got American to confirm last week that much of the space they’ve opened up is on connecting flights. They’re offering married segment availability — award space that’s highly restrictive...”

See American Significantly Increases Coach Award Space On Connecting Flights, By Cranky Flier on Dec 21, 2017

How to Game American’s New Connecting Flight Award Availability to Get the Ticket You Want, by Gary Leff on December 26, 2017 but see post #75 by Psyclone*Jack; this loophole may now be closed.
Married Segment Logic and Effects on Awards

"When selling seats for through flights and the desired inventory is not available, you cannot opt to sell the flight point-to-point. If sold point-to-point, the error response MULTIPLE SEGMENTS FOR SAME FLIGHT - SELL AS ONE SEGMENT will be received, indicating this booking is not allowed. Overriding the error check by ending the PNR twice is not acceptable." Link to FT thread; see wikipost info by JonNYC and hillrider.

"Sometimes when you’re searching for award space... you’ll find that some seats will show as available when you search for them from origin to destination, but when you call to book the flights segment-by-segment, those flights show as unavailable."

"Married segment logic is a tool used by airlines that restricts availability based on origin and destination, rather than by segments."(DCTA, on Boarding Area)

Married segment logic controls routings based on origin and destination, rather than segment-by-segment availability. Boarding Area
Link to Boarding Area: Sunday Reader Question: What are married segments?

From Amadeus: Married Segment Control Link

Amadeus Married Segment Control is a revenue maximisation tool that ensures that airline revenue management decisions, made at availability time, are applied throughout the booking process. It prevents agents bypassing availability controls, based on origin and destination (O&D) information. It also improves both load factors and revenue forecasting accuracy.

Key benefits
  • Ensures more effective forecasting by preventing O&D misuse and matching revenue forecasts with final revenues.
  • Improves consistency of sales processes by controlling travel agent selling behaviour.
  • Fully customisable and flexible solution that meets airline unique system requirements.
Link to Worldspan page with extensive information on MSL and coding.

Older posts have been archived off to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nnections.html
Print Wikipost

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
I was looking for PHL-BUF and found nothing on a saver award. I tried LGA as an alternate airport (I am located in NJ) and I found LGA-PHL-BUF available. I called the ExPlat line and they managed to book the PHL-BUF for 7.5K miles (The agent only found it after I explained to him that he needs to look originating in LGA)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
See this post by Cranky Flier on the issue. The positive spin on it is that AA has significantly increased SAAver award availability on connecting flights, but they're limiting nonstop availability to avoid cannibalizing paid fares (where they can command a premium on nonstops).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ashill
See this post by Cranky Flier on the issue. The positive spin on it is that AA has significantly increased SAAver award availability on connecting flights, but they're limiting nonstop availability to avoid cannibalizing paid fares (where they can command a premium on nonstops).
This seems to affect people originating or terminating in a hub.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
This seems to affect people originating or terminating in a hub.
Of course; they're the only ones who will ever get a nonstop on AA.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Time to follow Gary's instructions and get what I want direct.
Based on report on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-sfo-san.html , I would not rely on that working given that the poster reported that dropping the one segment of the married sectors was not possible
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:35 pm

AA will make it worse. Just give them a few months.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For what it's worth, I see lots of business award (U) and upgrade (C) availability on CDG-MIA in late August through mid-September...
(And in most cases there's more U than C, which is interesting).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ashill
[bolding mine]

The irony being that cash prices are cheapest for nonstops. Connections cost more.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
[bolding mine]

The irony being that cash prices are cheapest for nonstops. Connections cost more.
?

In my experience tacking on an extra segment drops the price, not increases it. AUS-DFW-LHR is cheaper than DFW-LHR by a long shot.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
?

In my experience tacking on an extra segment drops the price, not increases it. AUS-DFW-LHR is cheaper than DFW-LHR by a long shot.
In my example above, cash price for RT MIA-CDG is cheaper (albeit by less than $100 dollars) than RT MIA-CLT or DFW-CDG or FLL-xxx-CDG.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:31 pm

In my example above, cash price for RT MIA-CDG is cheaper (albeit by less than $100 dollars) than RT MIA-CLT or DFW-CDG or FLL-xxx-CDG.
That is certainly true in some cases, but I think it's inarguable that, on average, all else being equal, on most routes (with additional caveats I'm sure I'm missing), legacy airlines charge more for the convenience (and lack of competition) of a nonstop relative to a one-stop (where there is almost always more competition with routings which take a comparable amount of time).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:40 pm

So confused.

Trying to find a flight from SAN-DFW to connect with QR flight to DOH. When I search SAN-DFW...nothing. When I search SAN-MAD, it shows me a Y MileSAAver flight from SAN-DFW connecting to DFW-MAD.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Married segment availability means that one may not always successfully construct an award A-C given availability on segments A-B and B-C.

Search SAN-DOH, if DOH is your destination.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by craz
Had to book a JFK-SFO-LAX flight for next week, low and behold if my destination was SFO,LAS,SAN there were a min of 7 JFK-LAX non-stops I could have chosen but since LAX was my final destination, No Saver for you!
I see 6 non-stops Tuesday, 10 non-stops Wednesday, 4 non-stops Thursday, 2 non-stops Friday, all sAAver.

Monday I see 1 SFO connecting flight, 1 SAN connecting flight, and no sAAver at all to LAS non-stop, through LAX, or anywhere else.

Originally Posted by craz
The csr tells me Im in luck she can book me an Anytime Tkt for 25k for a non-stop I told her what she could do with herself.
For giving you options and trying to assist? I hope she responded in kind. Do you think she created award availability?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Married segment availability means that one may not always successfully construct an award A-C given availability on segments A-B and B-C.

Search SAN-DOH, if DOH is your destination.
That would be great if I could actually search QR availability on AA, but I can't.

I'll try to call tomorrow and see what they say....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.