Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any FTers Here Have Status and Fly Non Rev as Well??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond

I am a newly minted Platinum Pro (through work travel and some paid International J travel) who also has the opportunity to occasionally fly non-rev. I wondered if there is anyone else on here who has flown non-rev (on AA or anyone else) and still held Status with said carrier at the same time.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
One of my best buddies is as well. AA and DL baby status, with SO working for AA. I have to take him to international lounges when he's flying non-rev J sometimes.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
One of my best buddies is as well. AA and DL baby status, with SO working for AA. I have to take him to international lounges when he's flying non-rev J sometimes.
My Admirals Club membership works on some of the International J non-rev trips ( LHR, SCL, EZE) but I recently flew J out of MXP and I was like your buddy. No lounge access because I wasn't cleared until boarding. and no AC at MXP.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by MCI777
My Admirals Club membership works on some of the International J non-rev trips ( LHR, SCL, EZE) but I recently flew J out of MXP and I was like your buddy. No lounge access because I wasn't cleared until boarding. and no AC at MXP.
I think FT is like 1% of travel population. He cares very little about lounge access, as most of the time he flies non-rev for leisure with his SO when the J availability is good (JFK - MAD for example). I guess that's what most of non-rev care about, instead of a fancy lounge.
They also have higher priority on 3-class domestic F (JFK-LAX etc), which is something I don't agree with AA.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I think FT is like 1% of travel population. He cares very little about lounge access, as most of the time he flies non-rev for leisure with his SO when the J availability is good (JFK - MAD for example). I guess that's what most of non-rev care about, instead of a fancy lounge.
They also have higher priority on 3-class domestic F (JFK-LAX etc), which is something I don't agree with AA.
I was actually surprised at how many employees/non-rev flyers have Admirals Club memberships. Luckily, I don;t have to fly on a buddy pass since my family member is a retiree from AA. But flying Non-Rev definitely gives you a different perspective. I'm very cognizant to make sure paying pax are taken care of before me when I'm flying NR.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:17 pm

I was actually surprised at how many employees/non-rev flyers have Admirals Club memberships. Luckily, I don;t have to fly on a buddy pass since my family member is a retiree from AA. But flying Non-Rev definitely gives you a different perspective. I'm very cognizant to make sure paying pax are taken care of before me when I'm flying NR.
I told my buddy to get rid of AC membership after I showed him the fancy CX lounges at HKG, and he did.
MCI777 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:32 pm

I am a newly minted Platinum Pro (through work travel and some paid International J travel) who also has the opportunity to occasionally fly non-rev. I wondered if there is anyone else on here who has flown non-rev (on AA or anyone else) and still held Status with said carrier at the same time.
Yes, I know one.
MCI777 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCAstudent

Yes, I know one.
What status do they have if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Non-rev isn’t the same as it used to be...I have access to non-AA travel benefits and rarely use it....and I grew up flying all over non-rev
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Lifetime Platinum, Ritz, Marriott, SPG
Flying non-rev shouldn't affect your elite status per se. However, you will not be able to fully enjoy the benefits (i.e. early boarding, lounge access, etc.) unless the flight is wide open and you are given a boarding pass at the check-in counter. This rarely happens though. Otherwise, you will have to wait at the gate until you are cleared.

You will still be able to use the priority lane at check-in and security. Depending on where you're going, you should be able to show proof of status.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Non-rev isn’t the same as it used to be...I have access to non-AA travel benefits and rarely use it....and I grew up flying all over non-rev
I'm the same. EXP and I have non-rev benefits. But, I rarely use it anymore. Availability is often tight, and since my non-rev status is low, the odds are often just not worth it.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I have flown as a non rev with my gold status. You are not entitled to any of the elite benefits when on a pass.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
On Delta, I'm a non-rev Diamond Medallion. Relevant Diamond benefits (e.g. Sky Club) apply when I fly non-rev.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's an interesting place to be for sure! I non-rev with DL to go most places, but am also EXP with AA and 1K with UA, so I've got the bases almost covered in a sense. We have AC access through Citi and the Amex Plat for DL club access when doing the NRSA shuffle on them. I will say that having club access is an absolute must when non-revving these days, it really makes it tolerable with flights being as full as they are.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I've flown non-rev as an EXP. Of course, elite benefits do not carry over at the airport.

Were you able to get access to business class lounges using a non-rev business ticket? I thought this was a no-go, even with the AC (if you don't have a membership).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.