Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by dwatcher
I paid $54 in taxes for IAD-AMD RT
Thanks for sharing your experience, very helpful to compare.

As I reported above in the thread, I was able to ticket for $48 in taxes for DEL-DFW-DEL.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by raj_cl
But for passengers on a US tourist visa, it's advisable to book a roundtrip so you have proof of return travel.
I can see no justification for this advice. In over 200 international flights, I have never had an immigration officer show any interest in my incoming flight or its relationship to my departing flight. In my experience, if they want to know about the details of ongoing travel then that's it.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I can see no justification for this advice. In over 200 international flights, I have never had an immigration officer show any interest in my incoming flight or its relationship to my departing flight. In my experience, if they want to know about the details of ongoing travel then that's it.
A lot depends on your names, background, looks etc ! Add the ICE official's disposition.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
A lot depends on your names, background, looks etc ! Add the ICE official's disposition.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:55 am

Good that this has never come up for you but it is not rare.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
BAD CALL. Booking as roundtrip means you lose all ability to make changes after the first segment is flown. No upgrades. No changes in routings. And if there’s any disruption at Etihad where they offer waivers, AA won’t honour since they’re unlikely to offer the same waiver. Always book one way awards. Full stop.
Good advice on booking one way awards in general, but don't know why you think you can't change an award routing after flying the first segment because you can.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EP
Oh goodie. It’s solved!

Thanks for the responses.

Reporting back that the ticket was issued with the correct amount of $48 in taxes, I just had to insist to the agent the next day, to check with the pricing desk and they were able to do it correctly. The ticket was on hold when I was requesting more info on flyertalk, so no danger of losing availability.

Lesson learnt, do not believe the agent blindly on quoted taxes, especially when your gut tells they are wrong. This has happened twice in the past week for me. If you get an incompetent agent, HUACA, and request help from pricing desk, of course putting the ticket on hold helps so you don't lose availability.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by kalia960
Thanks for the information! I am not having any success (booking JFK-AUH when availability can only be seen using an AUH-JFK-AUH search)...
Today I called NZ again and got transferred to an US agent. I hadn't heard of that happening before although I have been transferred to Trinidad. I hung up and tried something else---Singapore (based on a comment in OMAAT). Well, I got transferred to Fiji...and success, this agent was able to see the space!

I am not sure if it is a matter of the phone number used, or the agent's skills. My guess is that it is simply a random number generator on EY's computers. One just has to keep trying.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kalia960
Today I called NZ again and got transferred to an US agent. I hadn't heard of that happening before although I have been transferred to Trinidad. I hung up and tried something else---Singapore (based on a comment in OMAAT). Well, I got transferred to Fiji...and success, this agent was able to see the space!

I am not sure if it is a matter of the phone number used, or the agent's skills. My guess is that it is simply a random number generator on EY's computers. One just has to keep trying.
Good for you! And a very interesting data point. Thanks for sharing this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
But for passengers on a US tourist visa, it's advisable to book a roundtrip so you have proof of return travel. Arguably you can book 2 one-ways and the return one-way can serve as proof of return travel, but I've heard real-life incidents where the one-way has landed people in trouble with the customs officer, so decided to go with the roundtrip.
There are reported incidents where a customs officer doesn't accept a one-way outbound ticket as proof of onward journey? That seems quite bizarre.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
There are reported incidents where a customs officer doesn't accept a one-way outbound ticket as proof of onward journey? That seems quite bizarre.
It is bizarre, but an Indian citizen with a tourist visa entering the US doesn't need to take any chances. Especially with the new regime in the US.

I have seen US immigration officers being unnecessarily rude to third world travelers although I have never experienced it myself. The agent may interpret separate one-way tickets as a subterfuge, i.e. the return portion is intended to be refunded. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, since RT award tickets can be partially refunded also, but these guys don't travel much and they are given a lot of autonomy.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:13 am

Might be a silly question, but I want to book an Etihad F award, however the AA-account is in my wife's name (all points are accumulated through CC-spend). Would I be able to call and book the award, or would it have to be my wife going through it all?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by RVH85
Might be a silly question, but I want to book an Etihad F award, however the AA-account is in my wife's name (all points are accumulated through CC-spend). Would I be able to call and book the award, or would it have to be my wife going through it all?
Have your wife nearby when you call. I've had agents just allow me to book flights without question, and I've had others who have asked to speak to my wife to get permission first before allowing me to use her account.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:28 pm

DP: Booked AUH-LHR in F for late February. Called Australia. Wife wasn't required to verify account :-)
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:05 pm

Hello FT. Is it possible to book MLE-AUH- JFK- SFO all for 115k? JFK - SFO would be on AA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.