Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by piyush
Will I be able to book INV - LHR - AUH - BOM as single ticket?

BA is starting INV - LHR from May.
Looking at EY's fares,

INV-BOM is a constructed fare plus
the valid routes do not include London plus
BA is not a listed carrier

so would not be surprised at all if this was charged as 2 awards
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Just to confirm that nothing's changed since I last checked... it's still not possible to connect EY-EY via AUH to get from North America to Africa on a single award, right?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by AwardBee
Just to confirm that nothing's changed since I last checked... it's still not possible to connect EY-EY via AUH to get from North America to Africa on a single award, right?
Booked a couple of weeks ago and was priced as two awards: NA-AUH, AUH-Africa
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AwardBee
Only QR for connection in middle east at this time, some of these restrictions **might** start to get reevaluated post-devaluation, have definitely heard murmurs of same.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by shihyin
Booked a couple of weeks ago and was priced as two awards: NA-AUH, AUH-Africa
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Only QR for connection in middle east at this time, some of these restrictions **might** start to get reevaluated post-devaluation, have definitely heard murmurs of same.
Roger that, thanks guys. After devaluation, Africa F awards don't up in price by that much... 100K to 120K. Well, still a lot but not a disaster, and cheaper than paying for 2 awards pre-devaluation... hopefully they change the rules soon.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by gameover98
If I cancel my AA award tickets on EY how soon before the award inventory show up again?

Also how often do last minute EY F on the A380 open up? Reading some of the blogs it seems as if they do turn up regularly at T-14 or closer to departure, my own personal experience on KUL-AUH-KUL in EY J does seem to verify it, but just poking around the etihad website shows otherwise. I'm looking at the AUH-LHR return segments potentially in March 2017.
I don't know the answer to the first part of your question. However, I do know that when I've called AA to put on a hold or complete a booking, the inventory on EY's site disappears immediately. It could reappear in the same time frame - not really sure - or EY may limit that so their RM has a chance to re-assess.

Last-minute availability seems to fluctuate a lot based on availability and time. I'll note that for the next 2 days, LHR-AUH GuestFirst availability is 0 even though there are 4-5 seats open. However, 3 days out, there are 5-6 seats left (even on A380) with all but 1 available for GuestFirst booking. From my searches lately, it looks like there tends to be good availability toward the last minute IF there are seats open.

That said, the best thing you can do is just be checking back frequently. I've been hopping on 3x/day for the past 2 weeks, and while it's been a pain in the ..., a couple nights ago at 1am I managed to score exactly the 2 seats in Apartment that I was waiting for. (I don't think they released more inventory; I think someone just changed their booking.)
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Steven6702
That said, the best thing you can do is just be checking back frequently. I've been hopping on 3x/day for the past 2 weeks, and while it's been a pain in the ..., a couple nights ago at 1am I managed to score exactly the 2 seats in Apartment that I was waiting for. (I don't think they released more inventory; I think someone just changed their booking.)
I think checking frequently is probably what I'll end up doing. Flying out BOM-AUH-LHR later in the year with the family, I managed to snag 2 F and 3 J. I don't expect to get lucky and have more F seats open up before March 22nd but I do some some dates with 4 (sometime in late October) or even 6 (Feb 29th) F seats open!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:39 pm

I think checking frequently is probably what I'll end up doing.
Or you could pay wander.me $3/month to do the checking for you. (I have no financial relationship with them beyond paying them $3/month.)
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:41 pm

EY last minute availability is hard to predict and erratic at best.

I flew LHR-AUH and AUH-SYD in Apartments back in December. I nabbed the last open seat on the afternoon LHR-AUH 2 days before departure, whereas other days had 5 or 6 empty seats and no award space opened.

I booked into AUH-SYD with 4 empty seats 4 days before departure, and on this leg I noticed the last minute availability was more consistent. It seemed that as long as there was at least 2 available seats, one would open in the week before departure.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Or you could pay wander.me $3/month to do the checking for you. (I have no financial relationship with them beyond paying them $3/month.)
Very interesting!! How do their Etihad alerts work? I haven't seen anyone else doing this, wonder if it's manual or a scrape of some sort.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:19 am

I think checking frequently is probably what I'll end up doing. Flying out BOM-AUH-LHR later in the year with the family, I managed to snag 2 F and 3 J. I don't expect to get lucky and have more F seats open up before March 22nd but I do some some dates with 4 (sometime in late October) or even 6 (Feb 29th) F seats open!
Just as a data point, I let an EY hold expire at 11:59 last night, checked when I got to work at 6:30 this morning and the inventory was already back there. So I would guess it shows back up very quickly, if not immediately.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:34 pm

I have an award ticketed LAX-AUH-BOM, where the AUH-BOM leg is in Y, i see that 2 first opened up on the same flight, anyone have any experience with snagging seats in higher class cabin after an award has been ticketed?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
I have an award ticketed LAX-AUH-BOM, where the AUH-BOM leg is in Y, i see that 2 first opened up on the same flight, anyone have any experience with snagging seats in higher class cabin after an award has been ticketed?
just call them and change it. is your award ticket in J or F? if your ticket is in F then you wouldnt pay anything, they would simply move you to F. if your ticket is in J you can move to F by simply paying the mileage difference (22,500)
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt
just call them and change it. is your award ticket in J or F? if your ticket is in F then you wouldnt pay anything, they would simply move you to F. if your ticket is in J you can move to F by simply paying the mileage difference (22,500)
F award, so shouldn't be any more miles. It was a voluntary downgrade given that there wasn't any F seat available for the one leg.

However, given the recent issues with booking/ticketing flights that connect in AUH, i wasn't sure if that still exists.

Thanks, will call AA AUS and try doing this tonight.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
F award, so shouldn't be any more miles. It was a voluntary downgrade given that there wasn't any F seat available for the one leg.

However, given the recent issues with booking/ticketing flights that connect in AUH, i wasn't sure if that still exists.

Thanks, will call AA AUS and try doing this tonight.
Ya it's very simple. The only question is if they can see the seat. If not I'm sure the Australian call center can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.