Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA OSO / IROPS Re-Booking - Use Another Carrier?

Old Jan 2, 18, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red

Looking for a bit of advice so hopefully I'm in the right place.

On Dec 31st my wife and I were due to fly TPA -> MIA (AA565) connecting to MIA-LHR (BA208). Ticketed by BA as a single booking. AA was coach (main cabin extra) and BA was business/club world.

The AA flight was over 2.5 hours late, which meant that our connection was impossible.

What's normal for AA in respect of re-booking in this scenario? I was extremely surprised at the lack of support AA offered.

The AA agent at TPA:
- initially offered only a re-route via CLT in economy all the way. Claimed TPA-LGW on BA was full.
- no re-booking with any other airline other than BA/AA, she would not even countenance using DL/VS/UA etc.
- spent ages and ages (30+ mins) on the phone to some back office on two occasions, neither of which seemed to yield anything other than a shrug.
- after nearly 2 hours of persistence, she finally conjured up 2 Club World seats on the direct TPA-LGW flight.
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc View Post

On Dec 31st my wife and I were due to fly TPA -> MIA (AA565) connecting to MIA-LHR (BA208). Ticketed by BA as a single booking. AA was coach (main cabin extra) and BA was business/club world.

The AA flight was over 2.5 hours late, which meant that our connection was impossible.

What's normal for AA in respect of re-booking in this scenario? I was extremely surprised at the lack of support AA offered.

The AA agent at TPA:
- initially offered only a re-route via CLT in economy all the way. Claimed TPA-LGW on BA was full.
- no re-booking with any other airline other than BA/AA, she would not even countenance using DL/VS/UA etc.
- spent ages and ages (30+ mins) on the phone to some back office on two occasions, neither of which seemed to yield anything other than a shrug.
- after nearly 2 hours of persistence, she finally conjured up 2 Club World seats on the direct TPA-LGW flight.
I'd expect to be protected in the cabin I booked unless I volunteered for a downgrade to arrive sooner than possible otherwise. I would never, however, rely on an airline employee to tell me what flights were available as this data is available to me via EF. Regarding your notes above about the offerings:

- Unacceptable to only offer up Y routing (I'd bet that's all she checked..."oh, i can get you there via CLT!"). Obviously you could have thrown the TPA-LGW lie in their face with the data
- I'd expect AA to allow airline switch if that is the best option. Don't think DL is a possibility there anymore, though.
- Pathetic service

In general, I think you should arm yourself with data regarding flight loads and potential routes to minimize pain. Always easier to stay on current airline/alliance so know those options. AA has many gateways to LHR and BA has many more. Glad it worked out
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:28 am

Programs: TK Elite
Expecting to be rebooked OAL will often lead to disappointment. In general only agents at the airport dealing with the distressed pax in front of them, will allow this and as a last resort.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jan 2, 18 at 10:39 am
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
(bolding mine)

AA and DL have no interline agreement or relationship - AA will never rebook on to DL (and vise versa)
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As to rebooking on other airlines, typically they try to rebook on AA/oneworld first, and other airlines as a last resort. They can only rebook though to airlines they have an interline agreement with, so DL wouldn't have been an option as AA and DL no longer interline. Many times the willingness to rebook on other airlines is dependent on the reason for the delay. They are more likely to be willing to rebook to OALs in mechanical situations. In weather situations, not so much.

Sometimes in IRROPs, the choice in rebooking is the flight that will get you there the fastest, but taking the downgrade, or having to wait quite awhile for availability but remain in your originally booked cabin. Unfortunately it sounds like your agent wasn't seeing that the 2nd (and main leg) was actually in business class or possibly just didn't care.
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First things first. Always check what is available to you for purchase. You are entitled to a refund and while the general rule is that last minute tickets are expensive, that is not always the case. If there are roughly equivalent seats to be had on any carrier or routing and at the same or lower price, simply take the refund on the misconnecting itinerary and book your own ticket.

It is hard to answer these questions in the abstract because it is unclear what the alternative available routings were. What about other AA/BA gateways such as ATL, IAD, PHL, EWR, JFK, and BOS. Or even ORD or DFW? As to the downgrade, that is really up to you. You simply decline a reroute in other than J and wait it out. But, only you know whether the urgency to get back to LON is greater than the desire for comfort.

