Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Eagle LGA-CMH operated by what aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton

thank you all in advance for dealing with the autocorrect typos that I noticed hours later...now fixed.

I LOATHE the flight out of LGA but alas I must.

So I’ve never flown AA Eagle but have to now. I noticed that the flights are either by PSA or Envoy . I know that doesn’t mean too much but what a/c type is used on this route? The AA site denotes a CRJ and I think I’m seeing a 50 seater with no F class. Is that the usual?

Oh, also saw Republic flies the route , all for Eagle. So how are Envoy, PSA and Republic different? Never thought to ask. Thanks.

edit: These are for flights April 4 and April 8.

Last edited by the phoenix; Jan 2, 2018 at 1:27 pm Reason: autocorrect stinks....
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
When I fly out of CMH normally I am on an ER-145 or 175 with an F class. I get upgraded on that route about 75% of the time. Weird to see a CRJ, maybe seasonal demand, has anyone else seen a CRJ?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by the phoenix
I Lamothe the flight out of LGA but alas I must.

So I’ve never flown AA Eagle but have to now. I noticed that the flights are either by PSA or Envoy. I know that doesn’t mean too much but what a/c type is used on this route? The AA site denotes a CRJ and I think I’m seeing a 50 seater with no F class. Is that the usual?

Oh, also saw Republic flies the route , all for Eagle. So how are Envoy, PSA and Republic different? Never thought to ask. THanks.

If you gave your travel date people could comment more precisely on the available aircraft.

It's common for U.S. carriers that use regional jet contract carriers to use more than one. I would focus on the aircraft (E-175 very good, E-145 bad, CRJ very bad) more than the operating carrier.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days

So I’ve never flown AA Eagle but have to now. I noticed that the flights are either by PSA or Envoy. I know that doesn’t mean too much but what a/c type is used on this route? The AA site denotes a CRJ and I think I’m seeing a 50 seater with no F class. Is that the usual?

Oh, also saw Republic flies the route , all for Eagle. So how are Envoy, PSA and Republic different? Never thought to ask. THanks.

I took this route last month - generally, the first and last flights (westbound) are the E-175s. Lovely aircraft. Everything in between is usually the ERJ-145. Not a fun aircraft to ride on for even short flights.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you gave your travel date people could comment more precisely on the available aircraft.

It's common for U.S. carriers that use regional jet contract carriers to use more than one. I would focus on the aircraft (E-175 very good, E-145 bad, CRJ very bad) more than the operating carrier.
I'd take a CR9 or a CR7 over a E-145, personally. Why do you dislike them so much? Now the CR2? May they all be scrapped unceremoniously.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA PLT, Ent PLT
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'd take a CR9 or a CR7 over a E-145, personally. Why do you dislike them so much? Now the CR2? May they all be scrapped unceremoniously.
Agreed. The E145 is by far my least favorite plane to be on....
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:09 pm

I'm fairly regular on this route and it's almost always a 145 to/from LGA or JFK with one cabin. DCA and PHL flights have the 175 more often.

Couldn't tell you any noticeable difference between operating carriers.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

As of today, its showing as a CRJ. Seat map looks like a 50 seater. 2+2 seater.

Flights are April 4-8.
Thanks again for working through the autocorrect typos
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
IMHO coach in a CR7 or CR9 is no better than a CR2/CRJ. They stretched the fuselage - and lowered the floor about 3/4 of an inch. They didn't make the cabin any wider for the CR7 and 9.

(I use CRJ meaning CRJ-50/100/200, not meaning the Canadair passenger jet family - as does AA in its Choose Flights page.)
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
The CRJ-900 operated by PSA is quite comfortable and the aircraft are new-ish. It is a 2 class aircraft as is the ERJ-175. I generally fly CMH-CLT and those are the only aircraft Eagle flies between those airports. If you have a choice, get on the ERJ-175 operated by Republic - quite comfy especially if you can score one of the single seats in first. Regardless of aircraft type, none of these will accommodate a full-size rollaboard.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

No full size rollaboards? Yikes. So on such a small a/c, I guess they gate check a lot of stuff.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Lots of gate checking bags, yes. Also: the last trip I took to CMH departed from the horrible gate D9F/G at LGA (see description in my thread about AA's nastiest gates). Involved a bus to the plane and no jetbridge. Return also involved deplaning via stairs and then walking across the apron to an open door and up some stairs. Perhaps the same gate but just parked much closer to it or maybe it was closer to the bottom of D pier.
CMH by contrast is a really civilized airport: spacious, desks for working, plugs for electronics on most if not all seats, quite comfortable chairs, clean, bright etc.
rxgeek likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by salut0
CMH by contrast is a really civilized airport: spacious, desks for working, plugs for electronics on most if not all seats, quite comfortable chairs, clean, bright etc.
Wow, I surprised by this statement. I have been flying in and out of CMH a lot and rather think it a disappointing airport for a city of CMH's size. Three terminals not joined behind security limits access to amenities and decent food options. The interior is bland and completely uninspired and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out their ridiculous arrangements of jet bridges where as many as three gates merge into one jet bridge. Not a single airline with a club. Compared to airports in cities of a similar size: PIT, CVG, RDU, JAX, AUS, IND - CMH is disappointing.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by salut0
Lots of gate checking bags, yes. Also: the last trip I took to CMH departed from the horrible gate D9F/G at LGA (see description in my thread about AA's nastiest gates). Involved a bus to the plane and no jetbridge. Return also involved deplaning via stairs and then walking across the apron to an open door and up some stairs. Perhaps the same gate but just parked much closer to it or maybe it was closer to the bottom of D pier.
Honestly, I look forward to tarmac and apron transfers. It truly reminds me of the nostalgia of the way things were 25 years ago (and still in the islands)

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Wow, I surprised by this statement. I have been flying in and out of CMH a lot and rather think it a disappointing airport for a city of CMH's size. Three terminals not joined behind security limits access to amenities and decent food options. The interior is bland and completely uninspired and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out their ridiculous arrangements of jet bridges where as many as three gates merge into one jet bridge. Not a single airline with a club. Compared to airports in cities of a similar size: PIT, CVG, RDU, JAX, AUS, IND - CMH is disappointing.
Well I guess that goes to show how we all appreciate different things in life.

That said, I know I’ve taken the ERjs over a decade ago fro Houston to Mexico and IIRC they were 1-2 seats. And I *may* have taken an AA CRJ along the way but I just don’t recall the gate checking. But for the short flight, should be fine. THank you again for your perspectives.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I'll make this easy - book the Republic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.