Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Why do you think it needs to be reissued? If it's a significant enough of a schedule change (maybe 2+ hours, but you'd have to have a justifiable reason), then you can cancel and rebook on any airline you wish as long as there is award availability. If there's none, and the schedule change isn't suitable for you, Uour only option would be to cancel the entire booking free of charge.
If QR could not fly to CAI, your point is totally moot as there is NO FLIGHT currently - is that not justifiable reason to cancel?
Isn't it that when a flight is canceled, and the only obligation AA has, is to allow cancellation with redeposit fee waived?

I were OP I would call to find out what the AA solution is. If OP still wants to go to CAI, then he needs to find alternative route among oneworld carriers with availability.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anabolism
Thanks for pointing this out; I wasn't aware of this restriction (not that I'm planning on flying QR to/from Canada or Mexico). It looks like Canada, Mexico, and Central America are the only categorical restrictions. AA's partner earnings page for QR says:
Are you sure that that flights to and from Canada are actually excluded. There are other examples where AA has not listed a region but flights have counted

Might be worth trying to put an award booking on hold and seeing if it prices up ( given that it doesn't list redemptions as valid )
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Happy
If QR could not fly to CAI, your point is totally moot as there is NO FLIGHT currently - is that not justifiable reason to cancel?
Isn't it that when a flight is canceled, and the only obligation AA has, is to allow cancellation with redeposit fee waived?

I were OP I would call to find out what the AA solution is. If OP still wants to go to CAI, then he needs to find alternative route among oneworld carriers with availability.
Although QR is unable to fly there currently, for October Expert Flyer is showing flights not as cancelled. Once cancelled, definitely would be able to cancel and get a fee free mileage redeposit. I wouldn't assume that AA was permitting such cancellations until it is cancelled other than with any region waivers in effect
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
I won't presume to know the answer nor would I guess what AA agents or Advantage agents know. The DM exchange that was posted didn't inspire me.

I'm sure someone at AA knows the answer why CX or BA flights and the others I listed that originate in Canada will earn on AA, but QR, AY and IB won't
Folks are reporting that they've had ex-Canada QR flights post to AAdv, so it's my belief the whole thing is erroneous.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by anabolism
It looks like Canada, Mexico, and Central America are the only categorical restrictions. AA's partner earnings page for QR says:
Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qatar within the Middle East and between the Middle East and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Europe
  • South America
  • South Pacific
  • U.S
I have always taken such words, which I believe are on the earning page of each airline, to be merely an indication of where the particular airline flies, NOT implying restrictions on earning.

Two years ago I flew BKK-HAN on QR and earned miles. And intra-Asia flights are not listed above
I am 99.9% certain that Canada-Doha flights will earn miles.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Folks are reporting that they've had ex-Canada QR flights post to AAdv, so it's my belief the whole thing is erroneous.
If QR and the others are not excluded, then it would be nice for AA to correct their partner pages. It would also be nice not to have the confusion that seemed evident to me in that DM with AA.

It would be great if anyone who has flown QR ex-YUL or AY ex-YYZ etc, could post a confirmation on this forum.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:39 pm
Suspended

If QR and the others are not excluded, then it would be nice for AA to correct their partner pages. It would also be nice not to have the confusion that seemed evident to me in that DM with AA.

It would be great if anyone who has flown QR ex-YUL or AY ex-YYZ etc, could post a confirmation on this forum.
I'm confirming it.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:46 pm
Suspended

I'm confirming it.
THANKS!!!!!!!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm sure it has been on AA.com but I confess that I would never have thought that a ticket on a Oneworld carrier ex-Canada might not earn miles. Even stranger that BA earns but IB doesn't.
It never occurred to me until I read C17PSGR's post.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you sure that that flights to and from Canada are actually excluded. There are other examples where AA has not listed a region but flights have counted
I do not know from experience. I saw C17PSGR's post and looked up to see what the AA partner earning page says, because it sounded so strange to me. And then I saw JonNYC's post:

Yes, but is it accurate.
So it's great to read:

Before I read C17PSGR's post, I had always read the AA partner earnings page the same way pandaperth did, as more a statement of where the airline flies than anything else. But, come to think of it, it is strange to list the continents they fly to, and conspicuously omit "North America," listing only the U.S. instead.

Originally Posted by pandaperth
I have always taken such words, which I believe are on the earning page of each airline, to be merely an indication of where the particular airline flies, NOT implying restrictions on earning.

Two years ago I flew BKK-HAN on QR and earned miles. And intra-Asia flights are not listed above
I am 99.9% certain that Canada-Doha flights will earn miles.
Excellent to read.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm confirming it.
The partner pages for IB, AB, AY, LAN also only state the US but I haven't figured out who actually flies to/from Canada of that group.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Why do you think it needs to be reissued? If it's a significant enough of a schedule change (maybe 2+ hours, but you'd have to have a justifiable reason), then you can cancel and rebook on any airline you wish as long as there is award availability. If there's none, and the schedule change isn't suitable for you, Uour only option would be to cancel the entire booking free of charge.
Well because it needs to be reissued to reflect the date change... from 16th June to 19th Oct. I only booked QR because I'd get the F award seat to CAI.

But in any case, I just found out that my itinerary has disappeared because it was sitting in queue for so long that QR autocancelled the booking. Now it looks like I am unable to book it at all even foward dates etc as DOH-CAI has completely be taken out.

So will check with AA in the morning to see what to do. Best I guess is for them to cancel and refund the entire booking.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Has anyone has experience calling AA and asking them to change an award booking that was originally booked on QR to another partner? I am flying BOS-DOH-CPT, and am worried about what is going on with the Middle East countries placing sanctions on QR, and the possibility it may impact my flight.

I'd love if AA just said, "Sure we will rebook you on BA." But I know that is a long shot in the dark.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EP
Am sure they would rebook if space is available on another partner. But I wouldn't expect them to move heaven and earth with the liasons given that, at this point, your flights aren't impacted.

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Has anyone has experience calling AA and asking them to change an award booking that was originally booked on QR to another partner? I am flying BOS-DOH-CPT, and am worried about what is going on with the Middle East countries placing sanctions on QR, and the possibility it may impact my flight.

I'd love if AA just said, "Sure we will rebook you on BA." But I know that is a long shot in the dark.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The partner pages for IB, AB, AY, LAN also only state the US but I haven't figured out who actually flies to/from Canada of that group.
QR flies Wed, Fri and Sun from YUL to DOH (QR 763 B77W)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
QR flies Wed, Fri and Sun from YUL to DOH (QR 763 B77W)
I know QR does. It looks like they used to but no long fly out of YYZ.

I was referring to IB, AB, AY, and LATAM flights out of Canada. They are not listed as giving points for flights out of Canada either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.