You make it sound as though you disbelieved the AA agent regarding CW on the TPA-LGW service, but that makes no sense as it was a BA segment and a JV in any event. More likely is that there were no CW seats at the time and 2 hours later there were. People cancel or are flying in from elsewhere and will misconnect all the time.

As a general matter:

AA-AA reroute is, of course easy.
AA-BA is close to easy because it's a JV and thus no revenue issue.
AA-OA with interline is decent.
AA-DL not happening because they don't have an interline agreement. If you want that option, check the pricing because it may be doable to take the refund and then rebook your own ticket.
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
First things first. Always check what is available to you for purchase. You are entitled to a refund and while the general rule is that last minute tickets are expensive, that is not always the case. If there are roughly equivalent seats to be had on any carrier or routing and at the same or lower price, simply take the refund on the misconnecting itinerary and book your own ticket.

It is hard to answer these questions in the abstract because it is unclear what the alternative available routings were. What about other AA/BA gateways such as ATL, IAD, PHL, EWR, JFK, and BOS. Or even ORD or DFW? As to the downgrade, that is really up to you. You simply decline a reroute in other than J and wait it out. But, only you know whether the urgency to get back to LON is greater than the desire for comfort.

You make it sound as though you disbelieved the AA agent regarding CW on the TPA-LGW service, but that makes no sense as it was a BA segment and a JV in any event. More likely is that there were no CW seats at the time and 2 hours later there were. People cancel or are flying in from elsewhere and will misconnect all the time.

As a general matter:

AA-AA reroute is, of course easy.
AA-BA is close to easy because it's a JV and thus no revenue issue.
AA-OA with interline is decent.
AA-DL not happening because they don't have an interline agreement. If you want that option, check the pricing because it may be doable to take the refund and then rebook your own ticket.
This is a good post. My only nit to pick is a lot of travelers don't know to check other gateways - thats why AA has a customer support desk IMO. Sure, they may not be able to turn out some of the crazy .... we do here.. (DEN-DFW got cancelled so I did DEN-LAX-BNA-DFW , for example) but they certainly can check the other hubs and possibilities.
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Just to clarify. This was at TPA airport itself at the AA priority desk.

Regarding EF, I had understood that this was being withdrawn as a service/blocked for regular consumers who arenít a travel agent?
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding EF, I had understood that this was being withdrawn as a service/blocked for regular consumers who arenít a travel agent?
Where did you see that???
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Where did you see that???
I'd like to know too. Certainly nothing on EF's website suggesting anything of the sort.
Old Jan 2, 18, 2:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis

Regarding EF, I had understood that this was being withdrawn as a service/blocked for regular consumers who aren’t a travel agent?
ExpertFlyer’s customers aren’t agencies or even agents; they are individual subscribers. As a subscriber, I’ve not been communicated this change by ExpertFlyer. This is an unsubstantiated rumor that can be quickly checked out by contacting [email protected] or by PMing ExpertFlyer Voice.
@ExpertFlyer Voice
Old Jan 2, 18, 3:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
I wish AA could have rebooked you MIA-LHR, maybe overselling J to let you on? Alternatively, failing OW alternatives, perhaps rebooking on UA TPA-LHR through any UA hub that serves LHR.

Seems like poor service all around.
Old Jan 2, 18, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
I wish AA could have rebooked you MIA-LHR, maybe overselling J to let you on? Alternatively, failing OW alternatives, perhaps rebooking on UA TPA-LHR through any UA hub that serves LHR.

Seems like poor service all around.
"Overselling J".... Revenue management would have to clear that, and what do you think AA should do with the 2 extra passengers when everyone shows up?
Old Jan 2, 18, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

The AA agent at TPA:
It is possible
1. Club World was booked full 2 hours prior, and 2 seats opened up due to people missing that fight or other issues
2. Y was the only option for the near future.
DL/UA/VS are not normally done for IRROPS.... though I suspect there might be more leeway on other carriers if AA is late departing EU.... due to EU compensation
That said, the reverse is also true regarding these carriers booking you on AA
Old Jan 2, 18, 7:43 pm
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com

That is not correct, we continue to have AA status and availability data.
rossmacd likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: